Proposal: Nyr + van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
NYR:

J.T. Miller
Ryan Graves (LD, 21 y/o, 6'4 200+, offensive ability, 100mph+ slapshot, 7.0C ranking)

VAN:
Chris Tanev

By the time Tanev is 30, Miller will be 27 and in the midst of his scoring prime, and Graves is expected to be a Top 4 LD or better with an insanely hard shot. Van gets a winger who can fit into their Top 6 right now on a good contract, and is potentially a lot better in a year or two, plus a D prospect who has a great shot to be one of their best D and cost controlled when Tanev is a UFA and ready to be overpaid.

For the Rangers, we're deep at F but desperately need a lock-down RD and Tanev might be the best in the league in that role. Even if Graves is a stud, it won't happen for a few years and Rangers need to be competitive while Hank still has elite seasons left in him. Cap wise, we can afford this, and relieves the pressure to make a trade for Shattenkirk. We can just wait until he's a UFA, so there's potential to have a an excellent Top 4 at the start of 2017-18 with McD/Shattenkirk, Skjei/Tanev. Makes it easier to stomach our bottom pairing, which will most likely remain Staal/McIlrath/Girardi (not terrible if Girardi mostly sits).

I think this deal makes NYR more competitive this year, and (if we are able to sign Shattenkirk the following summer) potentially a SC favorite in 2017-18.

Vancouver fans, I understand you probably don't want to give up Tanev at all. But for those who are open to it, this is the type of deal you'd look for, right? A top 6 F and a good D prospect who will both be in their primes when your other prospects are ready? IMO Miller and Graves have excellent value in this respect, but what say you?

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Only way the Canucks should entertain the idea of moving Tanev is if a potential 1st line forward or top pairing defenseman is coming back. Miller is neither. No thanks.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Wow this would be a painful one, but getting a right handed #2/3 on a sweet deal would be just too good to turn down.

Can see why Van say no to this.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
we're trading tanev for someone who we hope turns into a jovonovski

as far as top 6 forwards go, miller isn't BAD but if you ask oiler fans who would they rather have, larsson or tanev, then really we would be looking at a hall type player to move tanev.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Wow this would be a painful one, but getting a right handed #2/3 on a sweet deal would be just too good to turn down.

Can see why Van say no to this.

It would take an overpayment to get Tanev out of Van, this is not an overpayment, that is why we say no to this.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
JT Miller is probably my favourite Ranger, but Tanev is my favourite Canuck.

The problem is that Tanev is almost everyone's favourite Canuck and the rest of the league is finally paying attention to how good he is, so in a bidding war I don't think this deal gets it done. That said, this is probably fair value in a vacuum.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
This is bad. N we had to endure basically all the Canadian team's fans proposing Tanev trades all summer. Doesn't help Vancouver now, seeing as their goal is to at least try to get the Sedins some support and playoff games before they retire and is really meh moving forward.
Not one true offensive catalyst type forward who can one day hopefully have the potentially to bring about 80% of what Hank Sedin has for Vancouver and no replacement RHD for today or tomorrow.

Great for the Rangers though, lose an expendable forward and a prospect for a guy who would instantly be their best RHD for now and tomorrow.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wouldnt mind this if the Rags add a 2nd round pick but knowing Benning hed probs add the 2nd lol :laugh:

:cry:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sedins to NY makes more sense than Tanev. Sedins can chase rings. Canucks can rebuild.

Tanev is the de facto number one in Vancouver and will not be dealt.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
What's the read on McIlrath? Originally Rangers fans were down on him but it looks like he might be a full-timer next season?

The Rangers basically have to play him or he'll become a UFA summer 2017.

I think he's a player, but AV doesn't seem to like what he brings. My guess is he'll get some time to get in AV's good graces and if AV doesn't play him, he'll be traded.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
It would take an overpayment to get Tanev out of Van, this is not an overpayment, that is why we say no to this.

I agree that's why I said I can see why Vancouver say no to this, Miller is really really good and likely going to keep improving but teams dont just trade away top pair RHD without a piece like Miller and something more proven at this point than Graves.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
NYR:

J.T. Miller
Ryan Graves (LD, 21 y/o, 6'4 200+, offensive ability, 100mph+ slapshot, 7.0C ranking)

VAN:
Chris Tanev

I am pretty sure even you knew this was a bad proposal for VAN when you wrote it up because you tried to pump the tires on your prospect by listing his slapshot speed and his Hockey's Future rating lol.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
we're trading tanev for someone who we hope turns into a jovonovski

as far as top 6 forwards go, miller isn't BAD but if you ask oiler fans who would they rather have, larsson or tanev, then really we would be looking at a hall type player to move tanev.

Figured someone would bring up Hall. Fair enough, but I wouldn't expect many Hall/Larsson type deals in the future. Oilers severely overpaid because they have more offense talent than they know what to do with, elite offensive talent at that, plus they knew they'd sign Lucic.

Miller is expected to grow into a 55-60pt player who can grind too, and he's young. That plus Graves, who has serious potential and most NYR fans would not want to trade at all, is a pretty good offer. I would add a 1st though, if that's what it took.

Personally, I think Graves could be close to what Jovanovski was at his best, with better offense. He has very good upside.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Figured someone would bring up Hall. Fair enough, but I wouldn't expect many Hall/Larsson type deals in the future. Oilers severely overpaid because they have more offense talent than they know what to do with, elite offensive talent at that, plus they knew they'd sign Lucic.

Miller is expected to grow into a 55-60pt player who can grind too, and he's young. That plus Graves, who has serious potential and most NYR fans would not want to trade at all, is a pretty good offer. I would add a 1st though, if that's what it took.

Personally, I think Graves could be close to what Jovanovski was at his best, with better offense. He has very good upside.

I agree the Hall/Larsson deal is a "one-time item", I do not expect that to become the norm nor does it "set the market" to me. Still baffling EDM did it but no need to rehash it.

As far as this deal, you can argue quality (aka Hall) over quantity but in this case the quantity is still good players.

Miller is a great top 6 player with upside, not sure I see him getting upwards of 60 pts but that is more on my expectations on his playing time with the Rangers. His PP/60 should be solid enough.

Graves has 2nd pairing upside with some unique skills, huge, can skate for his size and really rip it from the point.

Its not a bad deal however I would include a 2nd as a "sweetener" if it would help move the needle.

Last edited:

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I like the idea of adding JT Miller to the canucks our right side is pretty weak beyond Erikson and Hansen and he would fit perfectly in between on our 2ND line.

The only thing is we are restructuring our team to make the post season and losing Tanev for anything short of a bonifide 1st line fwd or rhd replacement forces us to halt any deal for him.

I like the value but it's just not going to work as of now. However, I would like to counter the proposal.

Hutton + Gaunce
For
Jt Miller + Staal@20-35% retention

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I like the idea of adding JT Miller to the canucks our right side is pretty weak beyond Erikson and Hansen and he would fit perfectly in between on our 2ND line.

The only thing is we are restructuring our team to make the post season and losing Tanev for anything short of a bonifide 1st line fwd or rhd replacement forces us to halt any deal for him.

I like the value but it's just not going to work as of now. However, I would like to counter the proposal.

Hutton + Gaunce
For
Jt Miller + Staal@20-35% retention

Doesn't work for the Rangers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider and Skjei I'd consider, this no
No to the OP and NO to this!

Sedins to NY makes more sense than Tanev. Sedins can chase rings. Canucks can rebuild.

Tanev is the de facto number one in Vancouver and will not be dealt.
NY needs to rebuild too
We are good, not good enough.
Gorton is following what I've been preachin
go younger, cheaper, try for more potential upside

Thanks, but pass on the Sedins
Rangers will keep the younger core and move a couple of vets still on the right side of 30.

The Rangers basically have to play him or he'll become a UFA summer 2017.

I think he's a player, but AV doesn't seem to like what he brings. My guess is he'll get some time to get in AV's good graces and if AV doesn't play him, he'll be traded.

Or AV has already been told this is Gorton's team now, you made enough of a mess already, and you may be talented as far as Xs and Os, but in any event, no more screwing up young talent 'cause you favor vets
McIlrath stays, AV takes it or goes.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Again not an overpayment, even adding the first which will be in the 20-30 range does not make it that much better. If you want Tanev your giving up something you don't want to give up. Period.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
No to the OP and NO to this!

NY needs to rebuild too
We are good, not good enough.
Gorton is following what I've been preachin
go younger, cheaper, try for more potential upside

Thanks, but pass on the Sedins
Rangers will keep the younger core and move a couple of vets still on the right side of 30.

Or AV has already been told this is Gorton's team now, you made enough of a mess already, and you may be talented as far as Xs and Os, but in any event, no more screwing up young talent 'cause you favor vets
McIlrath stays, AV takes it or goes.

Totally agree, these two teams do not make good trading partners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad