GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
I'm honestly kind of still in disbelief and expecting to find out I was in a coma the past month. I wouldn't care if Florida missed the playoffs but I do think they're still the team to beat, the East is kinda shit. Canes are way, way, worse, Bruins are the same, Leafs are the Leafs, Rangers didn't improve and while Florida is probably worse, they were a lot better than Boston and NYR, I don't think the gap has shrunk that much. The West is insane, Nashville will be great, Edmonton's loaded up, they had a great July 1st, Dallas and Colorado are still good but you don't face a west team till the Finals so they can beat each other up.

I think getting out of the 1st round is a reasonable expectation at minimum.

FloridaMan

May 24, 2024
I don’t think Tarasenko was ever pegged as a “good defensive player” either.

Under PoMo, the Panthers have adopted a defense-first style of hockey, so the first thing that came to mind was that Sprong's lack of defensive skills would be counterproductive for the team. I remembered watching a video about him a few months ago that pointed out his defensive liability.

Here it is:

Reactions: pantherbot

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I'm honestly kind of still in disbelief and expecting to find out I was in a coma the past month. I wouldn't care if Florida missed the playoffs but I do think they're still the team to beat, the East is kinda shit. Canes are way, way, worse, Bruins are the same, Leafs are the Leafs, Rangers didn't improve and while Florida is probably worse, they were a lot better than Boston and NYR, I don't think the gap has shrunk that much. The West is insane, Nashville will be great, Edmonton's loaded up, they had a great July 1st, Dallas and Colorado are still good but you don't face a west team till the Finals so they can beat each other up.

Bruins got better with Lindholm and Zadorov, IMO.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Bruins got better with Lindholm and Zadorov, IMO.
Lindholm is definitely an upgrade to their C, but I view Lindholm as the same tier as Zibanejad when it comes to 1Cs in the world.

Zadorov definitely adds physicality and goal scoring to their blue line. In fact, I think Zadorov was their target because of us

I think our biggest comp is our division. Make it through to the ECF, none of the metro teams i think can beat us in a 7 game series.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Lindholm is definitely an upgrade to their C, but I view Lindholm as the same tier as Zibanejad when it comes to 1Cs in the world.

Zadorov definitely adds physicality and goal scoring to their blue line. In fact, I think Zadorov was their target because of us

I think our biggest comp is our division. Make it through to the ECF, none of the metro teams i think can beat us in a 7 game series.
we already beat our biggest comp, heil Florida Papercats the best hockey team in the world!

Reactions: harv33173

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I know it's way too early.

But are Panthers actually thinking about dealing Knight because maybe one of the reasons that Bob most likely will continue his career beyond his contract. He's in such great shape etc that it would not be surprising if he continued till 41-42 years old

Reactions: harv33173 and MaWa

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Feeling optimistic about next season. Expect we could start a bit slow, but who knows what happens in the playoffs. We're basically running it back.

Top-9 forwards are essentially the same for regular season and could be better. We're putting in someone like Samo or Boqvist instead of Cousins on the third which is either a wash or a win. Reino likely regresses in goals/points, but not overall play. Lundell likely improves while Tkachuk and Benny hopefully healthier.

Nosek replaces Stenlund on the 4th and PK. Bringing in some energy guys like Greer and Entwistle who are on two-ways and could just get sent down if outplayed by rookies. Could even see Davies, Sourdif in those spots instead. Gadjo is back.

Defense downgraded on paper, but we started the last season without Monty and Ekblad, and both were not that great during the season. If Ekblad is relatively more healthy, he could be better year over year. Schmidt is downgrade from Monty, but we'll see by how much, seems like he was playing as a high end 3rd pair last year while Monty played like a low end 2nd pair guy - Monty also sucked on the PP and maybe Schmidt does better there. OEL to Balinskis or Bjornfot is theoretically another downgrade, but both looked good in short stints. May be fine on 3rd pair and maybe surprise. Biggest benefit with OEL is he could play up the line up for short stints and still do ok, so we'll have less flexibility, bur our D was in constant flux last year too.

Most guys are also in their prime (27-29) which I think is important. Oldest guy will be Schmidt at 33 which isn't that old. So don't expect any regression in overall play. Have played a lot of games last couple years, but they're mostly pretty young and healthier than start of last year. Plus this will be year 3 of the Maurice system so they all know what to expect.

Hopefully Knight can come into camp and grab that backup spot, play like 39-40 games to keep Bob fresh. No idea what to expect from Judge.
im feelin better cause we won the cup with a basically still injured chucky
Imagine next year running back almost the same team but with a healthy chucky

Plus ekblad and benny getting a "full" offseason not being broken to pieces to start

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
im feelin better cause we won the cup with a basically still injured chucky
Imagine next year running back almost the same team but with a healthy chucky

Plus ekblad and benny getting a "full" offseason not being broken to pieces to start
i wouldnt say full offseason since its july.... cause we won the CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I could see a rematch of last year again, I looked at the changes around the league don't think any team got better that could beat the Panthers. The deadline will be more important than ever this year. I think our 4th line got better, if we could plug that hole at RD it would be huge.
Any nice defensemen that will be UFAs next year?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The East looks weak but you're not accounting for the mileage on our team. 3 Finals appearances in a row is pretty rarified air and hasn't been done since the Islanders in the 80's before Tampa did it. And it was a different league back then.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Any nice defensemen that will be UFAs next year?
Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 5.40.41 PM.png

Jakob Chychrun should be the Panthers number 1 deadline target *if* he remains unsigned. Alec Martinez would be nice for a short run too. A lot of these guys should/won't be traded as they are playing on competing teams.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I've been wondering this as well! Thinking something's up with Rhino and Chucky.

Bennett had knee issues from Nurse plus the broken hand. Tkachuk was dealing with some unspecified issues, can't remember who said that now. Ekblad had the high ankle sprain. Barkov I'm sure had a mild concussion.

Tkachuk aside from a couple months never looked quite right. Bennett too always seemed to be dealing with something.

Tkachuk most likely to be healthier. Hard to say with Benny and Ek because the injuries were pretty recent and will probably impact offseason.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
View attachment 892368

Jakob Chychrun should be the Panthers number 1 deadline target *if* he remains unsigned. Alec Martinez would be nice for a short run too. A lot of these guys should/won't be traded as they are playing on competing teams.

Pretty slim pickings on RD. If Ekblad has a solid upcoming season and is willing to take a discount (~$5M AAV), I think he stays.

Reactions: harv33173 and MaWa

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we were interested in Barabanov at the deadline, right? Could see us nabbing him for at essentially league minimum. Zadina could be a Bennett style reclamation project for cheap. Tyler Johnson is coming off a good season, not sure if they’d be interested in jvr at this stage in his career. Curious who gets PTOs

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Who might be positive surprises this year? Meaning, more contributions than assumed right now.

Ekblad?
Tkachuk?
Schmidt?
Balinskis?
One of the 4th liners?

Reactions: MaWa

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad