Proposal: Nyr-dal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NYR gets:

Julius Honka
Valeri Nichushkin

DAL gets:

Mats Zuccarello
Kevin Klein (50% retained)

We get a much needed young PMD, and Nichushkin could also be a good add. He knows Buchnevich, can help him adjust to NA, and maybe he can turn around his NHL career somewhere else.

You guys get a much needed scoring winger, one who probably would fit well on your top line with Seguin and Benn. You also get a solid veteran defenseman at 50%. His contract is good without even any retention from the Rangers, but given how you guys are adding most of the salary in this deal, we could retain half of Klein's contract to make the salary part of this trade easier for you guys.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
NYR gets:

Julius Honka
Valeri Nichushkin

DAL gets:

Mats Zuccarello

We get a much needed young PMD, and Nichushkin could also be a good add. He knows Buchnevich, can help him adjust to NA, and maybe he can turn around his NHL career somewhere else.

You guys get a much needed scoring winger, one who probably would fit well on your top line with Seguin and Benn. You also get a solid veteran defenseman at 50%. His contract is good without even any retention from the Rangers, but given how you guys are adding most of the salary in this deal, we could retain half of Klein's contract to make the salary part of this trade easier for you guys.

Good god not. We are not trading our 2 most valuable pieces for more offense and a Dman would would be second pairing.

This makes our D marginal better and doesn't fix our goalies. No thank you

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also Rangers shouldn't be looking to add Nishuskin when they already have wingers coming out of their gills. Especially with how much of a gamble he is at this point.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
"much needed scoring winger"

Benn, Sharp, Hudler, Hemsky, Janmark ??????

That isn't to say Zuccarello wouldn't make any team he hypothetically goes to even more dangerous, but saying that the Stars need scoring wingers seems like a flat out incorrect statement, no?

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Terrible for the Rangers. Lose their best forward for a bust and a prospect. Makes no sense. Zucc could get shattenkirk.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zuccarello is the last guy the Rangers should be looking to trade. Legit 1st line winger on a steal of a contract with multiple years left right in the prime of his career. No way I trade him alone for that, nevermind add Klein.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"much needed scoring winger"

Benn, Sharp, Hudler, Hemsky, Janmark ??????

That isn't to say Zuccarello wouldn't make any team he hypothetically goes to even more dangerous, but saying that the Stars need scoring wingers seems like a flat out incorrect statement, no?

Besides the first three, your depth isn't very good. Hemsky hasn't scored more than low 40's in points in almost 8 years, including less than 40 the last two years, and he's pretty old. Janmark didn't even produce like a top 9 offensive player last season. You guys could use another winger. Not saying you need to take the trade, but when I consider your team needs, I think a top 6 winger is one of them, and Zucc's a first line winger.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I understand the Rangers have 97 forwards but there's nothing they've acquired to make Zuccarello even remotely expendable.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Besides the first three, your depth isn't very good. Hemsky hasn't scored more than low 40's in points in almost 8 years, including less than 40 the last two years, and he's pretty old. Janmark didn't even produce like a top 9 offensive player last season. You guys could use another winger. Not saying you need to take the trade, but when I consider your team needs, I think a top 6 winger is one of them, and Zucc's a first line winger.

Adding another top six winger would be nice, but it is not a big need. Dallas led the league in scoring and did not lose any of their forward offense through free agency. If anything, adding Hudler is an indication that they will most likely lead the league in scoring again. Also, last season was Janmark's rookie season and he produced exactly how I thought he'd produce.

In regards to Honka, I view him as the guy that will replace Goligoski's offense on the backend. I doubt he gets traded. I can't even see Nill trading him for Bishop, to be honest.

Benn-Seguin-Sharp
Hudler-Spezza-xxx
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
xxx-Eakin-Eaves

Nuke (if he gets resigned), Ritchie, Janmark, etc. will probably be rotating. I still have no idea why Nuke is being labelled a bust right now. He had a sophomore slump in his second NHL season after losing a whole year of development to major injury. He almost matched his rookie point totals while playing some of his worst hockey and playing less frequently with Seguin and Benn.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

The scale of how wrong you are is just breathtaking.

A rookie who wasn't expected to make the team gets 29 points in 73 games, but you don't consider that a top 9 offensive player? You're grading on some curve here, and that is the most reasonable thing you say.

"Besides the first three, your depth isn't very good" is absolutely bananas. Just on it's face, that statement is a tremendous piece of nonsense. Of course no team has depth at a position if you take away the top 3 players there, but I think you shot the moon here. This may be the only construction of "Besides your first three x, your depth at x isn't very good" that isn't true. In terms of forward points, we have #2, #12, #25, and #57 and Hudler comes in at 100. There are 90 1st line forwards in the NHL, which puts Hudler way at the top of the 2nd liners and he is joined by Hemsky at 137. Who cares if he doesn't get out of the low 40s, he plays on the 3rd line and outscores about 1/2 of the 2nd line forwards in the NHL. 48 points is the line between 90 and 91, the cutoff for a 2nd line forward is at 34 points, and for a 3rd liner it is 18 points. The Stars had 6 forwards in the top 180 scorers last year plus 5 who would be considered 3rd liners by production and Patrick Eaves who missed by 1 point. Plus they added Hudler, who despite a bad year accounted for all the production we lose from Scevior and Fiddler by himself.

And you think we need a scoring winger. It's not even worth saying the cap doesn't work and we won't trade Honka and we should probably focus on adding a forward who does things besides scoring; all these things are totally eclipsed by your argument.

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
No way Zuc goes at the moment. Nichushkin is a gamble while Zuc is proven to be a top forward.

These Dallas / NYR deals get shut down quick. Let's see what Gorton does with the stockpile of players he has acquired. A deal is most likely to be made somewhere before the start of the season but remains unknown of what it'll be.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR gets:

Julius Honka
Valeri Nichushkin

DAL gets:

Mats Zuccarello

Good god not. We are not trading our 2 most valuable pieces for more offense and a Dman would would be second pairing.

This makes our D marginal better and doesn't fix our goalies. No thank you

OP meant well, but THIS is the deal

1. {In my scenario} Klein not here, got sent to Edmonton with Lindberg + Fast for EDM 2018 1st, Yakimov, and cap dump + reasonable prospect, so they are off the table.

2. deal is:
Zuc, Raanta, Halverson, RD prospect Calle Andersson, F Daniel Bernhardt
for
Gurianov, Honka, cap dump Hemsky extra body/cap dump if nec

Nichushkin is off the table here.
IF both sides want to do a deal, it is acceptable assets as a base, and conditional add based on results.
Not interested now unless discounted due to his recovery from hip operation

why dallas
Zuc is legit top 6 versatile W either side, upgrade on expiring Hemksy. Gurianov may be kreider lite down the road, but even if near term on that, Zuc is immediate add and is positive contract for another 3 years.

More immediately important, Raanta is upgrade, can start if nec. as he has for NY when Hank was out. 2 years, 1m only each, sweetheart price for what he brings

THEN Halverson, who is possibly our best G prospect, 1-2 years away. Covers Stars ongoing needs.

Swedish Andersson not certain, but projects well and is also near term 1-2 years at most. Believed not all star potential but if/when he gets to the next level, solid, esp on fundamentals.

Bernhardt is a crap shoot. Has most of the tools, needs to upgrade his skating.

-----------

NYR get 2 guys on ELCs do not require expansion draft protection.
There is an upgrade on Bernhardt at cost of Zuc, but NY has enuf Fs.
Honka fits RD Ranger needs, upgrade on Andersson, at cost of Gs.

consider value fair, only ? is will Dallas admit need to upgrade in net?
If yes, then improved in net and at F with min impact on starting backline.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zuccarello is the last guy the Rangers should be looking to trade. Legit 1st line winger on a steal of a contract with multiple years left right in the prime of his career. No way I trade him alone for that, nevermind add Klein.

Zuccarello can bring back a very solid return just like Brassard did. The Rangers are a team in transition looking at getting younger.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
NYR gets:

Julius Honka
Valeri Nichushkin

DAL gets:

Mats Zuccarello

That just isnt true

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Adding another top six winger would be nice, but it is not a big need. Dallas led the league in scoring and did not lose any of their forward offense through free agency. If anything, adding Hudler is an indication that they will most likely lead the league in scoring again. Also, last season was Janmark's rookie season and he produced exactly how I thought he'd produce.

In regards to Honka, I view him as the guy that will replace Goligoski's offense on the backend. I doubt he gets traded. I can't even see Nill trading him for Bishop, to be honest.

Benn-Seguin-Sharp
Hudler-Spezza-xxx
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
xxx-Eakin-Eaves

Nuke (if he gets resigned), Ritchie, Janmark, etc. will probably be rotating. I still have no idea why Nuke is being labelled a bust right now. He had a sophomore slump in his second NHL season after losing a whole year of development to major injury. He almost matched his rookie point totals while playing some of his worst hockey and playing less frequently with Seguin and Benn.

People are labeling him as a bust because he hasn't reached his full potential after 2 years of hockey. Kid has tons of time, and seeing how he produced 5V5, once he gets some PP time his numbers will look more like what people expect

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This isn't the package I would trade him for. Two completely unproven players for a 60+ point winger.
I understand the Rangers have 97 forwards but there's nothing they've acquired to make Zuccarello even remotely expendable.

Zuccarello AND Klein.

Zuccarello can bring back a very solid return just like Brassard did. The Rangers are a team in transition looking at getting younger.

Sure. But adding Klein to this package and this is far from a solid return. You are gambling. Gambling that Nuke will ever reach his potential and if he does, best case scenario (which isn't likely), he replaces Zucc's production in a few years. Honka, although has a lot of potential, has zero NHL experience.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not sure what this does for Dallas or the Rangers.

Nothing. We give up a 1st line player on a sweetheart of a contract and Dallas gives up a good amount and gets no needs fixed.

Thought for a second yesterday that I might be for this trade when someone proposed it on our board but it seems as asinine now as it did when I first saw it. Nuke will likely never replace Zuccarellos production and to give up a top 4 dman and a 1st line winger for... yeah. Dallas needs McDonagh more than Klein.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This isn't the package I would trade him for. Two completely unproven players for a 60+ point winger.

Zuccarello AND Klein.

Sure. But adding Klein to this package and this is far from a solid return. You are gambling. Gambling that Nuke will ever reach his potential and if he does, best case scenario (which isn't likely), he replaces Zucc's production in a few years. Honka, although has a lot of potential, has zero NHL experience.

The Rangers have other players who can replace Zuccarello's production if the Russian fails to live up to his potential. If he does reach his potential, the Rangers will be a better team. Honka is what the Rangers sorely lack. The Rangers would swap Zuccarello for Vatanen or Barrie. The Rangers were supposedly interested in both of them in 13-14. The Rangers would be a much better team right now if they had acquired either player. Honka is the prize. Gamble? The Rangers are used to gambling on players with concussion issues,bad guys,older fossils,etc. The Rangers are putting a lot of stock into Buchnevich and Vesey to be contributors this season. They have zero pro hockey experience. Sometimes you need a little conviction and big balls in making a trade.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Only deal that makes sense for both sides is if the Rangers decided to do a rebuild and offered up Hank at 50% retained, along with Klein, for something like Honka, Nuke, another D prospect, and two 1sts. Enjoy your Cup, Dallas, and we're on our merry way with a nice rebuild starter kit. Everybody wins.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The Rangers have other players who can replace Zuccarello's production if the Russian fails to live up to his potential. If he does reach his potential, the Rangers will be a better team. Honka is what the Rangers sorely lack. The Rangers would swap Zuccarello for Vatanen or Barrie. The Rangers were supposedly interested in both of them in 13-14. The Rangers would be a much better team right now if they had acquired either player. Honka is the prize. Gamble? The Rangers are used to gambling on players with concussion issues,bad guys,older fossils,etc. The Rangers are putting a lot of stock into Buchnevich and Vesey to be contributors this season. They have zero pro hockey experience. Sometimes you need a little conviction and big balls in making a trade.

Those gambles cost money. Not actual assets.

As much of a prize as Honka may be, I am just not sure if he is worth giving up a 1st line winger signed to a great contract. I don't even really think my issue is with trading Zucc for Honka +. It is that I am not sold on Nuke ever really living up to expectations and to me the base of the trade looks like Honka for Zuccarello because I don't see much value in Nuke.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad