Observations XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is amazing to sit back and just read here for a couple weeks. For those who do not understand why Sarro's was sent down to get some games in it only proof you have little understanding of this sport. If Mazanec was even able to be a .500 tender Sarro's would have not seen a single game in Nashville this year. It does him no good whatsoever to sit and play maybe a game every 10 days. It hurts him and the organization. Pekka is no longer elite and Sarro's if he is the plan needs as many professional games as he can get because after this contract Pekka will lose the net to him. It is not easy for a under 25 tender at best the mere need to have Sarro's here could well support Poile signing a back-up for next year so Sarro's can have a full year in the AHL before coming in. Because HF members worship the guy does not mean he does not need that experience. He has great potential to be the starter here in time but its too early. And all the analysis of his positioning and tracking and the great stuff he does will not substitute for experience he needs both.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
You don't want Saros getting out of game mind and Rinne is looking good. Ride the hot hand and let the future stay on the flow by taking some starts in the minors. It checks out, but that means the coaches know what they're doing so, I'm guessing it's a Saros for Duchene deal coming up...(sarcasm)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
no, its not. not at all.

Doc, you know I like you, but you are wrong. Saros should be playing every third game here on out at a minimum.

Before Pekka had a shut out, let's not forget he had two stinker games and one mediocre game against Minnesota.

Saros has had one "bad" game all year against Buffalo where his entire defense collapsed around him and a fluke goal evened the game.

Sorry, but I would argue Saros gives this team a better chance to win right now. I'm not saying play him every game, but he should be starting every third game.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Doc, you know I like you, but you are wrong. Saros should be playing every third game here on out.

Before Pekka had a shut out, let's not forget he had two stinker games and one mediocre game.

Saros has had one "bad" game all year against Buffalo where his entire defense collapsed around him and a fluke goal evened the game.

Sorry, but I would argue Saros gives this team a better chance to win right now. I'm not saying play him every game, but he should be starting every third game.

Yoshi Sarro's needs to be playing 35 to 40 games a season he will not get that in Nashville. This could well be why Mazanec fell apart. Remember he came in a nd played well for a while. But he sat not playing for too long and it has hurt him. Heck looking back I have no idea why Hellberg was not looked at better he has been doing well since he left and has got a few NHL games in and hes only 25. Having Rinne has held back young tenders just as all elite tenders do when there in there prime. But now Rinne is in his last couple years and that 24 year old tender is needed to take over. Sarro's at 21 does not match the time frame and if he is put in too ealry he could well fail.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Doc, you know I like you, but you are wrong. Saros should be playing every third game here on out at a minimum.

Before Pekka had a shut out, let's not forget he had two stinker games and one mediocre game against Minnesota.

If we sent Saros down and left him there and played Maz at this level, that would be stupid. But choosing to give Rinne a string of consecutive starts over a one week period before bringing Saros back for the upcoming back to backs is far from stupid. Its a 50/50 judgement call at worst

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Come on people we have been doing this all year. We send Saros down, he gets a couple starts, then pull him back when we need him to start. We have literally done it all season. Not to mention it's been over 10 days since his last start, they want him to get some time in. We also have the week long break coming up so that may be playing into it as well.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I don't see the big deal. They decided to play Rinne the next couple of games so sent Saros down to get a few games in before coming back for the back to back next weekend. With a week break in a few weeks Rinne will get extra rest.

hatedandproud

Feb 22, 2010
On the MBTA
There are 5 games in 9 days leading up to the bye week and none of them are back to back. They probably think Rinne can handle all those games and they probably want Saros to keep sharp by getting plenty of playing time.
Or the guys that have made careers running and managing NHL teams for years are completely stupid and are totally screwing this up. Obviously they should consult the message board for sound advice on how to do their jobs.

Man I miss the old "Observations" thread....

Edit: sorry the last two before the week off are a back to back....

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There are 5 games in 9 days leading up to the bye week and none of them are back to back. They probably think Rinne can handle all those games and they probably want Saros to keep sharp by getting plenty of playing time.
Or the guys that have made careers running and managing NHL teams for years are completely stupid and are totally screwing this up. Obviously they should consult the message board for sound advice on how to do their jobs.

Man I miss the old "Observations" thread....

Edit: sorry the last two before the week off are a back to back....

That died long ago its just a pissing contest now.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
Thomas Willis‏ @TomAWillis

"It's been a little while since Juuse has played. We want him staying sharp." Laviolette on Saros/Mazanec roster move. #Preds #DETvsNSH

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
That died long ago its just a pissing contest now.

Alright, here's and observation.

Goalies push each other competitively when they are both playing well. Rinne and Saros seem to have found a nice balance.

Last time we sent Saros down was December 5. During the next few games, Pekka did not have a game with above .900 sv% and we lost games against Dallas and Arizona.

Additionally, you could've sent him down during the NHL star break and let him play one of the two games they had on the 27th or 28th. Then left him down there for the 3rd's game and for the AHL All-Star game (which he would've been in) before bringing him up for today's game or later if you wanted to play Rinne against Detroit.

We are only going to have him down until the 11th, when our next back to back is, which is only 3 games he could've had during the All-Star break. It doesn't make sense.

My point is, Saros is arguably giving us better goaltending than Rinne. It seems silly to send him down and the timing of it doesn't make sense to me. You mentioned Saros isn't going to get 35 starts at the NHL level. My argument is he should be.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Alright, here's and observation.

Goalies push each other competitively when they are both playing well. Rinne and Saros seem to have found a nice balance.

Last time we sent Saros down was December 5. During the next few games, Pekka did not have a game with above .900 sv% and we lost games against Dallas and Arizona.

Additionally, you could've sent him down during the NHL star break and let him play one of the two games they had on the 27th or 28th. Then left him down there for the 3rd's game and for the AHL All-Star game (which he would've been in) before bringing him up for today's game or later if you wanted to play Rinne against Detroit.

We are only going to have him down until the 11th, when our next back to back is, which is only 3 games he could've had during the All-Star break. It doesn't make sense.

My point is, Saros is arguably giving us better goaltending than Rinne. It seems silly to send him down and the timing of it doesn't make sense to me. You mentioned Saros isn't going to get 35 starts at the NHL level. My argument is he should be.

You have a good point they should have sent him down during the AS break. And every chance they get to put him on the ice bring him up for B2B's sure. But one game every 10 days for a 21 year old goalie stunts his development. Poile and Lavi are not ready to sit Pekka 50% of the time and honestly the ownership would have a **** fit if they did.

Right now I have little doubt owners are looking at Poile and saying what the hell, now that Riberio cleared theres another million gone. Sure Poile did this in order to see if some GM would bite and I still think Poile has something in the works to bring another center in. Jarnkrok is not the answer. And no I do not think Duchene is in the mix. For the last 12 months every move Poile has made has been questionable Johanson is proving to not be the 1C Poile or Lavi envisioned. While I like the Weber trade most do not so at best thats questionable. Resigning Riberio at 3.5 is biting him in the butt just as Smith and Wilsons contract continue to do. The only ;logic Poile has had is to give the young kids a chance and well some have done well others failed. Forsbergs year is going to end up disappointing we all thought the kid would hit 30 hes pacing at 24 even with the hot period he had. The left side has been a failure. Faila failed on the left and FF9 is down. Arvy has been a pleasent suprise but hes not a 30 goal guy yet may never be but hes a bright spot. The next 10 will prove if Poile was wrong in letting another vet(Riberio) go no matter how ****** he has been there is less stability for the kids, this has been an issue all year.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Why is 2bit skating a positive indication of Josie returning?

Usually those who are not playing stay out and continue practice after those who are playing leave the ice. Based on that tweet it sounds like Bitetto is a scratch tonight.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Good news that Josi maybe back tonight. I would have scratched Weber instead of Bitetto and have Irwin play right side but they will give this a try 1st.

update: Josi just got activated off IR and Ribero assigned to Milwaukee

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm amazed there's so much ire about Saros getting sent down. This has already happened this year. Everybody should've known what it was about immediately.

Saros gets a couple of games and is back in Nashville for the back to back on the 11th and 12th.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Yeah I don't get the big freak out over giving saros a few more games. As long as we bring him up for the back to backs I dont see a problem with it.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
josi activated, saros sent down, Ribeiro clears waivers... been a busy day for pred fans lol.

great news on josi. and Ribeiro clearing shows some of the people that were screaming 'why didn't poile trade him?!!', well exactly why, because no one was interested. wonder if ribs will report? if he does, oh well, I guess we could try to call him up again if needed, even though I think he would have to re-clear waivers coming back up... of course after this last exchange I doubt we have to think about any of that. I imagine we will see saros re-called wed-thur for a next weekend start.

anyway, it's hockey night again. let's keep this thing going.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
josi activated, saros sent down, Ribeiro clears waivers... been a busy day for pred fans lol.

great news on josi. and Ribeiro clearing shows some of the people that were screaming 'why didn't poile trade him?!!', well exactly why, because no one was interested. wonder if ribs will report? if he does, oh well, I guess we could try to call him up again if needed, even though I think he would have to re-clear waivers coming back up... of course after this last exchange I doubt we have to think about any of that. I imagine we will see saros re-called wed-thur for a next weekend start.

anyway, it's hockey night again. let's keep this thing going.

There aren't any re-entry waivers anymore as that was eliminated in the last CBA. We will probably try and trade him again at the deadline as who knows somebody may have a ton of injuries and want him. He is depth in case of injuries for us as well.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
best case scenario with Ribs is Poile tells him, "nobody wants you the way you are right now, go down to Milwaukee, prove you still have something/are worth something and I'll try to find a team that wants you before the deadline or else we will call you back up after the deadline."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad