GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm looking at all the UFA contracts, and really, there's only Tarasenko I might have signed to an equivalent contract. Everyone else of note is signed for too much, too long, or both.

Henrique, Wennberg, Zucker might be the only other signings I'd have seen in a positive light.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My understanding is that you cannot put anyone on LTIR during the off-season. You are allowed to go over the cap by a percentage in the off-season but that amount takes away from the accrued capspace during the year, meaning you can't use it at the deadline to take on a higher salary player for less than their cap hit, for example. It takes away flexibility throughout the year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I look at it more as
July 1st is 'Christmas' for some people
And people want and love presents

Some people woke up July 1st, saw no presents under the tree
And simply can't handle that I guess?

But the reward for NOT signing deadbeats to useless cash to block some of our kids will pay off in a couple of years people just can't fathom right now I guess
Assuming only deadbeat overpaid players were signed on July 1st is of course just a false dilemma. Plenty of players were signed to fair deal and are overall great additions.

If someone wanted to add Monahan for 5x5 or Edmundson for wtv the hell he signed for they're just f***ing dumb.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
The same people who sat it's fine they didn't add anything are the people who say we can't trade Matheson because he's the only vet on D. NO LOGIC.
We shouldn't trade Matheson yet because as of last season he was the go to dman in virtually every scenario. We need to know the young guys on D can step up and shelter some of the burden before we're able to move off him.

It's also not in our best interest to bring in another vet because of the number of dmen who need to be given the opportunity to show if they can be with us when we're ready to compete.

If we're being fair it's not a very simple situation

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Assuming only deadbeat overpaid players were signed on July 1st is of course just a false dilemma. Plenty of players were signed to fair deal and are overall great additions.

If someone wanted to add Monahan for 5x5 or Edmundson for wtv the hell he signed for they're just f***ing dumb.
I know it bud
Myself I get all giddy every July 1st just because it's in my DNA following all this stuff 20+ years

Just.. not *this* year lol, it's just not time yet
More about addition through subtraction for me right now (for hopefully the last year)

Reactions: ginomini

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We shouldn't trade Matheson yet because as of last season he was the go to dman in virtually every scenario. We need to know the young guys on D can step up and shelter some of the burden before we're able to move off him.

It's also not in our best interest to bring in another vet because of the number of dmen who need to be given the opportunity to show if they can be with us when we're ready to compete.

If we're being fair it's not a very simple situation
It's a very simple situation. You trade Matheson, move back Guhle to top pair LD, he handles the defensive matchups as he's already doing on his off side, Hutson and or Guhle get the PP, the PK is done by committee. OT is Guhle and Hutson.

We already have a top pair LD playing on the team, and it's not Matheson, he's currently playing out of position. They could've added a guy like Marino but they decided they liked Matheson more than Guhle, because of course, he's Hughes's mam, has been for a decade +.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know it bud
Myself I get all giddy every July 1st just because it's in my DNA following all this stuff 20+ years

Just.. not *this* year lol, it's just not time yet
More about addition through subtraction for me right now (for hopefully the last year)
Why was it the year for the Hawks?

We have the core in place, we don't need to add anything else, we just need to start building an actual winning culture instead of having Matheson play pond hockey for 30 minutes a game.

At the end of the day the roster is worse than it was last year and everyone else got better. Guhles still at RD, which I disagree with, Hutson won't get much PP time, which I disagree with, the bottom 6 is absolutely horrible, which I sure do hope everyone agrees with, the Habs will still have one of Anderson, Armia, Gallagher or RHP in the top 6, which is f***ing laughable and must be extremely frustrating for our actual good player... It's just a mess, beyond saying "just not this year"

Really though? If not this year, why next year? Why not wait another one again. We might have a shot at Mckenna.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why was it the year for the Hawks?

We have the core in place, we don't need to add anything else, we just need to start building an actual winning culture instead of having Matheson play pond hockey for 30 minutes a game.

At the end of the day the roster is worse than it was last year and everyone else got better. Guhles still at RD, which I disagree with, Hutson won't get much PP time, which I disagree with, the bottom 6 is absolutely horrible, which I sure do hope everyone agrees with, the Habs will still have one of Anderson, Armia, Gallagher or RHP in the top 6, which is f***ing laughable and must be extremely frustrating for our actual good player... It's just a mess, beyond saying "just not this year"

Really though? If not this year, why next year? Why not wait another one again. We might have a shot at Mckenna.
I mean this in the nicest way possible
But what the flying f*** do I need Tyler Bertuzzi for FOUR YEARS and Teuvo Terravainen for 3 years for right now..?
Martinez? Maroon? What?? Who CARES about those guys, seriously

It's not our problem Chicago feels the need to hire mid mercenaries to slot into their top6 because they didn't 'tank enough' or theyre 'shooting their shot too early', that's their problem
And honestly, 0 sympathy lol (but they are still drafting 'ok' it could save them)
But the spending spree is a little ill advised and obviously forced by mis-guided ownership

We on the other hand are fortunate we kept drafting so many god damn D all those years, and then new management capitalized on some bottom feeding years, and now we're infusing actual young top 6 talent into the roster but it's still VERY early in the whole process
And it is just not the time *right now* to go looking for any hired guns to plug holes we are trying to plug organically first

Enjoy the ride dude, this notion we're gonna be a worse team next year is just not true at all

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
They're rebuild got f***ed by losing every single lottery and all the depth picks busting. Hard to just build a contender without a foundation but they can't just say woops and do it again.

They seem to be in a pattern of not knowing what the f*** they should be doing. It feels like they want to break out out of the rebuild but bringing random oldies won't make it happen. I hope the current Habs won't ever be in that position.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
But what is currently out there that you really want long term?

Spend for the sake of spending?
Right now, nothing is left. I would have targeted a guy like Tarasenko. The term and money are just fine where he signed in Detroit. Same situation with Perron. Most of the other guys like DeBrusk, Marchessault, Toffoli, Monahan went for ridiculous money and term. Anyone of these guys would have been a significant upgrade over the Dvo, Gallagher, Anderson and Armia we have been accustomed too.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Count me in on Byfield. If LA does acquire an extra top 6 winger like Laine or Necas (which they lack to at least hope of being a bubble team), it could bring them at around 3-4 millions of cap space and theyd be forced to bridge Byfield. No way they could match a 9.1m OS.

Carolina Hurricanes stole us KK because we got greedy with the likes of Hoffman. It turned out well in the end because KK busted but it was a major, major blunder.

f*** those unwritten rules. If GM greeds and lack vision, we should absolutely punish them

Reactions: Pickles

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Minus Roslovic too, this list is not appealing to say the least.
Roslovic was apparently shit last season. Probably why he haven't received a contract yet.

That's actually one of the problem with people in this thread. They are advocating to sign X and Y, but they are using name fame to determine who's good and who isn't instead of their play last year like MB (4 years x $3.8m to Eddy is pure WTF!).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And those guys are going to flock to sign with us next offseason, after another bottom 5 finish?

Why?

Yeah, this is what beats me about that argument.

'oh let's go get that big finish next summer when we'll have even more money!!!!!'

Okay but if we're not attractive now how in the world will we be attractive next summer after another bad season?

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I would not say no to 1 year of Pavelski.
I know he's old but he still got 67 pts last season and sure would help our pp.

It won't happen though.
Pretty sure our FA shopping is over.

Hope we can trade one of Dvo and Anderson .

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

'oh let's go get that big finish next summer when we'll have even more money!!!!!'

Okay but if we're not attractive now how in the world will we be attractive next summer after another bad season?

It's not necessarily about grabbing a big name free agent. An opportunity can come about via trade market too.

Hugo has only been a team for a couple years, even though it feels like 5 years. They are taking the patient, methodical approach which is foreign territory for all Habs fans, but eventually the pivot is going to come (if the plan is progressing as expected), and it will be nice to have as much flexibility as possible when it does.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Obviously Habs would be attractive to a discerning player because after another year of development the core is in place and they are close to competing. A player under 30 should recognize that the Habs will be good for most of their remaining career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad