GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
If this be true then Knight is going to start the next season in Charlotte.

Or in another franchise.

If Knight rides the AHL bus again, next year we'll only have 1 year to see if he's legit or not before his contract expires.
Still a RFA, but ~9mil over two years in the AHL where it could be used on ready NHL talent.

Reactions: Beezers Mask

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Or in another franchise.

If Knight rides the AHL bus again, next year we'll only have 1 year to see if he's legit or not before his contract expires.
Still a RFA, but ~9mil over two years in the AHL where it could be used on ready NHL talent.

If Zito wanted to or was on the fence about trading Knight, he would've been dealt a long time ago. I mean, you have him hoisting the Cup and partying with team even tho he didn't play a single game in a Panthers jersey in this season.

imo Bob takes the backseat and Knight is the Panthers starting goalie in 25-26.

I believe they needed a replacement mascot for their minor league baseball team.

IMG_1004.jpeg

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Or in another franchise.

Agreed. He should either be on the Panthers this season splitting time with Bob or traded for cap relief, picks, and/or a top 4 defenseman to pair with Mikkola.

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
If Zito wanted to or was on the fence about trading Knight, he would've been dealt a long time ago. I mean, you have him hoisting the Cup and partying with team even tho he didn't play a single game in a Panthers jersey in this season.

imo Bob takes the backseat and Knight is the Panthers starting goalie in 25-26.

View attachment 890483

Last year his value was very low.
Probably still is, but at least he played in the AHL and looked good at times.
Not too much value at the TDL where teams want "proven" goalies for a run. Maybe Zito can convice some Trevling level GM that Knight won the cup or something with him in all those pictures lol

Now that we are in the offseason, more time for teams to evaluate their short and long term plans.
I'm fine with keeping Knight if he is the backup, but that's 3.5mil gone during the season for him to play in the AHL.
If Stolarz stays I'm sure there's a slight bump in pay so there's more cap space lost from the 1mil "savings" for stashing Knight in Charlotte.

Reactions: scholl

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Last year his value was very low.
Probably still is, but at least he played in the AHL and looked good at times.
Not too much value at the TDL where teams want "proven" goalies for a run. Maybe Zito can convice some Trevling level GM that Knight won the cup or something with him in all those pictures lol

Now that we are in the offseason, more time for teams to evaluate their short and long term plans.
I'm fine with keeping Knight if he is the backup, but that's 3.5mil gone during the season for him to play in the AHL.
If Stolarz stays I'm sure there's a slight bump in pay so there's more cap space lost from the 1mil "savings" for stashing Knight in Charlotte.

I'd reckon like that the mgmt & Luongo wants Knight to be playing instead of sitting on the bench. Therefore Zito keeps hiring 1mil goalie to backup Bob until Knight is ready to take over. Stolarz probably signs some 4x4mil deal and that might end up being another Driedger type situation. If they think that Knight is the next top5 tendy then he's not going to be traded albeit he's had some personal issues.

And 5.75 to a #1, our current GM signed which of those contracts again?

I'll reconsider my stance on this topic once Ekblad gets traded lol

Reactions: ShootIt and scholl

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto may be offering 4x$4M...not sure how we could match that with him in a backup role, unless we're looking to trade Bob which I also don't see happening. Kind of a weird report IMO

This could be just an attempt to drive up the price for a divisional rival. One last high five for Stoley on his way to a new team.

Reactions: MaWa

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I'd reckon like that the mgmt & Luongo wants Knight to be playing instead of sitting on the bench. Therefore Zito keeps hiring 1mil goalie to backup Bob until Knight is ready to take over. Stolarz probably signs some 4x4mil deal and that might end up being another Driedger type situation. If they think that Knight is the next top5 tendy then he's not going to be traded albeit he's had some personal issues.
one of the reasons why he probably got mental issues was that he was pushed too soon to the NHL. He needs confidence and one more season in the AHL doesn't hurt. He could play some NHL games when a guy with "big" contract is in LTIR. Btw Bob's salary is only $6.5m although his cap hit is $10m. So goalies are cheaper than last season.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008

I'll reconsider my stance on this topic once Ekblad gets traded lol

I'd say this year would be the perfect year for him to get 35-40% of the NHL games, if he can handle it.

Bob is 35, and while he was a workhorse goalie most of his career IMO it would be ideal to let him ride the bench more to keep him fresh for postseason runs.

Manc Cat

Feb 28, 2016
Appreciate Knights health issues, but got to think he needs another shot at the NHL sooner than later to know what weve got. 25-30 regular season games the year after a cup win seems like the way to go. Stolarz should get paid for his efforts, like Driedger and Lyon before him and we will wish him well.

Reactions: PSLguy

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'd say this year would be the perfect year for him to get 35-40% of the NHL games, if he can handle it.

Bob is 35, and while he was a workhorse goalie most of his career IMO it would be ideal to let him ride the bench more to keep him fresh for postseason runs.

Hard to say but I think that Zito and Luongo knows what's the best approach for Bob and Knight for the next two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad