Speculation: NYR & DET working on Jacob Trouba trade (Brooks)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I can envision Petry retiring. I'm sure he'll get a job in the org.

Local and all.
If he’s bought out? Absolutely. I don’t think he’d play anywhere else at this point. In fact I know he wouldn’t. He’s not expensive though, so maybe he stays. I just think it’s kind of the respectful thing to do, rather than scratch him for 50 games. Maybe he and Yzerman have that conversation.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Good I’d rather just go get Roy instead
Roy has a lot of options on where to go, and they can all offer him equivalent or better contracts and more chance of actually doing something in the next decade.

Does anyone have any D hitting free agency who would be out of the NHL if no one gave them a contract? I'm sure Yzerman will offer them a 4 million dollar deal.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Bit weird to get into this but his wife fully entrenched in her career as a doctor? I remember when he came to NY originally she was still working her way through med school but I didn't keep up with that part of Trouba's story because I assume the contract wouldn't be this big of a deal and he'd see it through lol

Articles dating back to 2022 and 2023 had her in her residency already.

I was reading another poster on the Rangers board saying her residency concludes at some point in 2025.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Articles dating back to 2022 and 2023 had her in her residency already.

I was reading another poster on the Rangers board saying her residency concludes at some point in 2025.

Makes sense, would be tough for anyone to be away from their partner for another year no matter how close Detroit/NYC are by plane.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If it comes down to that, she might even be able to transfer to a different residency. It might be an aggravating, time-consuming process, but it's possible,
UM Medicine is decently respected, but none of the hospitals in Detroit are as respected as the NY system. That would be a huge downgrade for his wife.

If I was a doctor in residency and my spouse asked me to transfer from a NY residency to Corewell, Henry Ford, Ascension, or (lol) DMC, there would be some crockery thrown.

Edit: Lenox Hill is ranked #40 or better in at least 7 specialties.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
UM Medicine is decently respected, but none of the hospitals in Detroit are as respected as the NY system. That would be a huge downgrade for his wife.

If I was a doctor in residency and my spouse asked me to transfer from a NY residency to Corewell, Henry Ford, Ascension, or (lol) DMC, there would be some crockery thrown.

Edit: Lenox Hill is ranked #40 or better in at least 7 specialties.
She's in Internal Medicine. Where would be a good destination for them, outside of NY? Not super familiar with the US medical system. Probably a safe assumption that they want to stay far away from Canada.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
She's in Internal Medicine. Where would be a good destination for them, outside of NY? Not super familiar with the US medical system. Probably a safe assumption that they want to stay far away from Canada.
Transferring residencies is hard, if not impossible. Residencies are generally assigned based on a combination of USMLE test scores and med school performance. It's not like getting a job.

I'm sure the local NHL team could grease the wheels a bit, but it's almost certain that she wouldn't be able to transfer into a better or even comparable position.

Reactions: ameselare

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Transferring residencies is hard, if not impossible. Residencies are generally assigned based on a combination of USMLE test scores and med school performance. It's not like getting a job.

I'm sure the local NHL team could grease the wheels a bit, but it's almost certain that she wouldn't be able to transfer into a better or even comparable position.
I see, thanks for explaining. I can understand why he's so upset. One of the few guys in the league whose wife has an actual job/career and this is happening to him. On the plus side it's only one year, but still not ideal, especially if she envisioned herself practicing medicine in NY long-term.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
lol

2 years of Trouba @ 5.6 doesn't cost the Rangers a 1st to move.....it would be closer to costing DET a 1st (keyword closer)
Yzerman was just quoted as saying ‘it’s nearly impossible to move salary in the market right now. Believe me I tried everything.’

Doesn’t sound like a guy who is about to have a bed contract dumped on him for free.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Yzerman was just quoted as saying it’s nearly impossible to move salary in the market right now. Believe me I tried everything.

Doesn’t sound like a guy who is about to have a bed contract dumped on him for free.
I guess nobody wants Holl. Avs have also been trying to move Colton, to no avail. Need to overpay with picks if you want to get out of troublesome contracts.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Guys, fact of the matter is, he’s a professional athlete. No contract is gospel. Being away from a spouse happens all of the time.

It looks like he’s on his way out of NY. We can speculate why this deal isn’t done yet, but there could be a variety of reasons, and it’s very unlikely Trouba is blocking a deal to Detroit. Look how long it took for Debrincat last year, after Ottawa kept trying to get a better deal from Detroit.

Detroit is the party who holds all the leverage here. It’s a good bet, they’re the ones holding things up, as they ask for all kinds of things to be in the deal. For all we know, they’re asking for Kakko to be included AND retention. Or they want retention and Holl going the other way.

If the Rangers want the money to use for Monday, the betting odds are, Detroit is the one trying to bend the Rangers over before then. Not Trouba.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yzerman was just quoted as saying it’s nearly impossible to move salary in the market right now. Believe me I tried everything.

2 years @ 5.6 isn't a "bad contract" for him. He'd have positive value and interest from a lot of teams @ that number. Not saying he'll return a 1st, but no way in hell do the Rangers give one up. Insane suggestion frankly....

I guess nobody wants Holl. Avs have also been trying to move Colton, to no avail. Need to overpay with picks if you want to get out of troublesome contracts.

Holl is definitely a cap dump that no one wants to take on without sweetener. Colton is not a cap dump, Colorado just needs the right deal/player coming back for him.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Holl is definitely a cap dump that no one wants to take on without sweetener. Colton is not a cap dump, Colorado would need positive value and the right player coming back for him.
The trouble with Colton is that the Avs still need a 3C if he goes, just not at $4M. He's a fine player, but the cap hit is causing the problem for them. But their cap issues are severe while they're stuck in this Landeskog-Nichushkin holding pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad