OEL 3.0 - Move Me Or Keep Me (Upd: You're Stuck With Me}

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benning on OEL

TSN Radio Vancouver
: Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning on the Oliver Ekman-Larsson possible deal: “At the end of the day, you’d have to ask if we were close. We negotiated through the week. We gave them our last offer this morning. They didn’t think it was acceptable so we moved on.”

on our local radio station.

ya know what, no more comments, take this info for whatever you guys want, Armstrong held his ground, Benning might have low balled, who knows, if there are any information in the future about who was really offered on our end we will keep ya guys in the loop, in the end, our team will move as of nothing happened, what a waste of time for both fan bases, honestly speaking, we felt like it was a waste time, even if we didn't get him I can accept that, anyways best of luck next season, see you guys later, hopefully we don't have another OEL megathread again, I really don't lol.

good luck next season.

Reactions: RABBIT and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You can't fire the coach after he has a public spat with him and let him keep the C. They already don't respect him. If there's going to be a culture change, it has to start with OEL. He has to show up and earn that captaincy. No letters until someone is deemed worthy if you fire Tocchet and Housley.

If it were up to me, they'd vote on it every year like the players do in the NFL.
I have not heard of any public spat, only what Morgan said, which I take with a grain of salt. There could very well be a dislike between coach and player, so I let BA straighten it out. Who has lost respect of OEL?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t know. I read for several days of a Coyotes GM clearly indicating they liked the prospects that were being offered By Boston better than what Vancouver was putting on the table. Nobody should be surprised that Armstrong walked away. it was always about the prospect AND the pick. It was pretty clear just some didn’t want to actually listen.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don’t know. I read for several days of a Coyotes GM clearly indicating they liked the prospects that were being offered By Boston better than what Vancouver was putting on the table. Nobody should be surprised that Armstrong walked away. it was always about the prospect AND the pick. It was pretty clear just some didn’t want to actually listen.

The GMs bought the Canadian narrative the Coyotes were desperate and then figured the rookie would blink. They also liked their backup options.

Probably don't feel great about it now. Especially Vancouver. Not a happy bunch.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The GMs bought the Canadian narrative the Coyotes were desperate and then figured the rookie would blink. They also liked their backup options.

Probably don't feel great about it now. Especially Vancouver. Not a happy bunch.

it seems to have sabotaged their plans going into free agency.

Reactions: Mosby

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why the C? What’d he do? Lol. Gave two teams instead of 0 or 5?
He doesn't deserve the C, but this is the absolute worst time to try to strip it. People must be bored.
This is when BA needs to step in and try to pump his tires a bit. No use deflating him when he's hitched himself to you and you can't get him off.
Go give him the "It was just business. We believe in you. We think you're a Norris dman. You mean a lot to the org, and we appreciate everything you've done over the years. We're going to turn this team around, and you're going to be part of it. Let me try to make you happy, and get you a Norris. I need to know you're all in with me"- speech.
And if it means playing peacemaker with Tocc or canning him in order to get the most out of Ollie, that's his freaking job. He's the general manager.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Said it before and I'll say it again. Armstrong is trying to change the direction and culture. No faster way to do that than to trade the best and longest tenured player who also happens to be the captain. He was trying to make us better not cut payroll. He wasn't going to make the deal unless he felt it made us better. It didn't so we move on. Canada already believes we are on the verge of folding so of course having to pay OEL is the final nail in the coffin. I'm sure there will be another thread about our pending doom soon enough.

Reactions: RABBIT

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Said it before and I'll say it again. Armstrong is trying to change the direction and culture
Yeah, and if Ollie is going to stay, you need to get his head right and get him on the same page. Stripping the C would be the worst possible route. Next time maybe he demands a trade to one of two teams and we ARE stuck with Juolevi and a second with Eriksson. I wouldn't be quick to burn bridges.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I blame their media. Their radio shows were spouting the “they have no money therefore we can get him for nothing” bs as soon as OeL’s list was leaked. Many believe that BS without a second of consideration of what was really driving things for Armstrong.

Haggerty in BOS was also doing that. Pumping to idea we’re

I QT’d him back to tell him we’re fine and thanks for playing. :laugh:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You can't fire the coach after he has a public spat with him and let him keep the C. They already don't respect him. If there's going to be a culture change, it has to start with OEL. He has to show up and earn that captaincy. No letters until someone is deemed worthy if you fire Tocchet and Housley.

If it were up to me, they'd vote on it every year like the players do in the NFL.

Wait. What “public spat?”

Tocchet’s only criticism of OEL has been he isn’t vocal enough on the ice for his taste as a captain. Have yet to hear OEL openly criticize Tocchet and only person outside the team you says there’s is a guy you’re always mocking as the franchise‘s PR cheerleader.

Not saying there’s not an issue between them but man.... put the air hose down. :laugh:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Unlike, I think, most here, I don't have an issue with OEL's leadership. He fills that quiet lead-by-example kind of leader. Does the makeup of the team need that kind of the leadership the most? Probably not, as the team tilts young, and younger players more likely than not need a louder, more abrasive voice to drag them along at times. At issue is the leadership core is too similar in style. Acquisition of some one of that louder ilk would probably go a long way towards fulfilling the void that currently exists, but I think as the team's core is added to and matures, players don't need a drill sergeant constantly instilling discipline as much as they need to see their leaders quietly going about their way, and showing how they are staying focused on the task at hand.

Furthermore, I think it's safe to say the coach lost the room this past season. I don't think many players could keep soldiering on and give a damn when the tactics being employed are thoroughly figured out by the rest of the league and no adjustment is coming.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Most of the prominent chuckle heads disappear at the deadline or the offseason. The coach should be removed immediately.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, and if Ollie is going to stay, you need to get his head right and get him on the same page. Stripping the C would be the worst possible route. Next time maybe he demands a trade to one of two teams and we ARE stuck with Juolevi and a second with Eriksson. I wouldn't be quick to burn bridges.
Exactly. Let's give OEL, Chick, DVO, Keller, Schmaltz some protection in the line up, which by the way it looks BA is trying to do. We just need a coach that has a clue.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He doesn't deserve the C, but this is the absolute worst time to try to strip it. People must be bored.
This is when BA needs to step in and try to pump his tires a bit. No use deflating him when he's hitched himself to you and you can't get him off.
Go give him the "It was just business. We believe in you. We think you're a Norris dman. You mean a lot to the org, and we appreciate everything you've done over the years. We're going to turn this team around, and you're going to be part of it. Let me try to make you happy, and get you a Norris. I need to know you're all in with me"- speech.
And if it means playing peacemaker with Tocc or canning him in order to get the most out of Ollie, that's his freaking job. He's the general manager.
I agree, except he does deserve the C, more than anyone else on this team.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Unlike, I think, most here, I don't have an issue with OEL's leadership. He fills that quiet lead-by-example kind of leader. Does the makeup of the team need that kind of the leadership the most? Probably not, as the team tilts young, and younger players more likely than not need a louder, more abrasive voice to drag them along at times. At issue is the leadership core is too similar in style. Acquisition of some one of that louder ilk would probably go a long way towards fulfilling the void that currently exists, but I think as the team's core is added to and matures, players don't need a drill sergeant constantly instilling discipline as much as they need to see their leaders quietly going about their way, and showing how they are staying focused on the task at hand.

Furthermore, I think it's safe to say the coach lost the room this past season. I don't think many players could keep soldiering on and give a damn when the tactics being employed are thoroughly figured out by the rest of the league and no adjustment is coming.
Yup. You don't have to be vocal to be a leader, and I agree RT lost the room. We all know we need more talent, but RT was so over his head, and did not use the talent he had correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad