Proposal: Nyr-njd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think there's any deal here that makes sense.

First off, I think Staal unfairly gets some of the Girardi treatment around here. He's not the defender he was but he also isn't the complete shell of himself that Girardi has become. He's also on a contract that is a couple years shorter as well.

That being said, Staal at his current contract isn't going anywhere and the Devils are the last team that would help out the Rangers to take that contract at full value. At half value, Staal at 3 million could still be a valuable player over the duration of his contract, but I wouldn't pay much of value for that maybe the same as the Devils pieces in the OP.

I doubt there is anything that makes sense for the Devils to acquire Staal. Then when you add the team that they would be Staal from is the Rangers, I don't see a deal ever being made.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Where is meme for New Jersey and "bad defense" coming from? They were 8th in the in league in Goals Against last season.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Yup. Better than last year.

So Lovejoy + Santini > Larsson + Schlemko?

If the young guys improve and Greene doesn't decline I'd say the defence could be on par with last year. But on paper it sure isn't better.

Group Chat Legend*

If the young guys improve and Greene doesn't decline I'd say the defence could be on par with last year. But on paper it sure isn't better.

Greene - Severson
Lovejoy - Shattenkirk
Merrill - Santini
Moore

seems good to me :v

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

The second pair is stronger than last year from a shutdown perspective. Shero has talked about trying to get Andy Greene onto the power play, so if Lovejoy and Santini can kill penalties we'll probably get more offense out of the D, as well.

Andy Greene is continually underrated on these boards. Severson has played his best hockey next to him. As did Fayne, Merrill, even Larsson.

Long term we need to upgrade it, especially once Andy Greene declines. But for now it shouldn't be that much weaker than last year.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
As of right now, the Devils defense is worse than last season. We lost arguably our best defenseman. and we lost our #4D in Schlemko.

Last year the Devils D was this:
#1 - Greene/Larsson
#3 - Moore
#4 - Schlemko
#5 - Severson
#6 - Merrill

If everything works out as planned this year, the Devils D would look like this:
#1 - Greene
#2 - Severson
#3 - Lovejoy
#4 - Moore
#5 - Santini
#6 - Merrill

But thats a lot of hope for Severson to move from the #5 to the #2.

KreiderHouseRules*

Marc Staal is still a top4 blueliner.

With a mobile defender is.

Staal with approx 1.2M retained for a 4.5M cap-hit paired with a mobile defender is definitely still a top-4 defender. His stick work, board work, and hockey IQ is still extremely high even if he doesn't provide much offense and isn't the most mobile skater; he can still make a good first pass. 3.5-4.5M on a shorter term deal is likely what he would've got on the open market this offseason.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Marc Staal --> 2017 3rd rounder + 5th rounder. Rangers need picks and Devils need better defense with Larsson now gone. Staal is a top 4 just with a bad contract. New Jersey has the space and helps both teams.

The Devils would be one of the last teams to help the Rangers out of bad players with crappy contracts. Come one why would they help a hated rival unless it was a huge help to their team. Staal is not a big help for any team. Good luck moving that contract.

Wylle

Jul 11, 2016
Everyone knows the Devils will struggle at times on D this year. They are counting on a lot of younger D-Men stepping up. Throwing Staal into the mix will only stunt their development. You need to let the young D play all year, learn from their mistakes and evaluate what you have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad