GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think the salary cap situation could improve dramatically for this team next season, depending on a bunch of factors. One thing that will be interesting to watch: is Bob planning on retiring any time soon? His conditioning is unbelievable, so I have to think that if he stays healthy this season, he is going to keep going.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Low key good signing could be Greer. He was good for Calgary until he got injured. I don't know if if he has injury problems but I think he fits the style we play.
He does, he'll fit our 4th line like a glove. He was good for Boston too during their epic 2022-23 season. I was disappointed they didn't re-sign Lorentz, but maybe he's asking too much. Boqvist is a nice bottom 6 piece too.

All in all a good day, even though it sucks to lose Lombo and Stenner. It's more important to keep Swaggy and Benny in a year though.

Reactions: KW

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think the salary cap situation could improve dramatically for this team next season, depending on a bunch of factors. One thing that will be interesting to watch: is Bob planning on retiring any time soon? His conditioning is unbelievable, so I have to think that if he stays healthy this season, he is going to keep going.
I think he keeps going. Lu played until 40, and he wasn't in as good shape as Bob. Plus goalies have lighter workloads now.

Cap will definitely improve in 25-26. It should go up another 4M, for starters. Ekblad salary should get reduced to around 5M, or we'll find someone else who wants to play here for 5. So that's 5.5 in room right there. We'll make the necessary moves to fit in Swaggy, to be sure. Figure 4 to 4.5 on top of what he's already making. And we'll find the money for Benny too.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If Driedger beats out Knight for the backup job next year you have to trade him. Can’t have that kind of money sitting in the AHL sadly

Wow that's a damning quote from Zito on Knight, if he's not backing up next season, they need to look to trade him.
It's not damning at all, they're being patient with him. As long as he continues to improve, it's ok.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Although GM Bill Zito said he has "confidence "in Spencer Knight, he didn't commit to him being the backup next season. Called it a "fluid situation"

Driedger was terrible, injured, AHLer respectively his 3 seasons in Seattle, if you can't commit Knight to the backup job over him, I don't interpret that as a good sign for where he's at.
Driedger just took his team to the Calder Cup Finals and only lost to a stacked Hershey team. He could very well be ready for an NHL gig again. It's similar to Lyon, except Judge has already been successful in the NHL.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
One thing I wish Zito did. When he gives some 1M or under UFA deals he give more than 1 year. Like Stenlund should got. Just saw Tampa gave Zegmus 3 x 850k. No risk, high reward there for them

Stop worrying about D

That's why they have waivers :laugh:

Reactions: Thewselius

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
If Driedger beats out Knight for the backup job next year you have to trade him. Can’t have that kind of money sitting in the AHL sadly
That money can be sitting in the AHL because Bob is cheaper than last year.
Anything that saves cap space is fine. Therefore I have been bullish for keeping Knight in Charlotte.
He did have a serious injury at the world's right

He did and when he returned he had lost his spot. When he got opportunity to play, he didn't seem to have confidence anymore.

I predict Barrie or Klingberg. Maybe Boqvist, but that would be an inexperienced d, although Boqvist is tantalizing
Klingberg is my bet too. Probably cheap because of the injury just like OEL last summer

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I predict Barrie or Klingberg. Maybe Boqvist, but that would be an inexperienced d, although Boqvist is tantalizing.

Fors- Ek
Mikkola- Boqvist
Balinskis/Bjornfot/Mahura - Kuli

Kinda scary

Lack of size is what keeps these puck moving dmen getting employed. Sign Klingberg and Trouba when he gets bought out.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Really I'm wondering what's going on with the Lundell contract, that's a tough one. Had a somewhat disappointing regular season, but two good playoffs in a row now. If not for the playoffs, I would've thought he gets $3M. Wonder if he's looking for a longer-term contract like a 5-6 year x $5M and then set up for a bigger one when he's 27/28.
my original bet was 5x$5m. He can't earn less than Knight. On the other hand Forsling is very cheap compared to his abilities. That might lower Anton's salary to about that what Carter and Bennett earn. Something like 3x$4m. Swaggy will, however, get paid much more next year and the cap goes up. The question is would Lundell sign way below his market value. So maybe it's still going to be 5ish. Shorter term any way because Panthers can't afford to give Lundy a long-term contract right now.

Lack of size is what keeps these puck moving dmen getting employed. Sign Klingberg and Trouba when he gets bought out.
or drafted. I was so surprised that Zito didn't use the 97OA to Kiviharju.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I think if they keep Knight, he NEEDS to play the Stolarz load.

We need to know whether we need to be ready for Bob's retirement or if we have a goalie moving forward with Knight

He should see some NHL games, they need to see where he is. But, it also doesn’t serve him to be sitting and watching Bob most of the time. He can play mucho in Charlotte and come up and down to play some games. No rush, he’s still in their plans as the successor to Bob. This season will go far in determining if that will become reality.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not really. Barrie will sign somewhere. He's 32 and not the Barrie of 5 years ago. But hey, maybe that's perfect for us at like 2-3M for a year. Boqvist is inexperienced and often injured. Size has nothing to do with it. Quinn Hughes???

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Gonna miss everyone that left.

Stenlund and Lomberg are my favourite 4th liners this team has had alongside Acciari.

Stolarz and especially OEL were excellent acquisitions.

And as much as I was critical of Montour this season, he was a beast in 2022-23. I still maintain he was our 3rd best player on that run. Dude was a workhorse and everywhere on the ice

Wish we coulda kept em, but all of them earned their bag.

Also, as someone that watched a ton of flames games. Greer was easily their best 4th liner imo. I think he'll fit right in.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
So let’s see what we lost.

Lombo $2M; too much
Stenner $2M; borderline prolly too much
OEL $3.5M; too much
Monty $7M+; way too much
Stoli $2.5M; slightly too much

A bunch of guys like Mahura and Okposo who wouldn’t figure in anyway.

Haven’t lost Tarasenko yet, but if (when) we do, that’ll sting a lot.

Overall I can’t complain. Other than Tarasenko, and a cheap Lomberg, I really wanted to keep OEL. But I’m ok as is, nothing’s really lost when you look at the money. If they’d come with last year’s stickers, keep them all, but they weren’t going to because they were good enough to win the Stanley Cup and thus get the raises.
The next thing I want to see is who pops up that signs for nothing to play for the Cats who Vegas has picked to go the Cup in 25’. Those players won’t emerge right away similar to last years group.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Gonna miss everyone that left.

Stenlund and Lomberg are my favourite 4th liners this team has had alongside Acciari.

Stolarz and especially OEL were excellent acquisitions.

And as much as I was critical of Montour this season, he was a beast in 2022-23. I still maintain he was our 3rd best player on that run. Dude was a workhorse and everywhere on the ice

Wish we coulda kept em, but all of them earned their bag.

Also, as someone that watched a ton of flames games. Greer was easily their best 4th liner imo. I think he'll fit right in.

This SC winning group of players was a special bunch because they were able to score +6 goals in a given game and they'd still come on top when the opposing teams wanted to amp up the physicality as an retribution. Some of the lesser teams got absolutely dominated during the reg season.

I don't think we'll be seeing the same kind level of violence and attitude at least for a while now, maybe Zito can do something when the contracts of Bob and Ekblad come off from the books.

After anchoring the fourth line for a majority of his time back up with the Bruins, Boqvist was promoted to third-line center last week alongside Jake DeBrusk and Trent Frederic while Morgan Geekie moved up to skate with Brad Marchand and Charlie Coyle.

“We like the speed of [DeBrusk] and Boqvist together. We think that can be an added weapon on our third line,” Boston coach Jim Montgomery said Saturday.

Boqvist has logged 14 points (six goals, eight assists) through 43 NHL games this season, and has found a steadiness to his play thanks to not many nights off since returning to Boston. Last year in New Jersey, Boqvist was in and out of the lineup in the second-half stretch, preventing him from stringing together consecutive strong performances.

In 66 regular season games, the 30-year-old had seven goals and 11 assists. He struggled through the first month of the season scoring, but he hit an open net from 190 feet against the Vancouver Canucks on Nov. 13 at the TD Garden and the former Vegas Golden Knights center had a sense of relief when the red light went on. He was injured in January with a fractured foot which was a big blow to the Bruins. He was strong at the faceoff dot, winning 59.3% of his draws in the regular season while averaging 12:33 a night. He was so good that first-year coach Jim Montgomery had him out on defensive zone faceoffs late in games with either Patrice Bergeron or Charlie Coyle while playing a big role on the league’s top-ranked penalty kill.

It didn’t really matter who was on his wings this season, Nosek played well with whoever was put there by Montgomery. He had Foligno there along with Jakub Lauko when he was called up from the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League, but his season improved following a Feb. 23 trade with the Washington Capitals. Boston acquired defenseman Dmitry Orlov and forward Garnet Hathaway and the latter was placed on Nosek’s line to give some grit. They played well together, they were aggressive on the forecheck and both became key parts late in the season when the Bruins were hit with injuries.

Greer, 27, proved to be a nice depth piece for the Bruins during their historic 2022-23 regular season. In 61 games, the Quebec native had five goals, 12 points, 101 hits, and 114 penalty minutes. He also worked well in Calgary on their fourth line this year, recording six goals, 12 points, and 100 hits in 59 games. However, he was far more disciplined while maintaining his physical play, posting just 35 penalty minutes on the year.

Greer would be a worthwhile addition for the Bruins on a cheap one-year deal. He would give the Bruins another option for their fourth line and provide them with more of the sandpaper they need. At worst, he would be a good extra forward to have around when injuries arise.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Liking the moves so far.
Guys who should be playing, but contract won't dictate them winning a role cause we overpaid.

Allows guys like Sourdiff, Samo a chance to make it full time and possibly give guys like Davies or Vilmanis a 3-5 game taste of the NHL if they impress in camp before going to the AHL.

Blueline, wouldn't mind getting Boqvist and then taking the group to camp.
Will be a bit unproven but can wait for waivers and or trades to kick up closer to the season.

The team survived without Ekblad and Montour to start last year. Have faith they can do the same this year.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
must be a decent hold up with lundell, like someone else mentioned i hope we dont tkachuk him, but obviously dont have the cap to overpay.

We have 7.3mil in cap space left
Hope lundy takes 3-3.5, if he takes 4 it make stuff really tight
Would like to keep tank but would he be ok with 2mil? He really looked good on that 3rd line, and while kinda washed hes still good.
Leaves us with 1.8-2.3 to sign a depth defenseman

Worst case lundell gets 4ish, drop tank, have samo/sourdif move up and then use the rest on d

But honestly samo looked good last year, but i feel like he needs some more time in the ahl

As for goalies im still lost if driegs or knight is the backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad