Proposal: NYR - COL off season Blockbuster

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Rantanen is worth the money but having him and no goalie isn't exactly a recipe for success. We have limited cap space. We can't afford to pay Rantanen what he wants, sign a decent goalie, and fill out the rest of the roster.
As many people who are justifying not paying Igor what he wants say , a team can win the cup with an average goalie if they are loaded in other positions

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Any talk or concern yet about him not signing and testing UFA? Do you ride him for the year and lose him for nothing or trade at the deadline for a decent ransom and go without him into the playoffs?

That is likely how I see the Avs acquiring him in fantasy world.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Panarin and Rantanen are 100+ point scoring wingers, they’re worth every penny

Laf ? I wouldn’t pay him $8m+
Rantanen is a great player and worth the money, just not a fit for a team with bad center depth especially at the expense of a world class goalie. Laf is worth 7-8 and looks to be increasing in value this season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nah they are missing Kadri & Burakovsky in that case on forward and Byram at Defense

Drouin isnt better than either of those 2 guys

Landeskog wont be as good as 2022 version of himself if he comes back

Lehkonen is as good/better than then

Nichushkin is unreliable and a huge risk every playoff game at the moment

The 2022 Avs was probably the deepest and best team in the NHL of the cap era
Burakovsky was healthy scratch at times during 22 playoffs, although he did produce when he was in the lineup. Drouin can more or less replace that. I’d give you Kadri though. Mittelstadt seems to be coming along nicely as the Avs 2C, but Kadri did bring that grit and playoff style hockey.

Defense was deeper with Byram and EJ, no doubt. I was mainly referring to forward depth when I said Avs will be as deep as they were in 22 when they get everyone back.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No point in NYR trading Shesterkin to get a UFA back.
1. No guarantee we can sign him.
2. He's going to get paid just like Shesterkin and we won't have money for any decent goalie.

Doesn't really work.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We're talking about players that would essentially have zero value here... Don't think it really matters if the value is "fair" or not. Both guys would be worth like a 4th round pick at this point of discussion.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well, clearly, this implies both players and teams would have interest in re-signing

Literally doesn't change anything. They're pending UFAs free to sign with any team they want in a matter of days/weeks.

Those players carry next to zero value no matter how good they are at that point.

Unless you're expecting us to ignore the off-season part and assume a trade during the season. Which simply isn't going to happen on either side.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Value is good but why would the rangers trade their top5 in the league franchise goalie? I know his contract demands are outrageous but I suspect they will come down. If he wants to stay in NY and be well compensated while being a contender. If he just cares about the money then he’ll go to the highest bidder who is likely not a great team because most playoff/competitive teams won’t be able to afford him.

I think in the end he stays with the rangers. The other recent goalie contracts are showing the goalie market for what it is. Yes, Igor is the best one but they offered him a more than fair and respectable $11M AAV long term deal that made him the highest paid goalie in the league. Can’t do much better than that.

One interesting scenario is TOR. Leafs have Tavares contract coming off the books and could move out money on top of that and offer Igor a big deal. They’d be a way more complete team if they say

Trade Marner + don’t bring back Tavares or sign him for dirt cheap + add Igor.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As many people who are justifying not paying Igor what he wants say , a team can win the cup with an average goalie if they are loaded in other positions
This is true but it’s rare. In most cases the Stanley cup winning goalies have played great or really well in the playoffs.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Both teams say no. The Avs are a great team that can win with mid goaltending, especially considering how well they've done with the boat anchor that is Georgiev.

Meanwhile the Rags are a bunch of overpaid divas that only go as far as their goalie takes them. Swapping that goalie out for another expensive forward makes them a much worse team

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Panarin and Rantanen are 100+ point scoring wingers, they’re worth every penny

Laf ? I wouldn’t pay him $8m+

Bro, your ignorance and vandetta against Laf because you want Panarin to get all the glory is transparent.

Both teams say no. The Avs are a great team that can win with mid goaltending, especially considering how well they've done with the boat anchor that is Georgiev.

Meanwhile the Rags are a bunch of overpaid divas that only go as far as their goalie takes them. Swapping that goalie out for another expensive forward makes them a much worse team

Leafs fan calling any other team overpaid divas is hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad