Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] RW Kaapo Kakko signs extension with the Rangers (1 year, $2.4M)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why would he go to Europe? No one's going to pay him anywhere close to $2.4 mil even in Switzerland. He'll be a career NHLer whether that's in his current limited role or something more.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Never heard of fans of any team that would overpay.

K is what he is and if he goes no further then what he did last season, he's got one foot in Euro leagues.

So no proposal is going to be on what he may be as an ex 2nd overall, more like the concern that he simply no better then last season. Teams start looking at replacing that kind of production with graduating and cheap prospects.

For us, it's an experiment if we can change that trajectory back to a 2nd overall, or just as likelÿ fail and move on.

Absolutely couldn't care less if Habs management hangs up on any trade for him. Adding bottom 6 player is not an aspiration...

And yet, you came into the thread about him being re-signed by the Rangers offering scraps for said "experiment." Why should the Rangers not forget the scraps and see how the experiment ends themselves? The "upside" for the Rangers in your proposal was a player worse than what they have already, with your self-admitted possibility he becomes more.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And yet, you came into the thread about him being re-signed by the Rangers offering scraps for said "experiment." Why should the Rangers not forget the scraps and see how the experiment ends themselves? The "upside" for the Rangers in your proposal was a player worse than what they have already, with your self-admitted possibility he becomes more.
Go for it.

At no point did I say I gave a damn about not getting Kakko. Please, keep him.

On the other hand, you are offended by someone that doesn't give him much value. Boo-hoo.

Edit...just looked up his playoff performance. One Point. ONE POINT IN 15 GAMES. With one point he doesn't need a change of scenery. Nope. But teams should pay up big because...lol

Last edited:

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Go for it.

At no point did I say I gave a damn about not getting Kakko. Please, keep him.

On the other hand, you are offended by someone that doesn't give him much value. Boo-hoo.

Edit...just looked up his playoff performance. One Point. ONE POINT IN 15 GAMES. With one point he doesn't need a change of scenery. Nope. But teams should pay up big because...lol

Once again, literally no one else in this thread is discussing a trade proposal. Only you. And only you have proposed trading FOR him, but offering up already inferior players for him. I don't think you fully understand what offended is. I'm not at all offended. Stupefied, maybe. But I'm also not the one in a re-signing thread trying to trade for a guy I "don't give a damn about" getting.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Once again, literally no one else in this thread is discussing a trade proposal. Only you. And only you have proposed trading FOR him, but offering up already inferior players for him. I don't think you fully understand what offended is. I'm not at all offended. Stupefied, maybe. But I'm also not the one in a re-signing thread trying to trade for a guy I "don't give a damn about" getting.
Reading comprehension?

I don't mind the trade for a certain price, lots of teeth knashing because that price is too low. Fine, I don't care if it doesn't happen.

I could expand that it's a risk and that's why the low offer, but people are stuck on the offer itself.

Moving on....

• Haha
Reactions: nashnaidoo

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You can tell who clicks on Rangers threads to bait and troll when it is a run of the mill thread about a qualifying offer and they don't understand how qualifying offers work lol

What's that? It's all from the same fan base?

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Rangers are now (pretty much) in the same position Dallas and Detroit were with Nichushkin and Zadina. A high pick who’s shown flashes but he’s 25 now. Value isn’t what it was even a year ago.

We can assume he signed the deal to keep other teams interested, because it eliminates any arbitration concerns for teams.

There really isn’t any other reason for him to sign his extension yet. Only to have a firm dollar for teams to evaluate for trade reasons. We can assume he’s now officially on the market and likely gets moved at the draft..

Unlike Zadina and Nichushkin, there’s still a few people out there who think he can be a Top 6 player, not just a player to take a chance on like Colorado and San Jose did with the other two. Nobody was beating down Nichushkin’s door when the Avs signed him. Here, there’s teams who wouldn’t take him at $2.4 million, and there’s other teams who have no problem taking the chance, because he can contribute in other ways. At worst, he’s an overpaid bottom 6 player for a year, and then goes unqualified next summer.

He’s been such a strange player to evaluate because opinions are all over the place. Personally, I think he’s worth the chance, because he creates scoring chances off of the battles he wins down low. Still wouldn’t pay much for him. A 3rd Rounder is about the most. Maybe he’s included in a larger trade.

Because he can win those battles down low, every team in the Atlantic should be interested with all those big dmen coming, or already in the division.

Still likely isn’t worth very much though. A team is either gonna get a steal and he’s gonna become a consistent player, or he’s gonna be one and done, not even qualified next summer. Nobody’s hoping for a Nichushkin situation though. Not from a manager perspective anyway.. They’re more gonna be hoping he becomes a consistent third line player, who’s hard to play against, who wins battles and chips in 15 goals a year. That’s what they’re hoping to get.

Could a team like Utah, who has all those 2nd rounders, throw one at the Rangers? Maybe. More likely a 3rd rounder is what they’ll get though.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers are now (pretty much) in the same position Dallas and Detroit were with Nichushkin and Zadina. A high pick who’s shown flashes but he’s 25 now. Value isn’t what it was even a year ago.

We can assume he signed the deal to keep other teams interested, because it eliminates any arbitration concerns for teams.

There really isn’t any other reason for him to sign his extension yet. Only to have a firm dollar for teams to evaluate for trade reasons. We can assume he’s now officially on the market and likely gets moved at the draft..

Unlike Zadina and Nichushkin, there’s still a few people out there who think he can be a Top 6 player, not just a player to take a chance on like Colorado and San Jose did with the other two. Nobody was beating down Nichushkin’s door when the Avs signed him. Here, there’s teams who wouldn’t take him at $2.4 million, and there’s other teams who have no problem taking the chance, because he can contribute in other ways. At worst, he’s an overpaid bottom 6 player for a year, and then goes unqualified next summer.

He’s been such a strange player to evaluate because opinions are all over the place. Personally, I think he’s worth the chance, because he creates scoring chances off of the battles he wins down low. Still wouldn’t pay much for him. A 3rd Rounder is about the most. Maybe he’s included in a larger trade.

Because he can win those battles down low, every team in the Atlantic should be interested with all those big dmen coming, or already in the division.

Still likely isn’t worth very much though. A team is either gonna get a steal and he’s gonna become a consistent player, or he’s gonna be one and done, not even qualified next summer. Nobody’s hoping for a Nichushkin situation though. Not from a manager perspective anyway.. They’re more gonna be hoping he becomes a consistent third line player, who’s hard to play against, who wins battles and chips in 15 goals a year. That’s what they’re hoping to get.

Could a team like Utah, who has all those 2nd rounders, throw one at the Rangers? Maybe. More likely a 3rd rounder is what they’ll get though.
Bingo. You expanded why he's only worth what he's worth.

He needs a new start and maybe a big second chance, which may or may not work out. His value reflects that risk. Or he stays with the Rangers.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
They have $10m in cap to sign Lindgren, Schneider, a 13F and a 7D.

Also, that was his Qualifying Offer. They have to make it, and if he accepts it he accepts it.
Reading Restricted Free Agents (RFA) & Qualifying Offers | Puckpedia it seems like his QO would have to be $3.6M (lower of 120% cap hit ($3M x 1.2) or last salary ($4M)). Could we offer him like a lot more years (i.e. buying his UFA years) but at this QO price and give him zero trade protections? I'm just trying to think this through out loud...

We have him locked in to a long term contract.
His AAV is fairly cost controlled.
We can trade him at any time.
He can say no to it.
Worse case scenario is he goes the way of Dan Girardi but at a much cheaper AAV. I think G had like 1.5 ok seasons after he resigned before he really started falling apart from injuries.
Ryan did suffer a bad leg or knee injury in March which contributed to his playoff run
Ryan's advanced stats have to be better than Girardi's right? right?
Girardi has like 1650 blocks as a Ranger thanks to Torts coaching style
Ryan has yet to play a full 82 game season. In fact in 5 full seasons, his games played are 60, 51, 78, 63, 76
He only missed 6 games with that leg injury he had?? Perhaps like Trouba he should have spent more time off the ice.

Ok, I talked my way through it and a long term contract even at a lower AAV still scares me.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Reading comprehension?

I don't mind the trade for a certain price, lots of teeth knashing because that price is too low. Fine, I don't care if it doesn't happen.

I could expand that it's a risk and that's why the low offer, but people are stuck on the offer itself.

Moving on....

Was this you? "At no point did I say I gave a damn about not getting Kakko. Please, keep him."

Because I think my reading comprehension is just fine. You don't mind the trade if it's so obviously lopsided that it's ridiculous to even propose. Wonderful for you. Once again, you are the only one in here who proposed a trade for this player, then got indignant when someone said "no."

I could expand how at the costs you suggested, there is less than no risk to Montreal. Oh wait... I already did multiple times. Take the "no," and move on 7 posts ago instead of continuing your personal attacks and accusations because no one agreed with your nonsensical proposal you made in a re-signing thread. If you care so little about acquiring a player, feel free to go make a proposal thread instead of clogging up this one about the Rangers literally keeping him.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Dude will never even come close to developing into what he was projected to be. I remember the 2019 draft when, after the Devils selected Jack Hughes with the first pick, jubilant Ranger fans were deliriously screaming, “KAP-PO KAK-KO! :clap:KAP-PO KAK-KO! :clap:

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Personally I want the Rangers to hang onto him. Don't care if he's not a PPG player. Take him for what he is. He's got a good all around game. He's lacked production, and for his size could be a little more physical. If he figures that out i think he is going to be a solid player for any roster at a relatively low pricetag.

With that said...I have a feeling he ends up on the Sabres.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Reading Restricted Free Agents (RFA) & Qualifying Offers | Puckpedia it seems like his QO would have to be $3.6M (lower of 120% cap hit ($3M x 1.2) or last salary ($4M)). Could we offer him like a lot more years (i.e. buying his UFA years) but at this QO price and give him zero trade protections? I'm just trying to think this through out loud...

We have him locked in to a long term contract.
His AAV is fairly cost controlled.
We can trade him at any time.
He can say no to it.
Worse case scenario is he goes the way of Dan Girardi but at a much cheaper AAV. I think G had like 1.5 ok seasons after he resigned before he really started falling apart from injuries.
Ryan did suffer a bad leg or knee injury in March which contributed to his playoff run
Ryan's advanced stats have to be better than Girardi's right? right?
Girardi has like 1650 blocks as a Ranger thanks to Torts coaching style
Ryan has yet to play a full 82 game season. In fact in 5 full seasons, his games played are 60, 51, 78, 63, 76
He only missed 6 games with that leg injury he had?? Perhaps like Trouba he should have spent more time off the ice.

Ok, I talked my way through it and a long term contract even at a lower AAV still scares me.

You had me totally confused for a second, because it wasn’t clear you were talking about Lindgren’s salary.

I agree a long term deal for Lindgren scares me, but I’m not sure why Lindgren would agree to anything like what you’re proposing anyway. On paper, the guy has been playing top pair minutes on a strong team for a few years now. Everyone, including him, probably knows that it’s only because of his familiarity with Fox, but it’s still likely to put him well into 2nd pair salary range. And that’s $5-6m.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Was this you? "At no point did I say I gave a damn about not getting Kakko. Please, keep him."

Because I think my reading comprehension is just fine. You don't mind the trade if it's so obviously lopsided that it's ridiculous to even propose. Wonderful for you. Once again, you are the only one in here who proposed a trade for this player, then got indignant when someone said "no."

I could expand how at the costs you suggested, there is less than no risk to Montreal. Oh wait... I already did multiple times. Take the "no," and move on 7 posts ago instead of continuing your personal attacks and accusations because no one agreed with your nonsensical proposal you made in a re-signing thread. If you care so little about acquiring a player, feel free to go make a proposal thread instead of clogging up this one about the Rangers literally keeping him.
Just noise...move on.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yep, all that you posted was "just noise." Now that we've cleared that up, the thread can now return to the discussion of a player being re-signed by a team like it was prior to your arrival. Have a great day.
You heard of the ignore button....use it...enjoy it....I know I will.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems like another case of a guy who needs a change of scenery but a team is too afraid that he will actually succeed.
Neither fans nor man̈agement want to admit that all that hope they put into a player and he won't amount to much.

We had that recently with Kotkaneimi, which at 3rd overall was a pretty significant set back. It happens. We could speculate all day that if this or that was different, maybe different results but in the end, it's mostly the player's themselves who simply don't progress.

In the case of Kakko, there may be another level still possible. But it's a risk and that is valued accordingly. For us, if he becomes a 40 point defensive forward with size, there is value in that and we currently have someone like that in Armia. Anything less and he can be replaced by cheap developing prospects.

Players like Kakko, like Kaliyev and others may be able to better fit in and/or the change brings them to another level. Or NOT.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

He’s not 25, he just turned 23 in February. Either way, I’d still expect him to be moved for a player in a comparable situation.

Would Nashville do a swap of Tomasino for Kakko? Could be a good change of scenery move for both players.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Just enough ta buy a little apartment with a decent wiev close to central park and maybe the grandparents can sleep in the kitchen when coming over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad