Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Mika Zibanejad & 2018 2nd round pick for Derick Brassard & 2018 7th rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Zibanajad is probably so relieved that he doesn't have Ryan slowing him down anymore.

Zibby never looks like he even knows who he's playing with.
Plus he's not exactly quick himself. Good top-end speed, sluggish acceleration. And not a quick thinker.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not at all actually.

Zbanejad is getting paid 3.25 this season but will need a new deal next season and will easily make at the very very least 4.5-5M.

Brassard is making 5M this season, but 3.5 for the 2 following seasons.

Over the next 3 years Ottawa will save some money, this was probably a big part of the deal.

So does Jad suck or does he deserve $5 a year as an RFA? J.T. Miller (same age as Jad) was a decent 2/3 line tweener, and signed a $2.75 contract for two years. If Jad gets almost double that, shouldn't he be a lot better? Who'd give a guy who's not a good player $5 as an RFA? Maybe as a UFA when everyone's overpaid, but then, someone like Andrew Ladd is easily a second liner, yet he only got $5.5 as a UFA. Since RFAs get a lot less than UFAs, for Jad to get $5, he'd have to be a ton better than Ladd at $5.5.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
What would 1st line numbers be? A specific amount of points? Or simply top 30 amongst Centers? Top 90 amongst Forwards?

Jad tied for 74-81 place in points among forwards, 37-39 place among centers in points. I'd say those are very good top-6 numbers. There are 60 top-6 centers in the NHL (30 teams, each with 2). Knock out the bottom 14 since they were second line centers not on playoff teams (even though a non-playoff team can have 2 quality centers or a playoff team can have 3 quality centers). That leaves 46 decent top-6 centers.

The 31-46 range are quality second line centers. Jad is smack in the middle of this range. Offensively, at least, he's right in the middle of the pack among the quality second line centers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I like this for the Rangers. Another cap strapped team helped off the ledge.

The Rangers weren't in cap trouble. Taking out Clendening who will spend most of the season in the AHL seeing as he's the #8, the Rangers have $11,350,000 left to re-sign Hayes and Kreider, neither of whom will get huge raises. They would still have several million left undr the cap with Brassard instead of Jad. Replacing Boyle and Yandle with Skjei and Holden saves the Rangers over $4.5, and now with Jad instead of Brass, the savings are $7. Grabner got exactly the same money as Stalberg, but Jooris is making almost a million less than Dominic Moore. That's 8 million in savings. Gerbe makes a couple hundred less than Stoll and the cap went up $1.6, so that adds almost $2. Altogether, the Rangers opened up close to $10 in cap space.

Miller's salary went up almost $2, Hayes will get about the same, and Kreider might get a million more. So all in all, the Rangers have a ton more room than last year, somewhere in the $6-7 range more than they had same time last year.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Jad tied for 74-81 place in points among forwards, 37-39 place among centers in points. I'd say those are very good top-6 numbers. There are 60 top-6 centers in the NHL (30 teams, each with 2). Knock out the bottom 14 since they were second line centers not on playoff teams (even though a non-playoff team can have 2 quality centers or a playoff team can have 3 quality centers). That leaves 46 decent top-6 centers.

The 31-46 range are quality second line centers. Jad is smack in the middle of this range. Offensively, at least, he's right in the middle of the pack among the quality second line centers.

Apparently that's not how it works lol.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Brass is not a first line player. He runs over garbage players, but he's not good against top opponents. When Stepan wasn't there, Brassard's numbers fell. Away from home when he did not have the last change option, Brassard's numbers fell. If you expect him to be your #1 guy, you'll have him produce terribly. He's excellent against lower opposition, better than most top-6 guys, but as much as he dominates the lesser guys, he's not great against the stars.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Beacon said:
A couple of similar trades for Nash and Zuccarello(one gets another forward, one gets another defenseman) and the rebuild is pretty much done.

Stepan, Zibaned, Kreider, Miller can play in the top-6 now. That's 4. Buchnevich probably will sooner or later. That's 5. Plus the Rangers get someone for Nash or Zuccarello. That's 6. Hayes had a sophomore slump, but there's a good chance he gets there, still let's leave him for the bottom 6: Hayes (36 points), Fast (30 points), Lindberg (28 in 68 games) can all be third liners immediately, and are young enough that they are improving. Jooris, Hrivik, the the usual couple of annual UFA signings (Grabner and Gerbe this year) fills out the bottom 6.

On Left Defense, McDonagh is on the first pair, Skjei should be at least a second pair and Graves (AHL All Star as a 20 year old rookie) at least a third pair with both having greater potential than that. On the right side, McIlrath is a quality top-6 RD already, acquire one more RD for Nash/Zuccarello and there's just one hole left, which can always be filled through free agency, especially on a team as young as this which would be well-below the cap limit.

That's not a great top 6 moving forward though. Looking at those players nobody is a game breaker. If I'm going into MSG to play them i'm not too worried. All fine players, don't get me wrong, but meh.

You are not wrong. But then, if the Rangers save money on Nash and Zuccarello trades, plus dump Girardi (someone always needs a defenseman midway through the season) and trade away Staal (he has some value), and you're dumping $23.5 in cap space. Realistically, the Rangers won't need to take more than half of that salary back, so that frees up $12-15. In addition, as of now, once Hayes and Kreider are re-signed the Rangers will have at least $5 ON TOP of the savings in trading away Nash, Zuccarello, Staal and Girardi.

That's an awful lot of cap space to sign a couple of top UFAs to make the top-6F/top-4D "shinier."

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
Zibby's consistency issues are conditioning and effort related. I can't say that brassard even early in his career had consistency issues due to lack of effort and dedication. That alone makes them vastly different and one is a mindset issue, zib just doesn't seem to care.

Zib also played with Hoffman, Ryan and Karlsson, if brassard has the same linemates all of their numbers are going to go up (maybe not EK). I don't care what anyone says, brassard didn't have that caliber of linemates and it flat out matters.

you do realise that brassard played with Zuccarello+Nash right? They're as good if not better then Hoffman+Ryan.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Zibby's consistency issues are conditioning and effort related. I can't say that brassard even early in his career had consistency issues due to lack of effort and dedication. That alone makes them vastly different and one is a mindset issue, zib just doesn't seem to care.

Zib also played with Hoffman, Ryan and Karlsson, if brassard has the same linemates all of their numbers are going to go up (maybe not EK). I don't care what anyone says, brassard didn't have that caliber of linemates and it flat out matters.

Brassard had very good linemates. People can **** talk Nash all they want, but he's better than Ryan. And Zuccarello is undoubtedly a great player. Those were his most common linemates, along with guys like Kreider and Miller, who are also good.

He's had good linemates his whole tenure in NY. Doesn't make him any lesser a player, but I'd be surprised if he surpasses 60 points. Though I do think he's a very good center for Hoffman.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I like Zibby and I'm curious to see how he does in ranger land.

This is the type of trade to look back on and see what unfolds 2-3 years from now.

Zibby has more growth to go through..

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It seems weird how Brassard's 58 points make him a terrific player with no asterisk, while Zibanejad's 51 points make him a frustratingly inconsistent guy.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
It seems weird how Brassard's 58 points make him a terrific player with no asterisk, while Zibanejad's 51 points make him a frustratingly inconsistent guy.

Because points don't tell everything about a players value? Heck that's a partial reason as to why an entire trophy was created. Heck every thread about Karlsson seems to have the theme of points not telling the whole story (not that I agree with this in the case of Karlsson but I digress). Not to mention that no one is saying Brassard is a player with no imperfections.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
Zibby's frustrating inconsistency makes him a frustratingly inconsistent guy. Not his 51 points.

Hes also 23 and brassard is just as hit and miss:handclap:. Not sure where this "Zibanjead is inconsistent, Brassard is consistent " bandwagon started but it's pretty silly. I mean hell if Brassard was "consistent" he'd have probably hit the 60 point mark more then once in his career.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Zibby's frustrating inconsistency makes him a frustratingly inconsistent guy. Not his 51 points.

Sure. But then you either get a guy back that is just as inconsistent, or has a lower skill level. Because I really don't see a great argument as to why Zibanejad's point totals are inflated relative to his skills compared to Brassard.

Because points don't tell everything about a players value? Heck that's a partial reason as to why an entire trophy was created. Heck every thread about Karlsson seems to have the theme of points not telling the whole story (not that I agree with this in the case of Karlsson but I digress). Not to mention that no one is saying Brassard is a player with no imperfections.
They don't tell everything, but they sure as hell say more than large parts of one fanbase ragging on a guy they just traded as wildly inconsistent. It's not as if there's a great deal of balanced scouting reports on the two presented.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I think this is more than just a bit exaggerated.

One of the biggest exaggerations I've ever seen.

It is Brooksie though, a guy who is literally best known for being Tortorella's *****, it's not like you'd expect him to know what he's talking about.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have to laugh at people trying to award a 'winner' on Day 1 of a trade. Both teamas got what they wanted. Ottawa added Phaneuf last year. They added Brassard to Turris. They have Ryan and Hoffman and they have good young players on the way. It's a good move for them.

The Rangers wanted to get younger and add a RH shot. Zib helps in that arena. Seems like a good trade for both clubs

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If I'm Vesey, I prefer to go to a team with Nejad than Brass. By the time Vesey adjusts to the NHL and hits his prime, Brass will be on the downturn of his career. If I'm a desired young NHL player, I want a team with a good young core about my age.

Ottawa has some stud center prospects, if anything, based on the above, he'd pick Ottawa.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Sure. But then you either get a guy back that is just as inconsistent, or has a lower skill level. Because I really don't see a great argument as to why Zibanejad's point totals are inflated relative to his skills compared to Brassard.

The problem with Zibanejad is work ethic, effort level, and an unwillingness to play even remotely physical or tough. Too many times last year games he'd finish with 1 assist and he'd be less noticeable than the backup goalie. For a forward that's supposed to be a power forward, that's not a compliment. You'll see what we mean after about a month.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I recall many times Ottawa fans saying Zibby had tremendous trade value. In comparison to Kadri, they claimed he was the much better player and his value var exceeded him.

In contrast, there is no way I would trade Kadri + 2nd, for Brassard.

Rangers win this won easily in my books. Less cap hit, younger, and the better pick.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

They don't tell everything, but they sure as hell say more than large parts of one fanbase ragging on a guy they just traded as wildly inconsistent. It's not as if there's a great deal of balanced scouting reports on the two presented.

In fairness, a lot of people were ragging on Zibanejad's inconsistent play long before this trade. Some posters have been banging the drum to trade him for well over a year now.

Personally, I think it's a big chemistry move by Pierre Dorion. Ryan is going to be here forever because that contract is not moveable. Zibanejad hasn't meshed particularly well with anyone and that includes Ryan. I think Dorion wants to get the right 50 point center for our team, not just fumble around trying to make lines that never quite work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad