GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We'll have to see how the Lundell contract plays out, but this could be our team for the next several years.

Currently 25-26 season has $31.5M cap available. Assuming Verhaeghe and Bennett combined take $16.5M AAV, leaves us with $15M. If Lundell signs a two-year $4M bridge and Ek (or replacement) comes in at $5M, then there's $6M remaining for 5 more bodies to fill in rest of the roster.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
We'll have to see how the Lundell contract plays out, but this could be our team for the next several years.

Currently 25-26 season has $31.5M cap available. Assuming Verhaeghe and Bennett combined take $16.5M AAV, leaves us with $15M. If Lundell signs a two-year $4M bridge and Ek (or replacement) comes in at $5M, then there's $6M remaining for 5 more bodies to fill in rest of the roster.
We probably need to start preparing ourselves for one or both of Verhaeghe and Bennett not being here long term. I would have understood if Zito traded them for picks and/or younger players this offseason.

The core going forward is

Barkov-Reinhart
Lundell-Tkachuk
Forsling

We need to keep the cap flexible around those guys. Having too many 7 or 8+ million dollar contracts will make things difficult

Reactions: Idiot Stick

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We probably need to start preparing ourselves for one or both of Verhaeghe and Bennett not being here long term. I would have understood if Zito traded them for picks and/or younger players this offseason.

The core going forward is

Barkov-Reinhart
Lundell-Tkachuk
Forsling

We need to keep the cap flexible around those guys. Having too many 7 or 8+ million dollar contracts will make things difficult

Sounds like Verhaeghe is already in process of signing and extension at $8.25M, so that's likely. The real question is Bennett, do we pay him to be 2C while we have a replacement already in the waiting with Lundell.

Hard call for me because Bennett brings so much to the table beyond just points production. But I would understand if we let him walk given age, unless he's willing to take a bit less to be 3C, but I doubt it.

Otherwise not that worried about $7-8M contracts as long as they provide value. That's gonna be the new $5-6M. Benny's would be the only one I'd worry about.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

I'd reckon that both Bennett and Verhaeghe will be staying for long term with the Panthers. Was doing some armchairGMing and it looks to be that there's actually an decent amount of cap space to round out the lineup if they keep Nosek or hire another ~1mil 4C and promote Samo to the 3rd line.

imo the Panthers will another Cup in 2025-26.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds like Verhaeghe is already in process of signing and extension at $8.25M, so that's likely. The real question is Bennett, do we pay him to be 2C while we have a replacement already in the waiting with Lundell.

Hard call for me because Bennett brings so much to the table beyond just points production. But I would understand if we let him walk given age, unless he's willing to take a bit less to be 3C, but I doubt it.

Otherwise not that worried about $7-8M contracts as long as they provide value. That's gonna be the new $5-6M. Benny's would be the only one I'd worry about.

Benny is 40-50pts fwd who excels in the playoffs. I'd venture to say that his value is somewhere in 6-7mil per range. He's going to be a winger once Lundell earns his 8 year deal. No reason in keeping him as a 3C when he making the big bucks at that point.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
That's the rest of the cap gone. What is the 2nd pair looking like with Mikkola? Bjornfot? Schmidt? Kuli? Woof. Forward group should have them easily in the playoffs but idk if that group can hold up at the blue line.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Gave Barky Jr the Barky second contract!

I'll likely have a family by 2030, so, if he leaves, they will be less confused why we switch teams!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad