Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Chris Kreider (4 years $4.625M AAV)

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Loving the Victor Rask deal more and more every day! :yo::yo::yo:

If he can build on that last season, it could be a great deal with that term.

Really happy with this deal for Kreider. I was afraid it was going to get into the 5.5 range or end up in arbitration with the 1 year deal. 4 years is nice term and the money seems to be right in line with others in his production range. Now we(NYR fans) hope that he can take another step, as he enters into his early prime years, and make this contract a discount.

I'd really like to see him switched to RW with his left hand shot. He played a (very)few games on the right towards the back end of the regular season and I think he speed is more effective when he's cutting to the center of the ice on his forehand in the O zone.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
At that price I think he would also be tradable. I think it's resonable and with his size and skill abilities a valuable team asset.

If he never becomes more than just a 20 goal, 45ish pt winger, then at worst he is just slightly overpaid (by $500k or so?)

If he pushed more at 25 goals and 55 pts from the wing, then this is a pretty good value contract.

As is the contract is about right IMO. Not great, not bad. If he slips its not egregious but the potential for value is there and Im sure NYR are still expecting him to take another step

The problem with comparing Kreider to guys like Johanssons deal, Rasks deal, and Schenns upcoming deal is that they are all natural centers and slide between both center and wing so their deals hold more value IMO

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
At the moment, Kreider is a consistent 20-20 guy with elite size, speed, and strength. He's a fantastic possession player that's still growing his game but has maddening consistency issues. He's also had a knack for scoring really clutch goals in the playoffs.

This is a really good deal for both parties. It allows him to cash on one more big contract at 29.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Maybe just a little more than what I was expecting but I'm happy the deal is done at least. .3 million is negligible compared to our other contracts.

See ya July 1st, Shatterkink.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
He'll get a bridge deal.

Yeah he should be right in line with JT Miller in that 2 year 2.5-2.75M area. I personally value JT higher because of his hustle and "bigger" style of play, even though Hayes is the bigger human. So, I'm hoping for 2.5 or less but won't be upset if he gets JT's exact deal.

buttman*

IMO, you shouldn't compare the "ask" for a 1 year vs. a 4 year contract when 2 of the 4 years the player is UFA eligible.

Arb isn't always one year and can be 2. Still close to his ask and way more than the Rangers offer.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Perfectly in line with the production scale of 1 pt=$100,000

He is getting paid to be a 46 point guy....and has paced for 45.92 pts over the last 3 years over 82 games.

Schenn having a breakout year of 59 points means of course he is getting much more.

Yup Schenn should get more than $5M per easily. 59pts,

These might be interesting.
Gaudreau 78pts, Monahan 63pts, Kucherov 66pts (but has the killer playoff points that are MVP/conn smythe worthy)

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Love the deal...I was expecting 4 years $5 mil per year. This is a low-risk deal for the Rangers...if he plateaus and stays as a 20/20 guy, this is a solid deal. If he ever eclipses the 30-goal, 50-point mark then this is a great contract. Good job Gorts.

This is a great deal because it locks him up for most of his prime years. Next UFA contract at 29yrs almost makes it mandatory to trade him in yr 3 or even 4 for a maximum return.

You wouldn't really want to sign a long term deal with the guy at 29 unless he blossoms into something extraordinary. I'm not sure I see him as a 30/30 so moving him shouldn't be a big deal to the Rangers.

If Gorton can move one of Staal or Girardi, who likely will be bought out after next season, or even Nash, but that really isn't necessary now.....he will have had a very good offseason.

The rangers sit somewhere around 6.5m in cap space with only RFA Hayes left to sign. I think they try for a long term deal with him rather than the standard bridge deal. He has 3(I think) RFA years left.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yeah he should be right in line with JT Miller in that 2 year 2.5-2.75M area. I personally value JT higher because of his hustle and "bigger" style of play, even though Hayes is the bigger human. So, I'm hoping for 2.5 or less but won't be upset if he gets JT's exact deal.

But he is also a center with 3 RFA years of eligibility, I think the Rangers forget the bridge deal and lock him up to 4+ for 5+ yrs.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Arb isn't always one year and can be 2. Still close to his ask and way more than the Rangers offer.

Of course it is. The Rangers bought 2 UFA years. Each year added raises the AAV.

Basically, Kreider asked for 5.25 for 1 year. The Rangers get the choose the arbitration term in this case since Kreider elected arbitration, and there was no way the Rangers would select a term of 2 years. He ended up getting 4.625 per year on a 4 year deal. That's significantly lower than his asking price when you consider the added term.

Those arbitration numbers aren't real anyway. The player always asks for something higher than they expect to get and the team always offers something lower than they expect to pay.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I wouldn't say ''great'' deal, but fair deal for sure, which is good on its own.

Good player, fair contract.. congrats NYR's fans!

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Loving the Victor Rask deal more and more every day! :yo::yo::yo:

1. What does his deal have to do with Kreider's?

2. That's great, we like this deal for Kreider just as much. Let's drink to that.

The savings on Rask aren't high at all considering he skipped the bridge deal guys like Schenn and Kreider got.

I was gonna say the same thing. He got an awfully high AAV for someone who only had one good year, but they bought out RFA years in the process, so honestly, it's a wash.

If he keeps progressing, they'll have to give him big numbers once that deal is done. So I honestly don't see what there is to fall in love with when it comes to that contract.

Not really a bad one, but not a great one either.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Of course it is. The Rangers bought 2 UFA years. Each year added raises the AAV.

Basically, Kreider asked for 5.25 for 1 year. The Rangers get the choose the arbitration term in this case since Kreider elected arbitration, and there was no way the Rangers would select a term of 2 years. He ended up getting 4.625 per year on a 4 year deal. That's significantly lower than his asking price when you consider the added term.

Those arbitration numbers aren't real anyway. The player always asks for something higher than they expect to get and the team always offers something lower than they expect to pay.

Well said, GAG.

I think this sums it up.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Its not a very good deal... Its market value. Dont think he would have gotten alot more on the open market. He is a 0,5 ppg player. Its not a bad deal but its not very good at all. Very good would have been less than 4,5 and more term. Its a fair deal, but a fair deal isnt a very good deal at all. Far from it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Good deal IMO. I like Kreider and think he can/will put up bigger numbers.

Seems fair for both sides, given what he's shown this far.

concur x 2
would have been happier if it were max 8 years pushing the number down closer to 4m per, but still, happy he's a Ranger under multiyear contract.

At that price I think he would also be tradable. I think it's resonable and with his size and skill abilities a valuable team asset.

That has not changed.
He brings a certain physicality and speed that as a combo is extremely difficult to replace, esp in one guy, therefore he is not so tradeable, only:
for overpayment too high to ignore, not fair value
or
as part of fair value but in package for an elite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad