Proposal: Nyr-car

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KreiderHouseRules*

As a NYR fan, I wouldn't want to trade Lindberg for Ryan Murphy.

Lindberg had a great rookie season, and is a very smart player in all three zones. He's still supremely underrated and while he's not flashy, we still don't know his ceiling. He has the tools and the IQ to have a very long NHL career. Think Dallas Drake, Jere Lehtinen, John Madden, Kris Draper mold.

Not interesting in trading for an undersized defenseman who's stock has only fallen since he was drafted. He certainly still young enough to reach his potential or at least find his niche, but he's just so small, and as a defenseman, that's an injury-plagued career waiting to happen, IMO. He doesn't avoid hits particularly well (doesn't have the escapability of some more successful smaller guys) and I'm not sure his offense translates to the NHL the way it did in Juniors. I used to be a big fan, but he's looked overmatched physically at this level, and he's fast, but not fast enough to make up for it.

I'd do Jensen and Fast for him, sure. Fast is a dime-a-dozen player imo. But Lindberg has too much potential to trade for a lesser player right now. Trading Lindberg for Ryan Murphy would signal that NYR was "giving up" on Lindberg, and I just don't see how they could or would do that at this point.

Ryan Murphy's value is that of a 2nd or 3rd round pick right now, IMO.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
[NHL][/NHL]
As a NYR fan, I wouldn't want to trade Lindberg for Ryan Murphy.

Lindberg had a great rookie season, and is a very smart player in all three zones. He's still supremely underrated and while he's not flashy, we still don't know his ceiling. He has the tools and the IQ to have a very long NHL career. Think Dallas Drake, Jere Lehtinen, John Madden, Kris Draper mold.

Not interesting in trading for an undersized defenseman who's stock has only fallen since he was drafted. He certainly still young enough to reach his potential or at least find his niche, but he's just so small, and as a defenseman, that's an injury-plagued career waiting to happen, IMO. He doesn't avoid hits particularly well (doesn't have the escapability of some more successful smaller guys) and I'm not sure his offense translates to the NHL the way it did in Juniors. I used to be a big fan, but he's looked overmatched physically at this level, and he's fast, but not fast enough to make up for it.

I'd do Jensen and Fast for him, sure. Fast is a dime-a-dozen player imo. But Lindberg has too much potential to trade for a lesser player right now. Trading Lindberg for Ryan Murphy would signal that NYR was "giving up" on Lindberg, and I just don't see how they could or would do that at this point.

Ryan Murphy's value is that of a 2nd or 3rd round pick right now, IMO.

What about that same package of Lindberg and Fast for Fleury?

KreiderHouseRules*

[NHL][/NHL]

You kidding?

Of course. I'd be all over that.

NYR would need to trade Staal though, or at least one of McDonagh/Skjei/Fleury would have to play the right side.

I don't think CAR wants Lindberg and Fast badly enough to trade Haydn Fleury. Their LD depth after Hanifin isn't exactly spectacular.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
[NHL][/NHL]

Two bottom-6ers for a recent top-10 pick? Not likely.

Canes bought out Wizniewski and left Ryan Murphy and Matt Tennyson to fill in as 3rd pairing RD. Seeing as they already have a full forward roster, the OP doesn't make much sense for them.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You kidding?

Of course. I'd be all over that.

NYR would need to trade Staal though, or at least one of McDonagh/Skjei/Fleury would have to play the right side.

I don't think CAR wants Lindberg and Fast badly enough to trade Haydn Fleury. Their LD depth after Hanifin isn't exactly spectacular.

Canes have two potential #1 LHD in Slavin and Hanifin. Slavin will start on the 1st pairing with Faulk and Hanifin will likely develop in that direction. Beyond that Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean, Trevor Carrick, and Ron Hainsey (UFA after next year) represent one of the deepest LHD pools in the NHL.

KreiderHouseRules*

Canes have two potential #1 LHD in Slavin and Hanifin. Slavin will start on the 1st pairing with Faulk and Hanifin will likely develop in that direction. Beyond that Haydn Fleury, Jake Bean, Trevor Carrick, and Ron Hainsey (UFA after next year) represent one of the deepest LHD pools in the NHL.

Forgot Slavin was a lefty. Don't know why I thought he was right-handed.

Beyond that, I'm not too familiar with those prospects you listed, so my mistake.

Regardless, I still don't see the Canes being so desperate for Lindberg and Fast that they'd move Fleury, although maybe if they are as deep as you say, they can afford to move someone like Fleury if they see something special in Lindberg/Fast.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Forgot Slavin was a lefty. Don't know why I thought he was right-handed.

Beyond that, I'm not too familiar with those prospects you listed, so my mistake.

Regardless, I still don't see the Canes being so desperate for Lindberg and Fast that they'd move Fleury, although maybe if they are as deep as you say, they can afford to move someone like Fleury if they see something special in Lindberg/Fast.

Played right side a bit in college, with the WJC team, and a bit of last season when Faulk was out. But he's a LHS.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd do Jensen and a small add for Murphy.

I'm sure you would, but I'm pretty sure the Canes would not want Jensen. I'm not the biggest Murphy fan, but I do recognize he still has a use on this team, still has potential and will likely be a full time NHL player this season.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the Rangers are hoping Clendening and/or Paliotta turn out to be their version of Murphy.

Not sure how the Rangers could even add in another defender without subtracting one or two.

McD, G, Staal, Klein, Holden, McIlrath, Clendening are all waiver eligible, and they have Skjei who is not waivers eligible, but should make the team.

If they added Murphy, another waiver eligible player, without removing some of that, two of Murphy, McIlrath, Clendening are not getting any playing time

Also Fast is a dime a dozen? only 191 forwards last year had 30 or more points. (30 teams, 180 top 6 forwards, puts him pretty much at the higher end of 3rd line production, albeit he spent a good amount of time in the the top 6, so likely more like slightly above average 3rd line production should he actually play on a 3rd line, aka top 9 forward)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
good effort by OP, but I see Murphy more as a throw in on a larger deal than a main piece:

something around
Stepan
for
Pesce, Murphy, cap dump Bickell, return of NYR 2nd and add Canes 2nd, 2017

haven't finalized, but that is my thinking
rangers have multiple more deals, but this helps on their RD, and helps w/team salary structure. adds an expansion draft exempt asset.

Canes get the 20th best C, approx, under term, for top $ but getting cheaper over bal of deal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Murphy has been around a while and has never quite been able to lock down a position so I'm not sure why the Rangers would send two players--one of whom (Fast) has locked down a spot and the other who (Lindberg) probably will and keeping in mind that the Rangers almost certainly won't be protecting Murphy in next year's expansion draft. That's way too much.

A very good return for Carolina for Murphy at this point in his career would be a 2nd but it's very possible he could be had for less. More valuable than Jensen?--without doubt but he's less valuable than Fast. About even with Lindberg. No point overpaying for a player who after 4 pro seasons has underachieved.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I actually think Murphy has potential to play, maybe even above bottom pair at some point down the road, where as I think Clendening and some others likely max out at bottom pair if they even get there.

So I'd still like the Rangers to get Murphy, but they just don't have anywhere to play him.

Quite honestly I'm not sure if healthy they have anywhere to play 2 of 3 of McIlrath, Skjei, Clendening.

Clendening may clear waivers if they send him down, but still that leaves only one spot for two players who are, or should be on the cusp of being an NHL starter. It kind of makes me wonder what the plan is. I assume to trade Klein at some point, but only if those two can actually be starters. How can they become starters if they don't play?

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016
good effort by OP, but I see Murphy more as a throw in on a larger deal than a main piece:

something around
Stepan
for
Pesce, Murphy, cap dump Bickell, return of NYR 2nd and add Canes 2nd, 2017

haven't finalized, but that is my thinking
rangers have multiple more deals, but this helps on their RD, and helps w/team salary structure. adds an expansion draft exempt asset.

Canes get the 20th best C, approx, under term, for top $ but getting cheaper over bal of deal.

what is this trash?

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
#FeelTheBern :laugh:

Rangers aren't trading Stepan after just trading Brassard. The sooner you come to that realization, bern, the better.

This. No interest in dealing Stepan in general anymore

Rangers pass on the OP, would surely do the deal for Fleury mentioned in this thread but doubt the Canes would

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The premise of trading Murphy for bottom 6 forward help went out the door when the Canes bought out Wiz and added, TT, Stalberg, Stempniak, and Bickell. Murphy is the #6 right now, and probably the designated expansion draft fodder with his 2 year contract. The likelihood of him being moved went from near certainty to begin the offseason to extremely unlikely now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

C'mon, you made a crappy offer, just own up and get over it. Like I said, I'm not a fan of Murphy at all, but Jensen serves absolutely no purpose what-so-ever. It was basically offering something the other team doesn't want or need. Heck, as a defenseman, Murphy is more productive offensively at the AHL and NHL level than Jensen has been.

Murphy will get every chance to nail down a full time job at the NHL level this year, in fact, they need him to, because of the expansion draft. Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin are exempt. Hainsey and Tennyson are not signed for 17/18. So that means the Canes have to expose 1 of Faulk or Murphy. Even if he never becomes what people thought he would at the NHL level, he still serves a purpose to the Canes, which can't be said for Jensen.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
C'mon, you made a crappy offer, just own up and get over it. Like I said, I'm not a fan of Murphy at all, but Jensen serves absolutely no purpose what-so-ever. It was basically offering something the other team doesn't want or need. Heck, as a defenseman, Murphy is more productive offensively at the AHL and NHL level than Jensen has been.

Murphy will get every chance to nail down a full time job at the NHL level this year, in fact, they need him to, because of the expansion draft. Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin are exempt. Hainsey and Tennyson are not signed for 17/18. So that means the Canes have to expose 1 of Faulk or Murphy. Even if he never becomes what people thought he would at the NHL level, he still serves a purpose to the Canes, which can't be said for Jensen.

Own up and get over what? Murphy isn't worth a lot and neither is Jensen.

I'm clearly not interested in Murphy and wouldn't give up much to get him. Especially not Lindberg and Fast, I mean what in the blue hell is that about?

You need to re-evaluate things from my perspective and get off your high horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad