Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Chicago has great 2-way players, ours are below average defensively, not the same thing. You don't know Cooper very well if you think he is going to have a soft team. There will be some grit on the team.

We all hope so. But Bugsy hasn't been a grit guy for awhile now. Don't know if he's gun shy or what, but he doesn't hit, he doesn't stick up for teammates, he barely plays.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
So you say keep Purcell, Pouliot, Pyatt and trade Malone. In other words, you want a soft top six, along with a soft bottom six. Perhaps we can write the Boston Bruins a letter asking them to not hit our guys, because we don't want them to get hurt.

:facepalm:

To address your bruins comment, if you watched the first Boston-Tampa game this year, the late loss that drove us Lightning fans around the bend, it wasn't the toughness that lost us that game. We were in it for 58 minutes. It was Brewer making a bad pinch/joining the rush while we were shorthanded (and Stamkos' shot missing the net). It was a greedy defensive mistake, and a Malone move has a possibility of improving our PK defense.

As stated in my last post, I love when Malone is fighting and cracking skulls in front of the net...and would happily keep him on the team if he was doing that. However, at $4.5m a season, frequent injuries, and having 0 fighting majors this season, I feel his role on this team could be filled with a cheaper, more effective Crunch player, especially with the way Panik played for TB while Malone was out.

Regarding bottom 6, I believe we agree on the 3rd line of w/Palat-Johnson-Panik. Not what I would call a soft line. That leaves Pyatt-Thompson-Crombeen for our 4th line. The same Nate Thompson who got Tampa's only Shanaban-worthy hit all season, and the same BJ Crombeen who led the NHL in fighting majors. While quality does not equal quality with Crombeen's fights, he is our enforcer for the time being, and does not make our 4th line soft.

Our top 6 is not what I would call soft either...regardless, they are not there to be tough. Our top 6 should be there to bring speed, make plays, and score goals. Stamkos, MSL, Vinny, Tedward, BP, and Killorn make up a good top 6. IMO, this group is not improved with the presence of Ryan Malone's recent play. If we can improve our team, and we have an odd man out (Pouliot), I am always for improving the team. As it stands, Labrie is a UFA, and I don't know if he cracks the bottom 6 if the 3rd line becomes Palat-Johnson-Panik. We were top 5 in goals scored this year, so I hardly say our top 6 needs improvement. I think Lightning fans would say the top 6 needs to be more consistent more than they need to "improve."

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Chicago has great 2-way players, ours are below average defensively, not the same thing. You don't know Cooper very well if you think he is going to have a soft team. There will be some grit on the team.

That's not what I'm saying - I'm saying we don't need tough guys in our top-6. It's pretty evident that our top-6 is a high-flying scoring one. To disrupt that would mean trading everyone. I'm also not saying we don't need grit. We could use it. Malone just doesn't bring it anymore.

I won't debate you in our top-6 needing to play defense a lot better, because everyone knows that's true.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Speaking of... How are our expectations going into next season?

I'm less high on the team than I was last offseason, even though I like our organizational depth more (although some key offseason moves could get us up there). I think we are building a real, true long-term contender here, but we may still be a few years out. If Koekkoek develops well, and the other guys maintain their development, we may end up being scary in a few years.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

I'm less high on the team than I was last offseason, even though I like our organizational depth more (although some key offseason moves could get us up there). I think we are building a real, true long-term contender here, but we may still be a few years out. If Koekkoek develops well, and the other guys maintain their development, we may end up being scary in a few years.

I don't know yet, gotta give me the offseason. One thing that strikes me for sure though is Cooper had better be able to raise the I give a **** level on a few of these guys and get them to actually play as a team unit or they are going nowhere.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK

I'm not expecting much this season if I'm honest. We have a harder schedule by far than last season and as of right now, don't see too much of an improvement. Obviously, there's a long way to go yet, and I'm not counting in the influence of a new coaching set up. I'd be surprised if we're in contention for a play off spot.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How about adding someone like Maxim Lapierre (UFA)? 3rd/4th line center, hits a lot, brings grit and nastiness and gets under the opposing team's skin.

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden

At the moment same as you, if we can reach the playoffs I would be really pleased but we will see after the draft and potential trades..

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yotes fan back in peace. Would Klesla for Malone + 2013 3rd be enticing enough for you guys?

Malone would have to list 12 teams that he'd be okay being traded to and you know Phoenix's situation of course, but if PHX is able to re-sign his buddy Mike Smith, maybe he would.

As for the offer itself, I don't think Malone + 3rd for Klesla is fair value for a hockey trade. Malone for Klesla straight up would be more along the right lines. I'm also a bit rusty on the Lightning lineup itself, but I don't see where Rusty would fit in.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Well Leafs fans now know that it would be considered circumvention to trade for Vinny, buy him out and then have him re-sign with the Bolts. Of course they are taking a speculative article as pure gospel and turning it into a southern bashing, Bettman hating Canadian big market teams deal, but at least there shouldn't be any more of that particular type of goofy trade proposal.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Malone would have to list 12 teams that he'd be okay being traded to and you know Phoenix's situation of course, but if PHX is able to re-sign his buddy Mike Smith, maybe he would.

As for the offer itself, I don't think Malone + 3rd for Klesla is fair value for a hockey trade. Malone for Klesla straight up would be more along the right lines. I'm also a bit rusty on the Lightning lineup itself, but I don't see where Rusty would fit in.

True, but Friedman's report stated that Yzerman would incentivize moving Malone by offering a pick. Obviously trying to ascertain what kind of pick it will be. :)

From my previous convos with you guys, the Bolts need a physical stay-at-home defenseman, and Klesla fits that bill (and can also be effective on the right despite being an LHD). Not exactly the most durable guy (though he's a little better in that regard than Malone over the past few years), but Klesla is still very reliable on the PK and in shutdown situations, while also having underrated offensive acumen.

EDIT: Bolts don't even have a 3rd or a 4th this year. How about Klesla + PHX 2013 2nd for Malone + TBL 2013 2nd?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad