Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Considering what Edmonson and Lyubushkin got, the signing isn't even that bad in isolation. The problem for me is it barely moves the needle overall for the Leafs defence.

At minimum OEL should be replacing Liljegren (and yes I know he's an LD.) Bringing OEL in for 3.5 along with Liljegren at 3 is a recipe for failure.

They should be unloading Liljegren and Kampf for another solid RD but there's no one left.

Vanilla move for a vanilla team.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don’t hate it. He just won the cup and can generally move the puck. He’s going to be counted on as a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy for most of this. We won’t be counting on him for a big role, I think he’ll be fine.

And if we can give Liljegren 3m, I’ll give 3.5m to a guy who gave 18 minutes a night on the cup winner all day.

Reactions: Menzinger

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
OEL definitely adds offense and skating, but he's not a 20 minute defenseman unless he really plays a lot better than he has over the last few years.

He'll likely be a 16-18 minute defenseman with a lot of PP time.
He's always been a 20+ guy unt this past year when he played on what was probably the deepest and best defensive team in the league.

Reactions: Confucius

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Still not thrilled, but feel better after seeing the outrageous deals guys like edmundson and lyub got

Reactions: Future

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Leafs needed a defensive D to play with Rielly and an offensive D to play with McCabe. Somehow they thought going for guys at the end of their careers for lots of term was the way to go.

I don't mind Tanev because I think he's a perfect fit with Rielly and when things go south for him it'll likely be injuries and LTIR, fingers crossed. That structure of that deal is gross though. As for OEL we did need more offense from the backend so something like Zadarov would have been very dumb. LD, defensive, expensive. Exactly the opposite of what we needed. I feel like we needed to aim higher than OEL though. He's also a LD so I guess McCabe plays the right. But a guy that feels like he's been on the downswing for a while just reeks of Klingberg which was a deal I didn't mind too much because it was only a 1 year gamble. This one needs to work out. I sure hope it does because this revamping of the backend offseason has just been signing old guys to scary term.

Reactions: SprDaVE

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Production from the back end has been an issue in both regular season and playoffs for sure. Other than Rielly, nobody has scored more than 30 points since Barrie and Gardiner. They were horrific defensively. Muzzin uninjured was a 30-40 point man. Need someone to run the power play. I feel just like I did about the Klingberg signing. It would be nice if Liljegren steps up this year too.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
It's not amazing but I'm fine with it.

Him and Tanev are good pickups overall. Just not big on the term but I think the cap is going to shoot way up. In a few years these won't be all that big a deal.

We needed a guy that can put up some points and move the puck.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Surprised to see some backlash here. But yeah, leaf fans.

Door defenseman who will play in our top 4. Puck mover, size, can qb the pp. We got better today. Reasonable contract.

Its fine but Boston got even better

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh good, giving mid-30s players term again. And overpaying bottom pairing defensemen again!
I guess this is Treliving's attempt at fixing the blueline. Underwhelming, to say the least.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What is happening?

Leafs have trouble clearing the crease, so Brad trades for Edmundson and Lyubushkin. Both play well.

Brad then lets them walk and signs OEL.

What are we doing here?
Probably based on how easy it is to acquire those types at the deadline. Last time I checked one of them we have had twice.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Probably based on how easy it is to acquire those types at the deadline. Last time I checked one of them we have had twice.
I mean fair but wouldnt we want to play the $3M+ players? And weren't we just complaining about bleeding picks?

It's a strategy I guess. I'm not sure it's a good one, but I've been wrong before.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Much better than

Rielly - Boosh
Benoit - McCabe
Ed - Liljegren

OEL pushes Benoit down in depth, which is key.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Anyone who thinks the Leafs haven't improved the team that finished the year is on crack. Tanev is a warrior, great rep in the playoffs. OEL is the puck mover we've been lacking for years now, and Stolarz had a 925 SV% with the Stanley Cup winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad