OT: Off-Topic, again.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even if I root vs the Yankees? And YOU bleed Columbus, (and bandwidth) what gives you the right?
I'm a quarter New York City Yankee on my mother's side* so I'm qualified to judge.

*: For those who have been keeping track - yes, my Nashville grandmother picked a New York City banker's son and grandson to be my grandfather (z''l). I have an interesting family.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Why did Mason and Dixon survey that line?

I seem to remember crossing from PA to MD.
My daughter asked, "In what state is Hagerstown?" when we stopped for gas.

Answer: In the skinny part of Maryland.
Well a little more to it than the Mason Dixon line. If you are in Maryland you are considered a Yankee too. I mean no one considers being in D.C. as being in the South and its across the river from Virginia.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The line was established to end a boundary dispute between the British colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware. Due to incorrect maps and confusing legal descriptions, the royal charters of the three colonies overlapped.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Well a little more to it than the Mason Dixon line. If you are in Maryland you are considered a Yankee too. I mean no one considers being in D.C. as being in the South and its across the river from Virginia.
Agreed, but the genesis of how DC became the nation's capital is that it in order for the Southern states to agree for the national government to assume the debts incurred by the Northern states (largely to finance the Revolution), the concession from the North was that the new federal capital would be located in the "South". So at the time, DC was regarded to be part of the South, and in fact the original boundary design for DC was for it to be perfectly square over an area of 100 square miles, which incorporated land from both Maryland and Virginia. The "Alexandria" portion of the land south of the Potomac was returned to Virginia in the 1840s, leaving us with the oddly-shaped territory carved out of Maryland as DC today.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Agreed, but the genesis of how DC became the nation's capital is that it in order for the Southern states to agree for the national government to assume the debts incurred by the Northern states (largely to finance the Revolution), the concession from the North was that the new federal capital would be located in the "South". So at the time, DC was regarded to be part of the South, and in fact the original boundary design for DC was for it to be perfectly square over an area of 100 square miles, which incorporated land from both Maryland and Virginia. The "Alexandria" portion of the land south of the Potomac was returned to Virginia in the 1840s, leaving us with the oddly-shaped territory carved out of Maryland as DC today.
Correct, but that is a different era and context. Post Civil War it wasn't really considered Southern even if it was right next to Southern Territory. The Civil War pretty much changed how the whole country viewed what was North and what was South.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Apparently I haven't had quite enough 70's this year. Spur of the moment concert at the Ryman. The headliner was Jon Anderson (front man for Yes) with a different group backing him. I'd seen Yes at one point (Owner of a Lonely Heart time frame) To my ears, and I'll admit I'm not the most ardent Yes fan, it sounded pretty darn close to Yes. My sister and Mr Adz enjoyed it immensely and I liked it.

The opener was Carl Palmer of Emerson Lake and Palmer which is a little more my style. Emerson and Lake both passed away some 8 years ago but Palmer played the drums with live guitarists along with audio/video of Emerson and Lake. You could tell CP was definitely enjoying his front man status and he was quite personable. I never saw ELP in concert so this is as close as I'll ever get. Mr Adz said he'd have paid an additional $30 NOT to see that, but I liked it better than Yes. After seeing them and Springsteen a few months ago I can make the following observations: boomers in concerts attempt to do the same moves we did in the 70's (clapping hands in the air, an occasional yowl, a few random spurts of dancing before having to sit down to rest) and a cane is a far cooler look than a walker.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I take my tricycle to the gas station across the street to inflate my tires. I have $.75 in my pocket. I assume that would have been enough there to put my tires for three minutes. Three minutes $1.75.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I take my tricycle to the gas station across the street to inflate my tires. I have $.75 in my pocket. I assume that would have been enough there to put my tires for three minutes. Three minutes $1.75.
:huh: Air should be free? If it isn't, trike on down to my place and I got you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad