Post-Game Talk: Oct. 30, 2016: Flyers 4 @ Hurricanes 3

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
How Lyubimov play?

Lyubimov is doing great and he is seeing more minutes (I think) because of it. He is an excellent skater, defensively tenacious, and has some latent offensive skills in him. He will score soon. He has been a very pleasant and positive addition. I think it is safe to say we all really like him, and I am POSITIVE in saying that every single member of this board would rather see him play than Chris "Hands of Stone" VandeGargoyle.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm the last person to give NHL coaches too much credit, but I will say that it might be deserved here with regard to Manning. For fans, it can be easy to see an undrafted, unheralded young player suck and then assume he has no room for growth-- that he'll always be a worthless plug. But a coach has a responsibility to see potential that fans might not. For Manning, he's had offensive ability that he's shown in the WHL and AHL, and I respect Hakstol for giving Manning the opportunity to see if it could translate. For example, Erik Gustafsson never had that opportunity.

Sort of reminds me a bit of Jake Muzzin here. Not that I think Manning will be the next Muzzin, but it's good to see a no-name player get an opportunity and do something with it when fans wouldn't have had the patience to see that through. LA fans definitely didn't expect Muzzin to be a piece of their D back in 2012.

Manning is hardly a .7 PPG player, but he's a lot more comfortable in the NHL now, and it's good to see him grow.

Johnny Boychuk might be a good comparison. He did not become an NHL starter till age 26.

I did not see any indication of NHL-level puck skills from Manning last season, so he has really improved since then. I guess it shows how much of the game is based on confidence.

I know what his reward will be.

His reward should be to win the Raffl raffle.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyubimov has speed and hustle, his offensive skills need work, but there's more potential there than say for PEB.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Lyubimov is the future. PEB/VDV are the past, they won't be here next year.

Gordon might not be either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I will be shocked if Gordon is re-signed. He had one year stop gap written all over him.

Weise or Laughton could well end up in Vegas. Right now if I had to protect two extra forwards it would be Raffl and Cousins.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I would of not been happy if our goalie gave up those goals to Ghost and Gudas. both were weak short side goals.

Good things happen when you actually put shots on net as they say. I was mistaken that Mason played (I just thought Mason got pulled after the first) since the flyers goal tending has been poor as of late. I still don't think the defense has been all that bad but the chances they have been giving up are prime opportunities for the other team so it seems. When MDZ comes back we will know for sure whether they need to re-sign him for another couple of years or not. (I'm almost betting that he will be though)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
true, but those shots should of been stopped. Of course Nuevy gave up a couple leaky goals as well. The defense has breakdowns and lost coverage at least 2 or 3 times a game. When they make mistakes it ends up in the back of the net.
what was Gudas doing on that Skinner goal. I like the guy but he just completely lost his man there.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, all defensemen make mistakes, but usually goalies are able to make the routine saves to bail them out.

At the moment, every single mistake is costing us because our goalies can't even make the saves they're expected to make, let alone the difficult ones.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The frustrating thing is that both of them have these pockets of time where they stand on their heads and save our bacon for a while and you think "Thank ****, they are back to normal" ... and then a softie crawls in or goes right through them or spiders over their right shoulder two games in a row. They are both a reflection of the team - good periods followed by fatal mistakes - AND a large part of the reason the team is that way.

I don't know if you would rather have the guy that makes all the saves he is supposed to make, but doesn't blow your mind, or the guy that blows your mind with his ability and then from time to time lets in a head-scratcher. Ideally, you'd have someone who makes all the saves he should and frequently pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I have no idea what we have at the moment.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, all defensemen make mistakes, but usually goalies are able to make the routine saves to bail them out.

At the moment, every single mistake is costing us because our goalies can't even make the saves they're expected to make, let alone the difficult ones.

true. but I think also the Flyers have seen some weak goaltending on their own. Take nothing away from how well the fowads have looked, but 4 goals a game for is a pretty unsustainable pace. I would not be shocked if the opposing goalies we have faced are not much above .900 save percentage total.
These things will even out in the end I think just like last year when the opposite was going on.

The frustrating thing is that both of them have these pockets of time where they stand on their heads and save our bacon for a while and you think "Thank ****, they are back to normal" ... and then a softie crawls in or goes right through them or spiders over their right shoulder two games in a row. They are both a reflection of the team - good periods followed by fatal mistakes - AND a large part of the reason the team is that way.

I don't know if you would rather have the guy that makes all the saves he is supposed to make, but doesn't blow your mind, or the guy that blows your mind with his ability and then from time to time lets in a head-scratcher. Ideally, you'd have someone who makes all the saves he should and frequently pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I have no idea what we have at the moment.

we aren't even getting average goaltending right now. Yeah Nuevy played a good 3rd period last night but overall it has been an adventure for both of them.
Both these guys are playing for a contract here next year and both of them have come up small. Mason just needs to get his confidence back. That was an issue for him in Columbus. When things started to go south they continued down that path and he was never able to find it until he was traded. Hopefully he can find that confidence again in being the goalie we know he can be.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Might actually be somewhat of a good thing that the goalies haven't been playing well. Can probably re-sign one for not a crazy amount/length compared to other goalies. The flyers have so many goalie prospect it is almost foolish to lock one up for a long period of time unless you have a de facto #1 goalie.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Might actually be somewhat of a good thing that the goalies haven't been playing well. Can probably re-sign one for not a crazy amount/length compared to other goalies. The flyers have so many goalie prospect it is almost foolish to lock one up for a long period of time unless you have a de facto #1 goalie.

I think most Flyer fans realize that one of Mason/Nuevy will be in Vegas or elsewhere next year. I am against giving either guy more than a 2 year deal right now. Provided they turn it around of course.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I really don't want a long term deal for any goalie, ever. 3 or less. The position is too volatile and having a good team can a make a mediocre goalie passable.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Yeah, I really don't want a long term deal for any goalie, ever. 3 or less. The position is too volatile and having a good team can a make a mediocre goalie passable.

The Bobrovsky contract is not a great deal for Columbus and was a poor signing for the $ amount. I can't imagine having another Bryzgalov situation. It wouldn't surprise me if the flyers win a cup with a goalie and sign him long term though. If he ends up bombing well at least the flyers have won a cup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Bobrovsky contract is not a great deal for Columbus and was a poor signing for the $ amount. I can't imagine having another Bryzgalov situation. It wouldn't surprise me if the flyers win a cup with a goalie and sign him long term though. If he ends up bombing well at least the flyers have won a cup.

Every member of our next Cup team should get life-long contracts. **** it lol.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I will be shocked if Gordon is re-signed. He had one year stop gap written all over him.

Weise or Laughton could well end up in Vegas. Right now if I had to protect two extra forwards it would be Raffl and Cousins.

I'd also go with Raffl and Cousins over Weise and Laughton. If Laughton spends the season in the AHL Las Vegas probably wouldn't want to waste a pick on what they may perceive to be an AHL player, plus Laughton will be an RFA, so Las Vegas would have to go though with signing him.

Weise's contract wouldn't be a problem for Las Vegas, so I can see him being the player that's most likely picked.

If one of Raffl or Cousins are left unprotected I can see Las Vegas scooping up one of them.

The long shot is Andrew MacDonald, if Las Vegas had trouble getting to the cap floor then MacDonald could be a possibility, although not a smart possibility for Las Vegas. Vegas spending money shouldn't be any problem at all knowing that the owner has deep pockets, so they can and will probably spend to the cap limit if they choose to do so.
Flyers fans can only hope Las Vegas would be dumb enough to claim Andrew MacDonald in the Expansion Draft.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
yeah both goalies made some good saves and both goalies let it some pretty bad goals. I would of not been happy if our goalie gave up those goals to Ghost and Gudas. both were weak short side goals.

Only saw replays but it looked like both got slightly deflected by D. Hard to stop those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad