Proposal: NYR Girardi Raanta --- DRW Howard Jurco

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I don't think it can work because Detroit already has a logjam on D. So unless you're willing to do a deal around Ericsson for Girardi with some salary and value equating, I don't think there is a deal to be done.

RangerRick61

Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Howard can actually still play unlike Girardi and you also want the Wings to throw in a Jurco . :shakehead

If Howard were on the Rangers he wouldn't get much playing time behind Lindy. Girardi should likely have a bounce back season if he's played like a 4-6 dman. Overpayed yes, but I'm sure he will do better without having to face the top competition.

I'd rather pay a guy (5m +) that's going to be on the ice every night, compared to a backup goalie.

Alternatively, It would depend on Howard's buyout numbers vs Girardi's. I'm not sure what the numbers are.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Leaves NYR with almost 14M in goalies and DRW with an anchor contract

I think that is the point of the OP . NYR would rather have 14 million in goalies then have Girardi . Saves NYR an extra year on the contract length . Best bet for the NYR is to move him to a team like Arizona , but it going to cost premier assets

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unless Girardi is willing to put into writing that he will waive his NMC to be expansion draft eligible I can't see any chance Detroit trades for him unless the Rangers are tossing in a blue chip prospect as well.

there is min chance he would be selected, unless you did a deal w/LV to pick him, and if you are going there, why not make the deal to pick Ericcson?

It's not completely clear/100% certain but
there is expectation that a NTC kicks in next July 1, which should restrict the current NMC. So upon information and belief G can be traded effective that date, regardless.

However, the expansion is another thing.
Avoiding being forced to put Girardi on a list for selection is the whole point; all of this is just to see if one worthy name can be protected.

Believe it will be enough to have him waive to accept trade to Hockeytown. He may make 1x an exception to Wings, but don't see why he waives complete control of his NMC effectively voiding it.

as to another asset, I am open to a sweetener within reason, but Wings do not have room to take on salary, would have to be pick or prospect not signed.

Again, Raanta is a significant throw in

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think it can work because Detroit already has a logjam on D. So unless you're willing to do a deal around Ericsson for Girardi with some salary and value equating, I don't think there is a deal to be done.

Ericsson is worse than Girardi, but I would consider something if
a) Ericsson has no NMC
b) thus, we can 'Redden' him in advance of buyout
c) while taking on G's NMC is primary consideration, Ericsson is so bad even still, Det would have to send something to NY, which could be do-able.

My understanding is Ericsson is NTC only.

Feel free to suggest something more specific around Girardi Erricson, we can put the agreed finalist(s) in competition w/Girardi-Howard

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Howard were on the Rangers he wouldn't get much playing time behind Lindy. Girardi should likely have a bounce back season if he's played like a 4-6 dman. Overpayed yes, but I'm sure he will do better without having to face the top competition.

I'd rather pay a guy (5m +) that's going to be on the ice every night, compared to a backup goalie.

Alternatively, It would depend on Howard's buyout numbers vs Girardi's. I'm not sure what the numbers are.

I think that is the point of the OP . NYR would rather have 14 million in goalies then have Girardi . Saves NYR an extra year on the contract length . Best bet for the NYR is to move him to a team like Arizona , but it going to cost premier assets

Doubt the Rangers would want to spend that much money on a backup goalie.

The objectives for NY are
* eliminate dealing with NMC by moving it
* deal with residue that is best combo of least immediately damaging while setting up to follow through w/buyouts/trades, etc.

obviously, would have to make it worth a trading partner's while. Thus the add of Raanta.

Grossly overpaid like Girardi, but Howard could be backup for one year, and improve his game under Benoit Allaire, then moved/bought out at less toxic scale than buying out Girardi now.

Adding all that to make 14m in net is not preferable in a vacuum, but given totality of circumstances that exist, would be preferable if it leads to 2 steps backwards 5 forward later

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ericsson is worse than Girardi, but I would consider something if
a) Ericsson has no NMC
b) thus, we can 'Redden' him in advance of buyout
c) while taking on G's NMC is primary consideration, Ericsson is so bad even still, Det would have to send something to NY, which could be do-able.

My understanding is Ericsson is NTC only.

Feel free to suggest something more specific around Girardi Erricson, we can put the agreed finalist(s) in competition w/Girardi-Howard

Debatable....

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand how Girardi is more useful to Detroit than Howard is. Backup goalie is still a role that needs to be filled. Especially with a very young starting goalie.

Raanta isn't a clear upgrade on Howard, and adding Girardi (as a player) doesn't really improve Detroit as they need good dmen, not depth.

So they're getting an extra year of a terrible (arguably worse) contract that needs to be exposed in the expansion draft because ??????

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't understand how Girardi is more useful to Detroit than Howard is. Backup goalie is still a role that needs to be filled. Especially with a very young starting goalie.

Raanta isn't a clear upgrade on Howard, and adding Girardi (as a player) doesn't really improve Detroit as they need good dmen, not depth.

So they're getting an extra year of a terrible (arguably worse) contract that needs to be exposed in the expansion draft because ??????

Bermeister asked politely?:nod:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
work in progress.
Have responded to your assessment of Jurco value and removed rather than remain for cap.

Help me to make it work if there is a combo of names we can agree on.
Not easy, but let's try

The first step is not including Girardi, and then I'm sure Detroit would work from there..

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Girardi isn't going anywhere with his contract and recent play. The best NYR can hope for is for AV to get his head out of his ass and stop the madness of strict man on man defense. I didn't see a single team, that got past the 1st rd, using that defensive system with good reason.

Girardi is a good defensive defenseman... tough, durable and positionally sound when he isn't being asked to chase a forward all around the defensive zone. With all the talk of Girardi and Staal falling off a cliff, it's the terrible coaching system that is the real culprit.

Everybody ends up out of position in the defensive zone... they'll end up with Girardi chasing a guy by the blue line and Zucc batting someone in front of Lundqvist. Then, if they actually get control of the puck, there is zero structure for a breakout because everyone is out of position by then. It's moronic.

I agree DG and MS are overpaid, but they wouldn't be the laughing stock of the league if the coach was able to see the players he has and adapt his system.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There's always a run on defensemen. Larsson for Hall was a perfect example of GMs valuing defense over forwards. Larsson is obviously better than Girardi, but the Rangers won't be asking for Taylor Hall either.

As soon as injuries hit, someone will take Girardi. It may be Girardi for a minor leaguer on a one-way contract to help them afford it better if Girardi does not recover. If he goes back to first pair form, the Rangers will get significant return. Either way, he'll be movable when 10-12 teams are all scrambling to get a defenseman. Howard will never be movable. Girardi could become good or at least solid again. Howard never will because he'll never beat out Lundqvist even if he improves.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
$5.5AAV for a terrible D who might or might not beat out Ericsson, but is still probably one of the worst Dmen in the NHL, and has one more year beyond Howard's contract, and has to be protected in the expansion draft? Yeah, as a Detroit fan, I can't wait to take that worthless contract/player on. :rolleyes:

No part of any of this does anything for Detroit in any way, shape or form. Please keep your trash D, and we'll work on moving Howard with retention next season.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Just awful

So much of this proposal is one sided to unload the burden of Girardi to NYR

Is Howards contract bad right now? Yes. Immovable? Likely not, just might need to wait a year

Problem is the offer here is to take a bad contract off Detroits hands in exchange for maybe the worst contract in the NHL (take your pick of Girardi or Dustin Brown).

Not to mention Girardi is just an awful fit for DET.

Detroit has been vocal about needing a top pair dman, which Girardi is far removed from now and is not even top 4 in a puck moving system. The NHL is moving away from stay at home old school dmen who cant move the puck. Hell, half of the detroit fanbase want to desperately get rid of Ericsson for the same reasons Girardi doesnt fit

Also, asking Detroit to throw in Jurco who is a solid bottom 6er on the rise just because Raanta is thrown in really doesnt make sense. Backup goalies are a dime a dozen and while Raanta is a solid backup, hes still a backup nonetheless. Trading an every day solid bottom 6er in Jurco for a guy who might only play 30 games just doesnt make logistical sense, especially since Detroit has Coreau in Grand Rapids ready to be a full time backup in the NHL if they move Howard. They do not need a backup replacement if Howard is moved

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
There's always a run on defensemen. Larsson for Hall was a perfect example of GMs valuing defense over forwards. Larsson is obviously better than Girardi, but the Rangers won't be asking for Taylor Hall either.

As soon as injuries hit, someone will take Girardi. It may be Girardi for a minor leaguer on a one-way contract to help them afford it better if Girardi does not recover. If he goes back to first pair form, the Rangers will get significant return. Either way, he'll be movable when 10-12 teams are all scrambling to get a defenseman. Howard will never be movable. Girardi could become good or at least solid again. Howard never will because he'll never beat out Lundqvist even if he improves.

He's not movable because of his NMC. No team is going to stick themselves with having to protect Girardi and let another defensemen be exposed instead.

and lol at even mentioning Girardi and first pair in the same paragraph

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He's not movable because of his NMC. No team is going to stick themselves with having to protect Girardi and let another defensemen be exposed instead.

and lol at even mentioning Girardi and first pair in the same paragraph

The only place in the league Girardi would play first pair minutes and deployment is Columbus

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's the problem with this trade -- and you hit on it in your initial justification.

Obviously, NYR doesn't want Howard -- they're not going to spend close to $14m in goal, and even if they did, it wouldn't be for very long. So, somehow the Rangers are going to have to find a way to move him.

So, from the Wings perspective, there's only 2 elements at play -- between Howard and Girardi, who would you rather have until you can find somewhere to trade them? and who is easier to trade?

To me, the answer for Detroit is clearly Howard, so there's really no deal to be made here.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
If we had amnesty buyouts which only cost $, then I would agree with you.
Buyouts are staggered. You still have to get a hit on most of the cap $..
That means you HAVE to carry Howard.
you are not using Howard.
I'm giving you Girardi, who may be useful in some capacity as opposed to Howard, who is not, at least not to Det.
More importantly, I am giving you Raanta, very cheap.

I know how buyouts work but it still doesn't solve the issue I bought up. Howard helps take some of the load off Mrazek and you can ride whichever goalie is hot so if that is your definition of "carry." I'm not sure if Girardi would be useful in any capacity and is on a worse deal than Howard..... Anyway you sugar coat this proposal it's bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad