Proposal: NYR - SJ again

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
B Othmann + Z Jones
for
F Bystedt + J Walman

SJ can clear out some salary and get a prospect who fits with the insane C depth the sharks have - a scoring pest of a winger with high quality shot. Jones an underrated PMD who can run a PP.

NY gets a more battle tested LD to shore up the corps in Lindgren's injury and likely upcoming FA departure, and get a C prospect who's still figuring it out.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
B Othmann + Z Jones
for
F Bystedt + J Walman

SJ can clear out some salary and get a prospect who fits with the insane C depth the sharks have - a scoring pest of a winger with high quality shot. Jones an underrated PMD who can run a PP.

NY gets a more battle tested LD to shore up the corps in Lindgren's injury and likely upcoming FA departure, and get a C prospect who's still figuring it out.
I am not going to speak on the value of this trade but I don't understand your reasoning for the benefits of the trade to the Sharks of clearing out salary. We don't really need any salary cap space right now or any time in the future. Walman has been our best defenseman so far and we already have more than enough LD prospects in the pipeline. We may move Walman at the deadline for a pick if the team is comfortable with how Mukhamadullin progresses.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I’d pass.

Walman looks like a #3 dman on a team of 5-7s. I’d rather keep him, and he can run the PP rather than Jones. Walman might be available next deadline, but I’m glad we have one legitimate puck mover on the roster, particularly given he’s been eating 23 minutes effectively. Jones may blow up, but if Walman can stay at this level, we’ll be extending him.

Othman is a good prospect, but I’d rather keep the center. We have Eklund, Musty, Cherny, Haltunnen, Graf, and Cardwell at wing and Celebrini, Smith, and Bysted at center. If we get Misa, McQueen, or Hagens, maybe we can move Bystedt, but if it’s Schaefer or Martone then we’d be light at C.

Also, I’m not worried about Salary, particularly for next year. He’ll we took of Goodrow’s longer terrible contract (which I’m fine with- we can use his leadership and grit).

Grinner

May 31, 2022
No thanks from this Sharks fan perspective.
Othman besides being a LW has character flaws. Jones has proven he barely belongs playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Really no reason for SJ to do this at all. As everyone said, they don't care about salary right now. If anything they have too many wingers, so adding another doesn't make sense. Much rather have Walman on the team than Jones, given he is our current best D, whether that's sad or not, they still need him around. Jones would just be another bottom pairing guy being overplayed on a bad team.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sharks have no need to clear salary. If they really needed cap space they’d put Logan Couture, who I’m pretty sure has secretly had his entire lower body amputated, on LTIR.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
B Othmann + Z Jones
for
F Bystedt + J Walman

I just checked with the league, and they confirmed that the salary cap does, in fact, still exist.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
B Othmann + Z Jones
for
F Bystedt + J Walman

Walman has a cap hit of 3.4 mil. The Rangers don't have the cap space to make this deal to my knowledge. They'd be about 2 million over with this deal. The Sharks are fine on cap so clearing salary isn't going to be some huge motivator for them. Getting futures like Othmann is a good motivator but I don't think they're going to want to do that at the expense of their only reliable defenseman and someone that is likely to get some NHL opportunities this season in Bystedt. Jones doesn't move the needle much for me as a Walman replacement.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I am not going to speak on the value of this trade but I don't understand your reasoning for the benefits of the trade to the Sharks of clearing out salary. We don't really need any salary cap space right now or any time in the future. Walman has been our best defenseman so far and we already have more than enough LD prospects in the pipeline. We may move Walman at the deadline for a pick if the team is comfortable with how Mukhamadullin progresses.
What a coincidence, I don't understand the reasoning behind the Rangers wanting to take on salary.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ahole extraordinaire.
When did Jones start tearing it up?
So you know Othmann? What's your source for saying that?

Jones isn't tearing it up. I never said he is. You are moving the goalposts to suggest that's what the claim that's the issue at play here. Jones absolutely belongs playing in the NHL. He's proving that without a doubt.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice try. Othmann is a bust.
Under what grounds? He was .73PPG in the AHL his first pro season, and 1.33 right now in his second.
1 Rangers fan criticizing a Sharks fan saying why they dont like it
Actually, I was criticizing a Sharks fan who was claiming absurd things about our players. Don't try to fit this into your narrative about the trade. This is a separate issue.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
B Othmann + Z Jones
for
F Bystedt + J Walman

No thank you.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't see how this makes sense for SJ. Bystedt is a PPG in the AHL and Walman is a legit 2nd pairing dman that the Sharks desperately need. Zac jones would be a downgrade from Walman and Othmann, at best, would be an even swap with Bystedt.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
SJ can clear out some salary

this is where the deal dies.

The Sharks don't need to "clear salary", we're 11 million UNDER the cap.

also, the Sharks aren't trading their de facto best Defenseman and their 5th/6th best prospect for a couple of nobodies.

Yes, I said it, Othmann and Jones are nobodies. If we wanted low ceiling trash prospects there's plenty we can find on the waiver wire.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad