GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Do we suck again? On a scale of 1 to suck where we at?
Team is good enough to get to the TDL in a playoff spot, and that is all that matters. From there, we make a move or two like this year to shore up depth. After that, we go as deep as we can.

Let's be honest, 2 cup runs in a row, we'll be lucky to win a round or two this season. Guys have played an insane amount of hockey.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
hear me out

Joe Pavelski is still a free agent

wonder if a min contract could work out if Joe wants one more shot at the Cup. I know it sounds like he’s done but it didn’t sound 100%

maybe he can fill a Jumbo role and switch in and out with Mackie or something

• Wow
Reactions: BabyBennettov

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
hear me out

wonder if a min contract could work out if Joe wants one more shot at the Cup. I know it sounds like he’s done but it didn’t sound 100%

All the Hawk tuah in the world couldn't lube those knees enough for 104 games

POWER PLAY FIXED

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's the rest of the cap gone. What is the 2nd pair looking like with Mikkola? Bjornfot? Schmidt? Kuli? Woof. Forward group should have them easily in the playoffs but idk if that group can hold up at the blue line.
They're gonna add at the deadline, no doubts about it when we're defending the Cup. I just hope they don't go stupid with prices.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
1720075799677.png

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Wings fan here,.congrats on the Cup. How is Tarasenko now, is he more of a third liner now?
To add to what Total Homer said, he's also surprisingly solid defensively and physically engaged.

He looked pretty good at points in both our 1st and 3rd line, so he can play up and down the lineup without his play taking a massive hit.

Reactions: harv33173

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Wings fan here,.congrats on the Cup. How is Tarasenko now, is he more of a third liner now?
To me it always looked like he was using too small of a stick or something.. a lot of chances missed because of a mishandle. He will get his chances, but not really a big play generator.. didn't really fit with the top 2 lines, but when he was moved to the third line with better matchups he looked fine. He's not what he used to be, but he is serviceable. 4.5 to me is expensive for him.

Reactions: 305Pantera

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Yeah, a third liner with a scoring touch is how I’d characterize him. He’s not the prolific deadly sniper he was with St. Louis, but still plenty good for a third liner with physicality and defensive responsibility. Think of the scoring as a bonus at this point I think.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
It was strange Tank was flying to Dallas when Delta flys to Detroit direct from Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe it was a language barrier thing. You know, both start with D, one has 6 letters and one has 7.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
hear me out

Pavelski retired. He just didn't have anything left in the tank. His playoff performance was kind of depressing.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Still has a good shot, still physical, doesn't cheat defensively. Paul Maurice praised him endlessly for being a positive influence in the room and especially on his young Finnish linemates. Has lost a step, but still serviceable. 4.5x2 seems like a bit of an overpay, but if he pots 25 goals (which is very possible), you won't give a damn.

Reactions: 305Pantera

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Feeling optimistic about next season. Expect we could start a bit slow, but who knows what happens in the playoffs. We're basically running it back.

Top-9 forwards are essentially the same for regular season and could be better. We're putting in someone like Samo or Boqvist instead of Cousins on the third which is either a wash or a win. Reino likely regresses in goals/points, but not overall play. Lundell likely improves while Tkachuk and Benny hopefully healthier.

Nosek replaces Stenlund on the 4th and PK. Bringing in some energy guys like Greer and Entwistle who are on two-ways and could just get sent down if outplayed by rookies. Could even see Davies, Sourdif in those spots instead. Gadjo is back.

Defense downgraded on paper, but we started the last season without Monty and Ekblad, and both were not that great during the season. If Ekblad is relatively more healthy, he could be better year over year. Schmidt is downgrade from Monty, but we'll see by how much, seems like he was playing as a high end 3rd pair last year while Monty played like a low end 2nd pair guy - Monty also sucked on the PP and maybe Schmidt does better there. OEL to Balinskis or Bjornfot is theoretically another downgrade, but both looked good in short stints. May be fine on 3rd pair and maybe surprise. Biggest benefit with OEL is he could play up the line up for short stints and still do ok, so we'll have less flexibility, bur our D was in constant flux last year too.

Most guys are also in their prime (27-29) which I think is important. Oldest guy will be Schmidt at 33 which isn't that old. So don't expect any regression in overall play. Have played a lot of games last couple years, but they're mostly pretty young and healthier than start of last year. Plus this will be year 3 of the Maurice system so they all know what to expect.

Hopefully Knight can come into camp and grab that backup spot, play like 39-40 games to keep Bob fresh. No idea what to expect from Judge.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad