Proposal: NYR and CAR

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah, while I'd love to add Zib, and I know you have to give to get, I wouldn't give up what the OP proposes. While I wouldn't quite label Necas as "can't miss", he's a 20 yo A+ center prospect, doing quite well in the AHL, who hasn't even grown into his man body yet. It's not outside the realm of possibility that he ends up as good or even better than Zib. Fox is putting up 1.36 ppg at Harvard. which leads the nation for d-men. I look at some recent defensemen who came out of the NCAA (Slavin, Werenski, McAvoy, Parayko, Ghost, Hanifin, etc.) and better appreciate that as a solid development route than I used to. Who knows what Fox's ceiling might be? And while Fleury hasn't lived up to his draft position, he's developing nicely and I see him as probably a solid eventual 2nd pair d-man. The only reason he hasn't played regularly for the Canes is their ridiculous depth on D. Then, add an unprotected first on top of that?

I do realize that Zib is "here and now" and that the Canes package consists of futures, which carries risk. But my calculation of the risk/ reward equation for the Canes prospects leads me to pass, regardless of how much I'd like to add Zib to the Canes.

edit: I understand that Rangers fans are going to have a different risk/reward calculation on the Carolina prospects than mine, which may lead to rejection of the deal from their end.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad