GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Guys…. I would put some more trust by now that Zito knows what he’s doing.

Last season with Monty and Ek out we were supposed to suck on D, few here were trusting that OEL and Kulikov and Mikkola would get it done.

I think Boquist will have a breakout season.

Just because Zito made the move, doesn't mean it will be 100% a slug out of the park. It was a no-risk move. I don't have a problem with it, but just because Zito did it doesn't mean it's gonna turn into gold. He's the best GM in the league but he's not Jesus. I mean there's a reason Boqvist had to wait a week into free agency and only got 750k.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Boqvist was on Chicago and Columbus. Both trash teams.

Also, Monty entered the league at freaking 22 lol. He was allowed to develop more than Boqvist.

Well not to sound like a dick but life isn't fair. Boqvist wasn't allowed to develop, and he's at where he's at.... which is a long way from Montour. Also, my point was that Boqvist wasn't playing top pairing minutes like Monty was in Buffalo. He was being sheltered and still couldn't cut it.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Well not to sound like a dick but life isn't fair. Boqvist wasn't allowed to develop, and he's at where he's at.... which is a long way from Montour. Also, my point was that Boqvist wasn't playing top pairing minutes like Monty was in Buffalo. He was being sheltered and still couldn't cut it.
And Montour, at age 27, couldn't cut it in Buffalo lol

The top two dman on that team was Risto Dahlin

His player card when we acquired him.

20240804_022052.jpg

2nd Pair

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Boqvist at ages 19-23 was a much better player than Montour at the same age, who wasn't even in the NHL. Hell, his pace throughout his NHL career has been on par with Montour's 23-26 year old seasons.. yes, he has a crap ton to improve defensively, but his injuries have played a large role in him being a bit disappointing.

He definitely has a higher ceiling as a player, whether he'll reach it remains to be seen

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Boqvist at ages 19-23 was a much better player than Montour at the same age, who wasn't even in the NHL. Hell, his pace throughout his NHL career has been on par with Montour's 23-26 year old seasons.. yes, he has a crap ton to improve defensively, but his injuries have played a large role in him being a bit disappointing.

He definitely has a higher ceiling as a player, whether he'll reach it remains to be seen
You can't expect every player to break out, but our pro scouts should get some faith from our fanbase.

He is a former top 10 pick, 8th, NHL skill isnt in question, all he really needs to do is stay healthy for a full season.

Stick him at #5 with Kulikov as his partner, 15-18 minutes a night, with PP chances.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

The injuries are the biggest thing for me. The team is going for another cup, I don't think they can put faith in a guy who has never stayed healthy. It's too risky even if he plays great.

Reactions: Felidae

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The injuries are the biggest thing for me. The team is going for another cup, I don't think they can put faith in a guy who has never stayed healthy. It's too risky even if he plays great.

To be fair the same can be said for any other player including our top pairing d-man Mr Ekblad. While it's true that some players are more injury prone than others, it still stands that any player can get hurt. Our top center has a long history of injuries.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
And Montour, at age 27, couldn't cut it in Buffalo lol

The top two dman on that team was Risto Dahlin

His player card when we acquired him.

View attachment 899087

2nd Pair

Montour couod cut it. He was highly sought after at the '21 trade deadline, his name was popular in trade rumors. Everyone knew not to trust the numbers, he was a good player despite them. Again, he was good in Anaheim. Buffalo gave up a 1st rounder for him.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Montour couod cut it. He was highly sought after at the '21 trade deadline, his name was popular in trade rumors. Everyone knew not to trust the numbers, he was a good player despite them. Again, he was good in Anaheim. Buffalo gave up a 1st rounder for him.
That's moving the goal post.

Anaheim was a playoff team you keep saying he played top pair.

Where?

He was bad in Buffalo point blank

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Where?

Lol he was not bad in Buffalo. Anyone who watched him knew he was playing decently but terribly deployed. They were giving him tough defensive matchups when that's not his game. Again, he was heavily desired at the trade deadline. If he was having a terrible year, nobody would have wanted him, least of all Zito.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
To be fair the same can be said for any other player including our top pairing d-man Mr Ekblad. While it's true that some players are more injury prone than others, it still stands that any player can get hurt. Our top center has a long history of injuries.

But this is a guy who isn't established at least IMO and hasn't played a healthy year. I'm all for him making it, hopefully another Zito gem, but I have my doubts. Even with his defensive lapses Montour was a huge competitor and a spark plug, A. Boqvist always seemed just kind of there when I remember seeing him.

Anyway, all pizza and love, Barkov holding the cup is all I needed to see in my life. Anything extra is a plus.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Lol he was not bad in Buffalo. Anyone who watched him knew he was playing decently but terribly deployed. They were giving him tough defensive matchups when that's not his game. Again, he was heavily desired at the trade deadline. If he was having a terrible year, nobody would have wanted him, least of all Zito.

Stop saying he was highly sought after… Geez !

The man was a RIGHT-HANDED DEFENSEMAN that fetched a THIRD round pick…

You have any clue what a "heavily-desired" or "highly-coveted" right-handed D that’s only 27 years-old at the time can fetch at the trade-deadline ?

Buffalo was terrible, and he was part of the problem, so was the coaching and everything else.

His value was a third, which isn’t a lot for a right-handed puck-mover at the blueline.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Where?

He was there when they had too many RHD on their roster, eventually they were scratching him and even using him ala Pysyk on the RW. Idk all the reasons why it didn’t go well in Buffalo. He certainly turned it around in Florida.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Him celebrating some beer league cup win right after we won is funny as hell. Or embarrassing. Or something in between. Someone should tell Huby that's not the real cup.

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8