Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Pt II: It's the off-season in November!... Wait. That's normal for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think with a guy like Kim, who likely comes in at $10 million or less a year, is that there's very little risk. If he stinks, you still have him as a decent bench player who can play multiple positions. Not the ideal outcome at that price but that's the way she goes. On the other end, you could end up with a 25 year old signed through his prime with all-star potential. I'd pretty easily sign him.

I know in the end it likely just comes down to money anyway, making this mostly irrelevant, but I would be curious if A) the Jays would be willing to play him at SS and move Bo elsewhere for an unproven player, or B) he would be willing to sign somewhere to play 3B only.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Transformation of Vlad Guerrero Jr. an early highlight of Blue Jays off-season | Toronto Sun

vladweights-e1606397528382.jpg

Blue Jays slugger Vlad Guerrero Jr. has dropped a lot of weight. Photo by Vladimir Guerrero /Instagram

Of course, Charlie Montoyo had seen the pictures and like anyone associated with the Blue Jays was both impressed and encouraged.

The Jays manager had also heard similar talk from Vlad Guerrero Jr. in the past, however – that the superstar in waiting was working hard and was committed to getting lighter and fitter to help reach those sky-high expectations. So, if there was a caution to Montoyo’s optimism from the startling images of a new-look Vlad, who could blame him?

Whatever doubts that might have existed were quickly vaporized when Montoyo, Guerrero and Jays general manager Ross Atkins met in Florida last month, however. The results — which are widely visible on Guerrero’s colourful and extensive Instagram account — are certainly eye-popping. But it was the resolve that the 21-year-old appeared to be carrying that perhaps has resonated strongest with Jays officials.

“He’s really committed,” Montoyo said over the phone from his off-season home in Tucson, Ariz. “He wants to get down to wherever he wants to get down to and he’s working really hard. You can see it in his eyes when you are talking to him and it’s like ‘trust me, I’m going to get there.’ And he’s doing it.

“I’m proud of him and how hard he’s working. He really looks good.”

Multiple people we spoke with who have seen Guerrero in the (reduced) flesh this off season, have raved at his makeover. And all are excited to see how it affects his performance going forward.

“He looks good with dropping the weight but maintaining his strength,” Jays catcher Danny Jansen told the Toronto Sun. “He looks quicker and more mobile which is going to make all aspects of his game stronger.”

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Just can’t see the Jays being able to draw top talent to Buffalo/Toronto. It’s just too hard of a sell. I therefore expect most talent to be landed via trade. I hope I’m wrong, but...

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just can’t see the Jays being able to draw top talent to Buffalo/Toronto. It’s just too hard of a sell. I therefore expect most talent to be landed via trade. I hope I’m wrong, but...

I would have agreed with that before last year but with teams looking to save money and most of the big spenders capped out or close to it, i think the Jays will land at least 1 star player. The key is timing, if the Jays can land 1 star early in the off-season then suddenly they look a lot more appealing to other stars and players who can make a difference.

In the end money talks like it did with Ryu.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

You’d be surprised how convincing an extra year than the other team can be.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Jays reportedly interested in Brad Hand. Why not just trade your entire roster and sign every free agent?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
5 Black Friday deals we’d like to see
4) A Blue Jays blockbuster
Blue Jays get: SS Francisco Lindor and RHP Triston McKenzie

Indians get: OF Lourdes Gurriel Jr., RHP Simeon Woods Richardson (Blue Jays’ No. 4 prospect), SS Rikelvin De Castro (Blue Jays’ No. 17 prospect) and RHP Julian Merryweather (Blue Jays’ No. 20 prospect).
In a recent piece looking at potential Lindor fits, my colleague Andrew Simon proposed an ambitious ask on the part of the Indians in a straight-up deal for Lindor. This is a modified version of that deal, with McKenzie’s inclusion a key to improving the surplus value received by the Blue Jays and Cleveland getting a diverse assortment of talent in return.

Given Lindor’s pending free agency, his ho-hum 2020 season, his stark arbitration cost (which could be somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million) and the depth of shortstops available in the open market this winter and next, only a small pool of teams justify the dual-acquisition costs of Lindor right now. But this deal would net the Blue Jays the veteran bat and defensive upgrade they need while also bringing in a live and ready young arm (with six seasons of contractual control) for the rotation. It would also put Toronto in good position to potentially extend Lindor’s stay beyond '21. With Gurriel gone, Randal Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez can man the outfield corners, the Blue Jays sign Jackie Bradley Jr. to play center field and -- voila! -- their position player group is ready to rock.

The Indians reel in the instant outfield upgrade they sorely need in Gurriel (who is under control at mostly locked-in and affordable rates through 2024), while also nabbing three good prospects (Merryweather is the young pitcher the Tribe sent to the Blue Jays in the Josh Donaldson trade, so that’s fun) and saving a ton of cash at a time when money isn’t easily moved in the industry. With the books almost totally clear of big money and the farm system dramatically deepened by recent deals, the Tribe gets a reset that could lead to a quick revival.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Each team's most intriguing Rule 5 prospect
Blue Jays: Kevin Smith, SS/3B (No. 19)
Smith had a big up arrow next to his name heading into 2019 after he’d batted .302/.358/.528 with 28 homers, 31 doubles and 21 steals between Class A Lansing and Class A Advanced Dunedin in his first full season. The 2017 fourth-rounder hasn’t come close to matching that production, struggling mightily in both Double-A and the Arizona Fall League, but he’s a solid defensive infielder with plus raw power when he makes contact.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I know in the end it likely just comes down to money anyway, making this mostly irrelevant, but I would be curious if A) the Jays would be willing to play him at SS and move Bo elsewhere for an unproven player, or B) he would be willing to sign somewhere to play 3B only.
There's question marks for sure. Can the new guy play above-average D at SS? if so, what does that mean for Bo, Biggio, Vladdy etc. It would have a domino effect. It's a good problem to have really, on paper. The front office has focused in on those Zobrist types but you've gotta figure the guys wanna settle in on one position after a while.

Reactions: Discoverer

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
New stadium for the Jays to go public soon?

Rogers plans to demolish Rogers Centre, build new ballpark in its place - 680 NEWS

My understanding Canada Lands owns the property where it sits. Looking at a mixed use development on north end with stadium in the south side. Could look at some waterfront locations.

If they're going to tear down and build on the same property, they may have call Buffalo home a little longer :D

weems

Jul 3, 2008
New stadium for the Jays to go public soon?

Rogers plans to demolish Rogers Centre, build new ballpark in its place - 680 NEWS

My understanding Canada Lands owns the property where it sits. Looking at a mixed use development on north end with stadium in the south side. Could look at some waterfront locations.

If they're going to tear down and build on the same property, they may have call Buffalo home a little longer :D

This would be so sick.

Bo, Vlad, Biggio, Martin would be in prime years.

Reactions: Leafin

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Seems to me more like they wouldn't have a stadium for all those guys in their prime years.

Not sure how they would pull that off without relocating the team for an extended period of time.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Does having the team play in Montreal for a year or 2 make any sense? Of course let's assume Covid is under control and the pandemic is over well before then

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

This would be so sick.

Bo, Vlad, Biggio, Martin would be in prime years.

That seems too good to be true, especially the "privately funded" part. Although I'm sure Rogers knows there's no chance any level of government contributes a penny to a stadium over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad