GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
Another article from The Athletic on "NHL front-office confidence rankings, 2024: How fans feel about every team". Guess who is no 1 ;):

For those of you without the subscription, here's the bit on our team:

1. Florida Panthers

1722951066130.png

Last year: 7th

“I don’t think it’s possible to trust a GM more than I trust Zito. The only thing we haven’t seen yet is if his team can draft as well as they can scout pro players … not that he’s had a ton of high picks to work with.”

“Any move they make pays off. I was highly critical when Maurice was hired and even somewhat skeptical when they traded so much for Tkachuk. Then they immediately made the Final, tweaked the roster, and won it all!”

There is simply no better-managed team in hockey than the Florida Panthers and that’s become clear as day after their meticulous process resulted in hockey’s ultimate prize this summer.

Everything the Panthers seem to touch turns into gold. Whether it’s a trade, a signing or an extension — it feels like they’re operating on an entirely different level from other teams. Even when certain moves don’t make sense at the time, the Panthers prove otherwise. Every player who comes to Florida looks like an amplified version of himself, and they all get signed for a fraction of their real worth. There’s something in the water here and it feels like one Stanley Cup might be just the beginning of this era. Doubt them at your own peril.

There’s a lot of love for Bill Zito among the Panthers faithful, rightfully so given the team he’s built and the deals he’s signed. But a full front-office effort from top to bottom has the Panthers on the right side of so many deals. They are the league’s gold standard.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Honestly it still feels like a dream. A good one mind you.
All these years of mediocrity, high draft picks, hoping for a brighter future that really never came. For so many years. I always dreamed we’d “get there”. Other teams did. Chicago, Pittsburg, LA, Washington, why did they suck and build their franchise into a winner but never us? Absolutely lucking out in the draft helps (Crosby, Malkin, ovechkin, Kane, toews) but just sucked how other teams eventually transformed from bottom feeders to winners and then there’s us always stuck running on the hamster wheel but never getting anywhere. We deserved to get there too. It’s insane to think but…we’re finally here! We made it, we did it! I don’t know if it’ll ever truly sink in. In the past 3 years we won the presidents’ trophy, back to back conference champs and now winning the cup. Absolutely unfathomable. And finished as a top-4 team 4yrs ago. These 4yrs have been such a gift, we got our big guys locked in, the owners stay committed, we finally have a gold standard front office, let’s see how long they can keep this going. I’ll be enjoying every second of it

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Stop saying he was highly sought after… Geez !

The man was a RIGHT-HANDED DEFENSEMAN that fetched a THIRD round pick…

You have any clue what a "heavily-desired" or "highly-coveted" right-handed D that’s only 27 years-old at the time can fetch at the trade-deadline ?

Buffalo was terrible, and he was part of the problem, so was the coaching and everything else.

His value was a third, which isn’t a lot for a right-handed puck-mover at the blueline.

Lol he was highly sought after. I remember us discussing him here as a potential fit. His name was definitely out there. He was not part of the problem in Buffalo. He was misused there and was one of the only solid D they had. Did he come here and miraculously immediately figure out how to be an NHL player? No, he was all along.

Stop making it out like Boqvist is equal to what Monty was at the time. .That is a joke. Boqvist is a couple bad seasons from being out of the NHL.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I don’t know if boqvist will work out, he’s had injury issues that may still persist, hear he’s not really physical at all, it cost league minimum so it’s certainly worth the dice roll. What I do know is zito and his staff know how to identify players and the D that are brought in, no matter who they are just seem to thrive under Maurice and his coaching staff. Whether it’s the overall schemes the team plays with or the way they specifically handle the defense, they seem to enable them in a way that most teams don’t or can’t. We made it to the Stanley cup with half of our D corp consisting of Josh Mahura (who ducks fans weren’t too high on when we claimed him), Gudas who is a solid physical bottom pairing player, and an old Marc Staal. We then lose half of our D and replace them with Mikkola (rangers fans weren’t that high on him when we signed him), Kulikov, and a recently bought out OEL….and we made it to the cup final again…and won! Not to mention claiming Forsling off waivers and acquiring montour for a 3rd. Even balinskis really impressed me from what I saw out of him. I think this is the perfect team for boqvist to try and take his game and career to the next level. Maybe he doesn’t, but I’m eager to see what we can do with him. And I think Schmidt, play style and personality and all, will fit like a glove here.

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Lol he was highly sought after. I remember us discussing him here as a potential fit. His name was definitely out there. He was not part of the problem in Buffalo. He was misused there and was one of the only solid D they had. Did he come here and miraculously immediately figure out how to be an NHL player? No, he was all along.

Stop making it out like Boqvist is equal to what Monty was at the time. .That is a joke. Boqvist is a couple bad seasons from being out of the NHL.

So you are saying a highly-sought after, right-handed, under 30, puck-moving defenseman only brought back a THIRD-ROUNDER ?

Okay...

Can I laugh it out loud like you ?

And I was talking about Montour, I didn't bring up Boqvist and his potential.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I just dont see how saying anything other than Montour getting better after being WITH FLORIDA makes sense.

And certainly calling him a top pairing defenseman also doesnt track.

And this is from someone who doesnt even like analytics that much. But when the only information I have to rely on are said analytics since I am not about to rewatch games from 6 years ago lol.

I will certainly be eager to see how he performs in Seattle given how bad he was last season in all honesty. He was REALLY f***ing good Game 7 though, so I will forever love him for that. But he was really f***ing bad all season lol.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I just dont see how saying anything other than Montour getting better after being WITH FLORIDA makes sense.

And certainly calling him a top pairing defenseman also doesnt track.

And this is from someone who doesnt even like analytics that much. But when the only information I have to rely on are said analytics since I am not about to rewatch games from 6 years ago lol.

I will certainly be eager to see how he performs in Seattle given how bad he was last season in all honesty. He was REALLY f***ing good Game 7 though, so I will forever love him for that. But he was really f***ing bad all season lol.
I think this is pretty accurate.

I also think that Monty won’t be a big force in Seattle. But I could be wrong, West is a bit different.

But I don’t mind either way for him, he was critical in stopping the tying goal (with Bob and Fors and Luo) in game 7, he’s forever a stud.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think this is pretty accurate.

I also think that Monty won’t be a big force in Seattle. But I could be wrong, West is a bit different.

But I don’t mind either way for him, he was critical in stopping the tying goal (with Bob and Fors and Luo) in game 7, he’s forever a stud.

By comparison. Here is another one that was in Sabre Hell

Now that is someone who was sought after lmao

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I guess the biggest point out of all of this is Florida has done a good job at rehabbing/revitalizing careers....except Chiarot. Dogshit is dogshit.

Even OEL was revived

Even if it is an incremental improvement, we take it.

Boqvist is entering Florida with higher metrics than Montour, and was on par with Vancouver OEL.

Taper your expectations, but I would lean towards optimism. Pair him with Kuligod and flourish.

lmao

Oh f*** yeah even Chiarot improved Lmfao. And that was before PoMo!!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad