Proposal: (NYR/TOR/Utah) Marner Liljegren, Trouba Kakko

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Value aside, Marner doesn't mesh with Bill Armstrong's vision and what he is building.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
lol brother I know exactly what Trouba is. He's an okay player. He isn't a force. At literally anything. Even Rangers fans will tell you the same thing.
Actually, he’s been quite good since they changed the pairings.

He’s not an $8m defenseman, but he’s one of the best physical presences and shot-blockers in the league.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Bro, it literally says this in the message you are quoting :

( Utah adds $5.4515m in cap, but only $0.3875m actual dollars )

Almost all of Marner's actual money that he gets paid is paid to him on July 1st, and then he gets the final $775,000 (less than 1 million) paid to him throughout the season. Leafs wait until July 1st, pay Marner almost all of his actual money, and then later that day, they trade him to New York via Utah. Utah pays Marner less than $400,000 actual money, and Rangers pay Marner less than $400,000 actual money.
It depends on when bonus is paid.

You can't make s trade against 25_35 cap and getting say 24 picks. It must be done after the bonus I'd paid.

Not all pay dated are july 1. Some are sept dates

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
It depends on when bonus is paid.

You can't make s trade against 25_35 cap and getting say 24 picks. It must be done after the bonus I'd paid.

Not all pay dated are july 1. Some are sept dates
Do many teams put signing bonuses into contracts that are paid after July 1st? I could understand June or the first day of July, but September seems like you're just handcuffing yourself in case you have to deal the contract later. Also, Toronto is a rich team will money to spare. Why wouldn't they just give Marner his money nice and early? Makes no difference to them. Really confused about why teams would opt for September dates.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Maybe. Who really knows.

But in this case...i'd think that Marner might just prefer, "Not Toronto" over most other places. That's a city and fanbase that is turning on a guy in a huge way. In a hockey crazed market. That might not be such a fun place to be anymore for a guy who is landing as the biggest scapegoat for a decade of failure and playoff futility.

And since we're totally just speculating and guessing anyway...i could see Marner actually enjoying a nice little reprieve from a fishbowl market, going to a place like Utah where, they'll be more in the spotlight than they were in Arizona...but the pressure and scrutiny is going to be very different there, compared to Toronto. And frankly, Marner doesn't strike me as nearly such a "Big City Lights" NYC state of mind type personality anyway.

Also just totally redundant to the Rangers when they've already got the much much better version of him in Bread Man.

We're all speculating here... but I think Marner likes being buddies with Bieber. He probably doesn't like all of the criticism and ridicule he receives in Toronto, but I also don't think he'd want to go live in Salt Lake City.

If I'm Mitch Marner, the only situations I'm waiving my NMC for are to either a) have a ridiculously good shot at a cup or B) somewhere that I'd like to sign my next deal.

Trying to put myself in Marner's shoes... the teams that jump out to me as "I'd like to play here" are probably Los Angeles, New York, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Dallas.

Even Seattle, I think would be more attractive to Marner than Utah.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Value aside, Marner doesn't mesh with Bill Armstrong's vision and what he is building.
Utah is there to absorb cap space for a 1st, they aren't getting Marner in this wacky trade :laugh:

Zero chance Trouba waives to Canada. He's made it very clear that he wants to play somewhere his wife can actually do her job (nurse/doctor).
Also Utah isn't a cap dump team anymore, they also only have 2 retention slots and probably aren't going to use one on a guy they don't own.
That's a good woman. Here you go honey put my $300 in our savings account. What's it up to now - $50 million? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
The biggest thing needed to get this deal across the line would be Bettman doing a heel turn and giving the franchise back to Meruelo.

Teams need to find the next dumping ground

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A middle six winger, a fourth line centre and a prospect they have an abundance of for an elite forward? Pretty sure Utah would take it and run
I did say politely.

GM Armstrong is building a big, physical, mean team. Crouse and McBain are huge parts of that identity. Disagree they have an abundance of prospects like Doan. Doan is NHL ready and showed well the end of the season.

And then there is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Just cant see paying Marner the money he will command.

Reactions: G Backup

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I did say politely.

GM Armstrong is building a big, physical, mean team. Crouse and McBain are huge parts of that identity. Disagree they have an abundance of prospects like Doan. Doan is NHL ready and showed well the end of the season.

And then there is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Just cant see paying Marner the money he will command.
They've picked 6 times in the first round in the past 3 years... They have a deep prospect pool. As far as the money goes, I don't see why not. They have the cap space and he's the type of player that could put asses in seats. This is a new hockey market, they're probably going to want to make a big splash

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
They've picked 6 times in the first round in the past 3 years... They have a deep prospect pool. As far as the money goes, I don't see why not. They have the cap space and he's the type of player that could put asses in seats. This is a new hockey market, they're probably going to want to make a big splash
Of course I do not know whether the team/owner actually care about his salary. I look at the team salary structure and see Marner will command almost double the current highest paid / best player on the team (Keller) and worry that destroys the structure.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Of course I do not know whether the team/owner actually care about his salary. I look at the team salary structure and see Marner will command almost double the current highest paid / best player on the team (Keller) and worry that destroys the structure.
Players typically use other players around the league as their comparables regardless of they're teammates or not. In all likelihood he'll be asking for north of 10 million on his next contract. I also don't think management is concerned with that cause he still has 4 more years left.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
no reason for NYR to pay so much
for 1 year of a guy they can't afford to re-sign
plus a decent but easy-to-replace young-ish d-man

Leafs may aim to shake things up, but NYR likely won't be involved

Personally, as a long-time hockey fan,
I think TML should keep the core four - that's their current superpower,

there's gonna be a new coach, find the best guy
and give him those 4 leading the team

and work to build more effective depth and goaltending
it's astounding to me how MANY late career D guys they've cycled in the last few years,
Muzzin, Brodie, McCabe, 'bush, Gio, Edmundson, Klingberg

(i know it's hard, and NYR have been very fortunate to have both
- currently 4 strong home-developed D and,
- somehow, 30+ years of Vezina-worthy goalies from Richter>Hank>Shesty

usually I woulda rooted for Leafs to beat B's, i was at start
but now our AHL team is playing Providence,
and we're glad Beecher, Brazaeu, Lohrei have another NHL round keeping them up w B's

Ledge And Dairy

Utah is there to absorb cap space for a 1st, they aren't getting Marner in this wacky trade :laugh:

That's a good woman. Here you go honey put my $300 in our savings account. What's it up to now - $50 million? :laugh:
He's making the money no matter what. Just because he values that she doesn't want to be a complete leech doesn't give you the right to bash that decision. He got the NTC for a reason and has every right to exercise it

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Deal done on/after July 1st
(for Trouba NTC/NMC purposes and Marner signing bonus purposes)

to New York Rangers
Mitch Marner (50% retain by Utah) [ 1y @ $5.4515m ]
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
( Rangers receive approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Kaapo Kakko [ RFA ]
Jacob Trouba [ 2y @ $8.0m ]
( Toronto receives approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )
( Utah may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to TOR maybe ? )

to Utah Raptors
2025 NYR 1st Round Pick
( NYR may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to Utah maybe ? )
Safe to say, the days of sending Cap Space to Franchise #32, have come to an end.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Safe to say, the days of sending Cap Space to Franchise #32, have come to an end.
Even if a team says "we're not going to take cap dumps for draft picks and prospects anymore", we're talking about a team with 40 million dollars in cap space taking on only 1 single year of a salary dump, having to pay less than 10% of that in actual dollars, and getting a 1st round draft pick for doing it. If there's every going to be a situation where you make an exception, this is as good as any. Almost any team in the league that had $40 million in cap space would consider taking on $5 million cap hit for one year while paying less than $400,000 in dollars in exchange for a 1st round pick. Lottery team, playoff team, contender, any of them. It's just really good asset management. The only reason this rarely ever happens is because teams never have 40 million dollars in cap space.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Deal done on/after July 1st
(for Trouba NTC/NMC purposes and Marner signing bonus purposes)

to New York Rangers
Mitch Marner (50% retain by Utah) [ 1y @ $5.4515m ]
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
( Rangers receive approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Kaapo Kakko [ RFA ]
Jacob Trouba [ 2y @ $8.0m ]
( Toronto receives approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )
( Utah may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to TOR maybe ? )

to Utah Raptors
2025 NYR 1st Round Pick
( NYR may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to Utah maybe ? )
The deal is dead when you add Trouba, he picked his team, and wouldnt leave.
switch it to Miller and you may have a beginning, and Kakko isnt enough of an add to get Marner on his own, save adding Lili.
you may be buying low, but, not that low.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He's making the money no matter what. Just because he values that she doesn't want to be a complete leech doesn't give you the right to bash that decision. He got the NTC for a reason and has every right to exercise it
I said she was a good woman.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Stat line is the stat line for Marner but I think the high ankle sprain is definitely flying under the radar with him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
reason for NYR to pay so much
for 1 year of a guy they can't afford to re-sign
plus a decent but easy-to-replace young-ish d-man
NYR probably can't afford to re-sign Trouba now in 2026. Lindgren and Schneider get raises this summer and then Miller gets a raise the summer after that. Trouba is just there until his contract is up. Marner would be the same idea but 2025 UFA instead of 2026. A quality player to provide scoring depth to a cup contender that won't be there beyond their contract. Liljegren would be there to be the third pairing RHD to at least start the season, and then perhaps be a trade asset later on if he doesn't seem like a good fit for the Rangers moving forward. Cup contenders need depth players and trade chips.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is some chatter at Rs board about how Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko, while not finishing/scoring enuf, is a real possession monster.
Consistent w/what I said about Cuylle-Kakko being great bookend Ws, just need to add a quality pivot w/mo offense if Chytil can't return.

KK is not available. More profitable/desirable for us to go my way than sell him low compared to obv emerging upside.

Presume Trouba will not agree to TOR. He will be dealt, but to a team of his preference.

Due to RD shortage Lilj is a fit for NYR needs tho I am not certain we have currency Leafs accept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad