Confirmed with Link: OEL signed 4 years 3.5M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Woof. Way to long. AAV to high. If we try and play this guy off the bottom pair, it will be Klingberg 2.0.

Bad.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
man I guess I'm in the minority because I like the new look defense I think it's been upgraded in a BIG way.

if Woll can stay healthy and prove that the flashes that he showed when he did play were real I think the team as of today is better than it was last year, they just need to replace Bertuzzi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think there's a lot of dramatic takes here. Looking at it objectively, it's about what you pay for a capable player who had a pretty good season. I'm very surprised the Leafs were so interested in him, they must have loved OELs season quite a bit to the point where maybe they think he can go back to his top end form.

He adds skating and some skill on the backend, so that's a big plus. I think he can keep building on that to become a lot better than people expect. And yes, this is optimism.

The big issue if it doesn't work out, it will be a big problem... but that goes for any player signed for some term.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
F*** this. Signed for double his worth until he's 37. Summer of Bradley continues.
I'm not suggesting that there wasn't a slight overpay here, but "double his worth" is a wild statement, IMO. He's coming off a 32 point season as a defenseman. $109,000 per point from a defender is not outrageous. $3.25 million is probably what he's worth. $3.0 million would have been a small win for the Leafs. $3.5 million is probably a small overpayment.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This will be a interesting signing to look back on.
Could turn out to be bad but it could also look decent if his game has turned around.
He will bring us some needed puck moving ability and offense from the defence that everyone was screaming about at seasons end.
I think he could make for a decent defensive partner for Liljegren, seeing Lilly can panic under pressure and throw many pucks to his partner, so having someone that can also handle the puck and share puck moving responsibilities could be key. Will also be someone that can help our PP whichever unit he sees time on.

Definitely a risky move but he has some skills that can definitely help our team.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
??? Leafs have trouble scoring in the playoffs and Edmundson was awful.
Right, but my point is that we addressed a need and then....un-addressed it?

A little confusing?

I could see signing OEL and trading Lily.

I don't agree Edmundson was awful, but we're free to draw our own conclusions of course.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
OEL seemed to thrive on the Panthers 3rd pair, playing 13-15 minutes a game. He also took over on their top PP unit and man, if he replaces Rielly on PP1 the contract will be well worth it.

Reactions: Ports

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I really don’t think this is a bad signing. Time will tell. We needed someone with some puck skills and a shot from the backend

I agree, and I think I'd be a lot more okay with this signing if we had traded Liljegren and signed say Lyubushkin or someone of that ilk (maybe better than Boosh? Wouldn't complain).

The structure of the defense is all over the place. We went hard on toughness at the deadline, then jerked right back to soft as butter.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Not who I envisioned as the 2nd “big time” defenseman they were going to sign. Tanev is fine, they need him to play with Rielly. OEL’s best days are behind him. Only good thing is he played a role on a Stanley cup winning team. Maybe he has more to give? Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What is happening?

Leafs have trouble clearing the crease, so Brad trades for Edmundson and Lyubushkin. Both play well.

Brad then lets them walk and signs OEL.

What are we doing here?

Lyubushkin and Edmundson were fine. But Tanev is beyond better than both of those players combined. It's not even close.

OEL is a different kind of player. This team couldn't score and needed more mobility on the back end.

What we're doing here is trying to build a team that is better rounded and also in hopes we don't have to keep bleeding picks for band-aids.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
This is Klingberg 2.0 but with longer term. I don't buy OEL's resurgence with the Panthers. He was insulated well on the 3rd pairing. He won't have that luxury with the Leafs.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad