OEL 3.0 - Move Me Or Keep Me (Upd: You're Stuck With Me}

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Two days into UFA and Clifford is unsigned. I don't see any reason to give him term. Two years is fine.

If we're making a deal with STL I'd see what they want to do with Vince Dunn.

Dunn is having his numbers seriously pumped by deployment. Ultra cushy minutes. I wouldn't give up much for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is that atypical for 3rd year offensive defensemen? Just seems like smart coaching to me. MVR.

They basically tell him to GTFO if there's anyone above a 3rd/4th liner out on the ice. He only ever deploys in the ozone. Incredibly sheltered by any standard. It's very en vogue to have a strong puck mover/shooter to beat up on competition with favorable deployment on your 3rd pair, similar to Stecher. Really not that different from Oesterle or Schlemko.

It would take a lot of knowledge of the player to project them out to a more normal 2nd pair role. I like Dermott more at this point in their respective careers.

I think some other team will take them first.

Guys like Dunn/Dermott make me appreciate Chychrun a whole lot more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Is that atypical for 3rd year offensive defensemen? Just seems like smart coaching to me. MVR.
People used to say the same thing about Yandle. Well, why wouldn't you start your better defensemen with the harder minutes if you have several?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Sign Clifford to a 3yr 5m contract. Then trade Goligoski and Fischer for Blais and Bortuzzo. Then trade Raanta for a 6th rounder.

Keller-Dvorak-Garland
Crouse-Stepan-Schmaltz
Blais- J. Larsson-Pitlick
Clifford-Hayton-Kessel
Hayden

OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjammer
Oesterle-Bortuzzo
Lyubushkin

Kuemper
Hill.
Kinda looks like a Gerard Gallant kinda roster. :)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Neither Boston's problems or Vancouver's were Armstrong's problem. Especially Vancouver's.

Boston has a ton of flexibility (that they haven't been able to use, ... yet), so I don't think it was a particularly crazy ask for the best defenseman available outside of AP. But I don't necessarily blame Boston for waiting it out and seeing what is out there. Hall or AP aren't fantasyland adds for them. It's entirely possible to add Hall and deal DeBrusk for a defenseman or add Pietrangelo and deal Carlo for a forward, instead of tying up that flexibility in OEL and dishing out assets on top. But they also had a chance with free agency to find a bandaid solution for forward depth, even if Studnicka was dealt.
It's probably why Armstrong was frustrated by the agent "deadline". Sweeney probably said something like, "You know that's not completely crazy, but let's revisit a stronger offer after free agency dust settles. For now, this is the best we can do", and Armstrong liked Studnicka better than anything else on the table, so he was prepared to wait.

For Vancouver, their cap problems and terrible contracts aren't the Coyotes problem. They also have a near-zero chance for AP, and I'm sure Benning is aware of it. They could have put a franchise player into their D core and turned their lack of depth into a position of strength there with Hughes and OEL on different pairings. A deal also would have cleared out one of their bad contracts. It's not crazy to ask for their best magic bean, and I find the fans' adamant refusal was a bit weird considering their situation. I think they were brainwashed by a media/twitter echo chamber that the Coyotes had to move OEL for whatever Benning would offer, and some sort of bizarre PTSD from the Kesler situation and a belief it was their chance to exact "revenge" on someone. "It's our turn now!" The situations were completely different. And dealing with a potential cap squeeze in four years if OEL takes a turn for the worse, is a hell of a lot more attractive than whatever they are facing today.

But everyone looks more or less happy with how it turned out (except probably Benning).

Now something interesting has happened in Boston. They signed Miller and Smith, basically replacements for Bjork and Moore.

What if Boston signed those two and are waiting on Hall to decide and if he doesn't the Bjork, Moore and Studnicka are back on the table?

Cheers

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Now something interesting has happened in Boston. They signed Miller and Smith, basically replacements for Bjork and Moore.

What if Boston signed those two and are waiting on Hall to decide and if he doesn't the Bjork, Moore and Studnicka are back on the table?

I don't see how the money works for Boston anymore.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
11 million right now. If they miss out on Hall it's plenty of room with Moore and Bjork going the other way to take in OEL and Hoffman/Toffoli/Dadonov.

What is the theoretical offer? Given now that you guys understand OEL isn't being given away ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Two days into UFA and Clifford is unsigned. I don't see any reason to give him term. Two years is fine.

If we're making a deal with STL I'd see what they want to do with Vince Dunn.
I like Dunn, no to Clifford.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Someone on Twitter hinted that Craig Morgan’s article revealed the Canucks last minute offer for OEL... anyone know what that offer was?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
They had agreed on the pick and the contract coming back but the Canucks refused to give up one of Podkolzin, Hoglunder, or Demko.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Someone on Twitter hinted that Craig Morgan’s article revealed the Canucks last minute offer for OEL... anyone know what that offer was?

Craig's response...

I have heard from multiple sources that the sides had agreed on a draft pick and a contract coming back to Arizona, but they never could agree on the prospect. I think the Coyotes wanted either Thatcher Demko, Vasili Podkolzin or Nils Höglander and the Canucks kept saying no. I have also heard that the Vancouver offer was a first-round pick, a second-round pick, Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have also heard that the Vancouver offer was a first-round pick, a second-round pick, Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter.

So close to greatness if you could get that 2nd swapped for one of the big 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad