Player Discussion NYR Training Camp 2016: Part II

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he still counts against the cap, just not the 23 man limit

Depending on how you look at it I guess you could say it doesn't count against the cap...it does BUT you can still exceed the cap by the amount of his contract. So you could kind of look at it like instead of having a $74 mill cap (or whatever it is these days) they now have a $75 mill cap or whatever his cap hit is, but his cap hit is still on the books.

Then when he comes back they have to get under the normal cap

Tom Renney was the most mild mannered guy in the world (naturally). The fans got fed up with him. Torts was torts. AV is now PE#1. I won't even mention the coaches in the lean years.

Look inward fans. Be better.

Yeah seriously. I can't even think of the last coach that Rangers fans liked. Most fans dislike things their coaches do, hard to find a perfect one. I've seen Blackhawk's fans complain like crazy about Quineville shuffling lines or playing vet D or checking line forwards like Glass, etc. St Louis has been begging to get rid of Hitchcock for years now.

I have my issues with AV but I'm not exactly ready to run him out of town yet.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If I could ask AV to do stuff it would go something like,

Fix that Lundqvist is facing dangerous shots all the time, not even advanced stats, eye test says he has to make like on average 4 saves per game that would be goals on many other goalies.

Fix the D chasing behind their own net, it's unproductive they never get the puck back.

Fix the forwards coming back so they know where to go, who to cover and what to do if/when the other team sets up.

Try to make a 4th line that can both defend and go up ice and apply some pressure. Forget about specific role or element. Two way play is the key even if weak at times.

Fix Hayes trying to slow everything down all the time. Sometimes, even often it's the right play but not all the time.

And find some coach who can improve the face-offs. It's not the biggest deal in the world but they seriously suck at it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Depending on how you look at it I guess you could say it doesn't count against the cap...it does BUT you can still exceed the cap by the amount of his contract. So you could kind of look at it like instead of having a $74 mill cap (or whatever it is these days) they now have a $75 mill cap or whatever his cap hit is, but his cap hit is still on the books.

Then when he comes back they have to get under the normal cap

Yeah seriously. I can't even think of the last coach that Rangers fans liked. Most fans dislike things their coaches do, hard to find a perfect one. I've seen Blackhawk's fans complain like crazy about Quineville shuffling lines or playing vet D or checking line forwards like Glass, etc. St Louis has been begging to get rid of Hitchcock for years now.

I have my issues with AV but I'm not exactly ready to run him out of town yet

Quennville has 3 cups, and Hitchcock has been to THREE Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and has a cup...

AV has 2 conference finals, 1 stanley cup final, and no cups, all of which are built on back breaking goaltending abilities, followed by lack of unbiased decisions, and a huge input of personal bias...

When AV wins something, we can put his name in the sentence of those two guys.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Fix that Lundqvist is facing dangerous shots all the time, not even advanced stats, eye test says he has to make like on average 4 saves per game that would be goals on many other goalies.

Fix the D chasing behind their own net, it's unproductive they never get the puck back.

Fix the forwards coming back so they know where to go, who to cover and what to do if/when the other team sets up.

Try to make a 4th line that can both defend and go up ice and apply some pressure. Forget about specific role or element. Two way play is the key even if weak at times.

Fix Hayes trying to slow everything down all the time. Sometimes, even often it's the right play but not all the time.

And find some coach who can improve the face-offs. It's not the biggest deal in the world but they seriously suck at it.

I think AV's system is predicated on getting the puck back to you, even if that means you need elite goaltending to do that.

Problem is, if you give up a goal, there goes any positive morale

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Quennville has 3 cups, and Hitchcock has been to THREE Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and has a cup...

AV has 2 conference finals, 1 stanley cup final, and no cups, all of which are built on back breaking goaltending abilities, followed by lack of unbiased decisions, and a huge input of personal bias...

That's my exact point really, it doesn't matter how good a coach is fans complain about all kinds of crap and say stupid things like "they need to hurry up and fire this guy"

Plus it's not like Hitchcock has won cups and gone to the finals with the Blues

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the...am-building-exercises-this-weekend/205299452/
Alain Vigneault said last night that the Rangers will be holding team building exercises this weekend.

He said that the team will do some training with the NYPD, and talk with Det. Anthony Mason, who disarmed the device on 27th street recently, about team work and communication. (NY Post)

Vigneault said following practice on Saturday the team will go to the 9/11 Memorial Museum, speak with NYPD Citywide Operations Chief Thomas Purtell "who presided over the NYPD's rescue and recovery operations at Ground Zero, and will also talk with Det. Barry Driscoll, son of first responder Stephen Driscoll, who perished while saving others in the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Center." (NY Post)

He continued, "all of these next days in my estimation are very well planned. We don't get an opportunity to go out in New York that much and learn about the people and the city and the NYPD that we respect a lot. I am really looking forward to it. We've been talking to our team about this the past couple of days and I know that they are really excited to have that opportunity. We have it laid out and we have some decisions to make and that is what we will do moving forward."

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think #1 is a product of #2 to a pretty big degree. They need to stop chasing behind the net, as you said, it almost never leads to them regaining possession.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Did "Bittersweet Symphony" start playing in anyone else's head when they read "Glass waived"?

No, I was seeing AV and Glass in a field together being pulled away from each other with tears in their eyes and the song "So Happy Together" fading into the background and the skies going from sunny to dark and then it started pouring.

This is what I think about when I'm on break at work, apparently.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I don't exactly like Vigneault, I think his demeanor is too laid back, but in terms of all-time regular season wins, he's right near the top of active coaches. I think Quenneville, Hitchcock and Ruff are the only ones with more.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't exactly like Vigneault, I think his demeanor is too laid back, but in terms of all-time regular season wins, he's right near the top of active coaches. I think Quenneville, Hitchcock and Ruff are the only ones with more.

Probably a pretty strong relation to # of games coached, and maybe not the best barometer of coaching talent?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here are my thoughts on camp and the players remaining.

Pirri: Deserves to make it. He's a guy that won't be out there protecting leads. He'll have some games where he's scores 2 and only plays 14 minutes. That's okay, he's a gem in the offensive zone.
Instant secondary offense. Needs sheltered zone starts.

Fast: I thought he had an underwhelming camp. Overall, he was a decent skater and fairly responsible.... but for a guy that's scored at every level... he seems very gun shy to shoot still.

Miller: I like the player Miller is becoming. He's a throwback. He thrives on being a throwback. Letting Miller loose against weaker competition allows for the Rangers to really mimic the '07 Sabres forward depth.... albeit maybe with less skill and a defense that already struggled in pre-season. I liked Miller killing penalties... he's proven to be good at it in every level he played at before the NHL.

Jooris: I'd love to see him play more... if he's all energy every shift... which he'll have to be to earn ice-time... he's a very effective player. Smart, heady, hustle.
I'd love to hear him get a Zuuuuc like chant and become a fan fave.

Vesey: He's a top 6 player imo... right away... a responsible two-way winger. Maybe his upside is really 22-25 goals... and 18-22 assists.... I think he's there right now... with the ability to be trusted on defence... and in-game situations.... Kid's really smart and sure-handed. Gonna play with Stepan and Nash IMO.

Buchnevich: Chemistry with Kreider and Zibanejad made Kreider look like the player he's supposed to be.... Buchnevich deserves to play... gives the Rangers a legitimately intimidating top-6 unit.

Hayes: You know he did the smart thing by dropping 20... looked much faster... still struggled on face-offs... needs to practice that every day..... but I think Hayes on the PK was a good sign... but ultimately he reaps minutes in the offensive zone with Pirri and Zuccarello. Also shot decisively.

Buekaboom: Loved the fact that he was barking at Staal and Girardi.... free lunch is over guys... there was one game where Marc Staal of old showed up.... if the Rangers get that.... that's a different team.

Clendening: The final two games... you know you get physical with this guy.... and he starts screwing up.... that's why he's always moved around... but you can run a beautiful 1-3-1 with him in the line up with Pirri-Kreider-Zibanejad-Buch... Rangers should give him ice time.

I think you end up with a unique experiment:

Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Pirri-Hayes-Zucc
Grabner-Miller-Jooris/Fast

That's depth folks... that's good effective depth. Trade incoming?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That second line is defensive garbag. It will be -10 5 games in

What second line?

Kreider-Zibby-Buch should be OK, if not great in their own end but should hoepfully be spending a lot of time in the other teams zone

Nash-Stepan-Zucc would be fine defensively

Vesey-Hayes-Miller is suspect defensively but I think they're more of a third line and will get softer minutes to alleviate that

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
To be honest. This team looks like hot crap thrown on toast.
No dynamic talent on D or O and marginal defensive ability.
This is gonna be a long season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be honest. This team looks like hot crap thrown on toast.
No dynamic talent on D or O and marginal defensive ability.
This is gonna be a long season.

Nah, the offense looks fun. Rangers have been one of the better offensive teams in the league since AV came in and that will probably continue. 3 pretty good lines and a fourth with a little ability to chip in

The D looks like crap though can't spin that one

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Slats has made a grave mistake letting Gorton take over this team. There is no way this roster makes the playoffs. Hank is gonna get his brains beat in.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Slats has made a grave mistake letting Gorton take over this team. There is no way this roster makes the playoffs. Hank is gonna get his brains beat in.

What should Sather have done instead? Gorton is saving this team. Let him keep doing it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What should Sather have done instead? Gorton is saving this team. Let him keep doing it.

Gorton did a great job this offseason. This is as deep an offense as NYR has had in a long time. The d desperately needs a solid RD though. Shattenkirk would go a long way toward bolstering this lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad