Proposal: NYR - COL off season Blockbuster

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This is purely hypothetical and mostly for fun but…

:avs
To Colorado
Igor Shesterkin

:rangers
To New York
Mikko Rantanen

Both are around same age and upcoming UFAs. If somehow their clubs can’t agree with them on the new contracts terms, the Avs solve their goalie problem once and for all while Nichushkin and Landeskog return will make Rantanen departure less painful and the Rangers solidify their top 6 with a proven play off warrior.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Value wise it is good, maybe a slight win for the Avs. The problem is I don't think the Avs front office will ever want to pay 8+ million for a goaler.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
As an Avs fan, no…

Shesterkin is a great goalie, but Avs don’t really need a great, elite goalie to win as they proved it in 22, so giving up Mikko for Shesterkin and signing him to 11 or 12 mill contract won’t make sense for them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
As an Avs fan, no…

Shesterkin is a great goalie, but Avs don’t really need a great, elite goalie to win as they proved it in 22, so giving up Mikko for Shesterkin and signing him to 11 or 12 mill contract won’t make sense for them.
Avs are far removed from the depth they had in 22.

That’s a one a generation squad they put together for that year

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs are far removed from the depth they had in 22.

That’s a one a generation squad they put together for that year
When they get Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Drouin, Landeskog back, they’ll be as deep as they were in 22. That’s a lot of talent missing from the lineup right now

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If it's clear Mikko doesn't want to re-sign, then I'm all for it. The savings from signing Shesterkin (10-11m) instead of Mikko (12-13m) could be used to re-sign Drouin. Avs top6 would still be:

Drouin - Mackinnon - Lehkonen
Landeskog - Mittlestadt - Nichushkin

And that top 6 would only have to score 2-3 goals a game instead of 5 like they do now.

But that's if Landeskog is healthy enough to play top6 and that Nuke is on the roster.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It depends on the Nichushkin situation. If he manages to stay sober this playoffs i'd make this deal, but if he can't we need Rants.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Last thing the Rangers need is another expensive LW.

He’s a RW
Doesn't really matter. I'm sure he can play either side.

The real issue is that he'll want even more money than Shesty. We're going to pay him 12+ mil, pay Panarin 11.6 mil, and pay Laf 8+ mil? That's ton of money to spend on wingers.

The cap is already going to be tight, and now we'd be without a goalie. Value aside, it doesn't work for the Rangers.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The value isn’t terrible, but the Rangers would be moving on from Igor because they don’t want to spend $12m, for one one roster spot, especially for a goaltender and Rantanen is going to require that amount if not more.

I doubt Colorado wants to pay a goalie $12m as well. However, Nichushkin can’t be relied on right now and Landeskog might never be the same player after all of this.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It’s an intriguing proposal and it would be fun to have a top-6 with Kreider, Rantanen, Panarin, Trocheck, and Lafreniere. I just don’t think the rangers would be comfortable trading their security blanket in Shesterkin. Plus their top prospect is a RW. Really what we need is an upgrade on Zibanejad but that isn’t happening lol.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
value is close but not preferred currency for Rs

@GAGLine post 11 made some astute pts

smart play for NY is to make a deal that extends the window, not goes for max this yr

Shesty should be traded now to highest bidder
possibly WC club
possibly Leafs

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
When they get Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Drouin, Landeskog back, they’ll be as deep as they were in 22. That’s a lot of talent missing from the lineup right now
Nah they are missing Kadri & Burakovsky in that case on forward and Byram at Defense

Drouin isnt better than either of those 2 guys

Landeskog wont be as good as 2022 version of himself if he comes back

Lehkonen is as good/better than then

Nichushkin is unreliable and a huge risk every playoff game at the moment

The 2022 Avs was probably the deepest and best team in the NHL of the cap era

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Nah they are missing Kadri & Burakovsky in that case on forward and Byram at Defense

Drouin isnt better than either of those 2 guys

Landeskog wont be as good as 2022 version of himself if he comes back

Lehkonen is as good/better than then

Nichushkin is unreliable and a huge risk every playoff game at the moment

The 2022 Avs was probably the deepest and best team in the NHL of the cap era
I agree in general about 2022, but assuming (big assumption) health and sober, the team is very similar.

Mittlestadt = Kadri and Drouin = Burakovsky is the hope obviously and I agree both arent there yet, but the hope Mittlestadt gets some talent to work with in Landeskog and Nichushkin soon and production skyrockets. MacKinnon and Rantanen have shown to make a traffic cone score goals so Drouin will be fine there.

I loved Byram so yes that is the main weakness in being able to roll 3 really good D lines plus Jack Johnson.

The rest is pretty similar outside of the obvious goaltending woes right now.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittlestadt - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko
Kiviranta - Ivan - O'Connor

Lehkonen being mister jump in for whoever is hurt

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
De Haan - Malinski

Crap

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Panarin and Rantanen are 100+ point scoring wingers, they’re worth every penny

Laf ? I wouldn’t pay him $8m+
Rantanen is worth the money but having him and no goalie isn't exactly a recipe for success. We have limited cap space. We can't afford to pay Rantanen what he wants, sign a decent goalie, and fill out the rest of the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad