Proposal: Nyr + van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Kreider and Skjei I'd consider, this no

That or Mika Zibanejad & Brady Skjei for Chris Tanev, but even then I'm hesitant. Losing Tanev really louses up our defense pairings. Erik Gudbranson would have to handle fist pairing rather than second pairing. That was our defense problem last season. asking too many defensemen to play positions above their their skill level.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I am pretty sure even you knew this was a bad proposal for VAN when you wrote it up because you tried to pump the tires on your prospect by listing his slapshot speed and his Hockey's Future rating lol.

LOL nah, originally I didn't include that info, but anyone not familiar with Graves was going to look up his rating and read about his slapshot anyway. Figured I'd save you the time. Graves posted very good offensive numbers in the CHL, and is already playing in the AHL where he has continued to impress. Slapshot is just a bonus. Personally, I'm very high on him, and many others are too. He has potential to be a better overall player than Brady Skjei.

Anyway, if you really want a better forward, I'd just offer you guys Zucc, but his age wouldn't coincide with a Canucks revival in a few years, and that's the thing - you'd need a top caliber forward under the age of 26 to achieve that. Not many of those are being traded, unless you wanna hit up the Oilers.

Hell, if I'm the Oilers, I'd offer you RNH+Nurse right now for Tanev.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
So the Canucks are just gonna leave a gaping hole on the right side after paying a premium to upgrade the right side earlier this summer?

Last edited:

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
That or Mika Zibanejad & Brady Skjei for Chris Tanev, but even then I'm hesitant. Losing Tanev really louses up our defense pairings. Erik Gudbranson would have to handle fist pairing rather than second pairing. That was our defense problem last season. asking too many defensemen to play positions above their their skill level.

No thanks on that price

Would do the OP but doesn't seem like enough for VAN fans in which case probably better to switch targets

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
No thanks on that price

Would do the OP but doesn't seem like enough for VAN fans in which case probably better to switch targets
Yeah, that is a good idea. Canucks are quite happy to keep Tanev. I think you are going to be disappointed when reality sinks in and you find out how much a right side first pairing defenseman is going to cost. Best you draft one and wait the years out while he develops.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Yeah, that is a good idea. Canucks are quite happy to keep Tanev. I think you are going to be disappointed when reality sinks in and you find out how much a right side first pairing defenseman is going to cost. Best you draft one and wait the years out while he develops.

What is this draft you speak of?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't want to move Tanev, our management group is intent on trying to compete, Tanev is the closest approximation to a number one D we have (and even then is a top line, right handed, shut down D), Tanev is signed to a sweet deal, our right side is unjustifiably weak without him, our D in general is awful without him, etc, ad nauseum.

Other teams don't value him as we do, so we will not trade him to other teams. If he were, for what ever reason, be moved, we'd need someone who has the same level of impact on our team Tanev has had, not two players who might, possibly, do so in a number of years.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Knew it was Tanev before even clicking lol.

Rangers aren't a good fit for trade considering their prospect pool is even worse than ours.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am pretty sure even you knew this was a bad proposal for VAN when you wrote it up because you tried to pump the tires on your prospect by listing his slapshot speed and his Hockey's Future rating lol.

He has a rare slapshot. Its an 80 slapshot on the 20-80 scale.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I dunno, you guys are always talking about how dumb your GM is, thought he might be looking to unload Tanev. :)

Posts like this make your credibility even worse. If you know it's a bad proposal and still wanna post it, keep it to your team board rather than the main board where you'll get some serious flame worthy posts usually from both sides.
Luckily this one has been quite civil with both teams agreeing neither can or would make a deal like this right now as neither are in a position to deal from their biggest weaknesses. Canucks need Tanev to compete for a playoff position. Rangers need to add some decent youth after no first round picks the last couple seasons and losing some decent players to UFA.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Yeah, NYR have been 'going for it' for like, 8 years in a row it seems. It's time they started a rebuild/retool. And as for the Canucks' perspective, the value isn't quite there, and we simply rely too heavily on Tanev on our back end. Since ownership is against tanking, Tanev is kind of a non-starter. That's why Canucks fans have been asking the moon for Tanev all summer (the Larsson trade is another reason). Both teams say no thank you here.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Also, when Stepan is traded, Miller is needed for pivot depth

With Brassard traded, there is little likelihood that Step will be moved anytime soon regardless of when his NMC kicks in after this season. If he is moved, you have 3 centre's under the age of 25with the most experienced one having 3 years in the NHL. I just don't see it.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Figured someone would bring up Hall. Fair enough, but I wouldn't expect many Hall/Larsson type deals in the future. Oilers severely overpaid because they have more offense talent than they know what to do with, elite offensive talent at that, plus they knew they'd sign Lucic.

Miller is expected to grow into a 55-60pt player who can grind too, and he's young. That plus Graves, who has serious potential and most NYR fans would not want to trade at all, is a pretty good offer. I would add a 1st though, if that's what it took.

Personally, I think Graves could be close to what Jovanovski was at his best, with better offense. He has very good upside.

You add the 1st and I pull the trigger

Tanev for Graves miller and a 1st isn't going to get much better from other teams

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
LOL nah, originally I didn't include that info, but anyone not familiar with Graves was going to look up his rating and read about his slapshot anyway. Figured I'd save you the time. Graves posted very good offensive numbers in the CHL, and is already playing in the AHL where he has continued to impress. Slapshot is just a bonus. Personally, I'm very high on him, and many others are too. He has potential to be a better overall player than Brady Skjei.

Anyway, if you really want a better forward, I'd just offer you guys Zucc, but his age wouldn't coincide with a Canucks revival in a few years, and that's the thing - you'd need a top caliber forward under the age of 26 to achieve that. Not many of those are being traded, unless you wanna hit up the Oilers.

Hell, if I'm the Oilers, I'd offer you RNH+Nurse right now for Tanev.

Honestly, there aren't really any pieces on the Rangers that would entice me to want to move Tanev. He is probably the most valuable piece the Canucks have right now.

I'd probably take that Oilers offer you have, but the equivalent from NYR would have to be like Stepan + Buch. I don't see you guys likeing that.

EDIT: I'd actually probably prefer Miller to Stepan. But still.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Posts like this make your credibility even worse. If you know it's a bad proposal and still wanna post it, keep it to your team board rather than the main board where you'll get some serious flame worthy posts usually from both sides.
Luckily this one has been quite civil with both teams agreeing neither can or would make a deal like this right now as neither are in a position to deal from their biggest weaknesses. Canucks need Tanev to compete for a playoff position. Rangers need to add some decent youth after no first round picks the last couple seasons and losing some decent players to UFA.

Where did I say this was a bad proposal? It's actually a really good offer, if Tanev was to be traded. My tongue in cheek reply about your GM's stupidity was more of nod to the fact most smart Vancouver fans probably wouldn't want to see him traded at all.

How is offering our best D prospect besides Skjei and probably our best young forward not a credible offer? Saying you would turn it down, fine, I get it. "Hurts credibility"? Get the F out of here.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
AHL All-Star in his first season of pro hockey. Top 5 prospect for the Rangers. I think he's our best defenseman prospect, better than Skjei, although most prefer Skjei.

That's what I'm talking about, man. Graves is a really good prospect. Again, I totally understand why Vancouver fans want nothing to do with trading Tanev, but if Benning were to gauge interest from around the league and the Rangers wanted in, I'd think Graves would have to be a part of any deal. I mean if I was Vancouver, that's one of the demand I'd make.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Where did I say this was a bad proposal? It's actually a really good offer, if Tanev was to be traded. My tongue in cheek reply about your GM's stupidity was more of nod to the fact most smart Vancouver fans probably wouldn't want to see him traded at all.

How is offering our best D prospect besides Skjei and probably our best young forward not a credible offer? Saying you would turn it down, fine, I get it. "Hurts credibility"? Get the F out of here.

As good as those players look they are still question marks, Tanev is a proven commodity that we are in dire need of. Those two players even with a low first rounder added, don't constitute an overpayment and that is what it would take. We don't want to move Tanev.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
As good as those players look they are still question marks, Tanev is a proven commodity that we are in dire need of. Those two players even with a low first rounder added, don't constitute an overpayment and that is what it would take. We don't want to move Tanev.

Fair enough. Just sayin'...it wasn't like I came at you guys with "HOW ABOUT MARC STAAL AND A 3RD FOR TANEV??" lol

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Don't blame you. He's a hell of a defenseman. He's the perfect kind of defenseman in today's NHL. Solid, mobile two-way defender that can take on any type skater in a one-on-one situation, his positioning is solid and he doesn't make many blunders. Moves the puck well out of his own zone. He's no Karlsson, Burns or Subban, but he can skate it out if needed.

A solid, mobile, two-way defender. Every team wants and needs a Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad