Value of: Elvis Merzlikns

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Saros, Ullmark and Markstrom those are the big 3 available goaltenders this off season everybody forgets that Elvis Merzlikns actually asked for a trade from Columbus eariler this season. Because the trade demand happened in the middle of the season it was probably going to be tough to do.

However with the draft coming in about 5 weeks, assuming Merzlikns hasn't changed his mind perhaps a trade becomes more likely.

Now his numbers the last 2 years are ugly so his value probably isn't overly high but I believe that is a function of the team he's on, I believe he's a good goalie on a very VERY bad team.

I think if you put Merzlikns on a decent team there is a good goaltender there.

What's his value

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Saros, Ullmark and Markstrom those are the big 3 available goaltenders this off season everybody forgets that Elvis Merzlikns actually asked for a trade from Columbus eariler this season. Because the trade demand happened in the middle of the season it was probably going to be tough to do.

However with the draft coming in about 5 weeks, assuming Merzlikns hasn't changed his mind perhaps a trade becomes more likely.

Now his numbers the last 2 years are ugly so his value probably isn't overly high but I believe that is a function of the team he's on, I believe he's a good goalie on a very VERY bad team.

I think if you put Merzlikns on a decent team there is a good goaltender there.

What's his value

His value is very low. The Jackets would be thrilled to dump him.

I also think you are heavily under-estimating the quality of the defense that Jackets had.

Reactions: DaveG and 57special

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He has a 5.4M cap hit.

Unless CBJ are willing to eat at least 2M of that (similar cap hit to Jake Allen) they won't get anything for him

And even then... They'd get a 4th maybe? At least Allen was able to maintain a 900 save% behind an equally bad team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He has a 5.4M cap hit.

Unless CBJ are willing to eat at least 2M of that (similar cap hit to Jake Allen) they won't get anything for him

And even then... They'd get a 4th maybe? At least Allen was able to maintain a 900 save% behind an equally bad team

I think the Canadiens defense was definitely worse than the Jackets.

As for a "trade" for Elvis, I feel like if Kyle Dubas was still running the Leafs, this is the kind of terrible move he would make.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Elvis for Korpisalo straight up. Saves cap for Columbus and saves term for Ottawa.

Reactions: Neutrinos

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
maybe a 3rd with 1 mil retained, else less. ...his stock has sunk the past few seasons a change could turn around his career.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
He has a 5.4M cap hit.

It is not really comparable to Jake Allen

50% retained Allen is effectively a one-year deal at $1.925m for the Devils. Cheap veteran backup money

Merzlikins at 50% retained is 3 years at $2.7m which is a bigger commitment on both ends of the deal.

Now 75% retained (with a broker team) would get it down to $1.35m - a more appealing price but hard-pressed to think a team would tie up a retention slot for 3 years.

it is a real tough spot for Columbus. Even in a goaltending starved league if they get anything at all to get that contract off their books they should do it

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Elvis followed up his season with an atrocious Worlds where he was clearly outplayed by Fischtown Penguin... Gudlevskis.. So his value is the lowest it has ever been and I honestly don't think anyone does anything to acquire him. Unless the Jackets are giving away a 1st or readymade prospects to take him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the Canadiens defense was definitely worse than the Jackets.

As for a "trade" for Elvis, I feel like if Kyle Dubas was still running the Leafs, this is the kind of terrible move he would make.

Nah he's not one of Dubas's guys like Murray, Campbell and Sparks were/are.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Merzlikins for 7th round. Nothing against him but we need resign some players also have Tarasov and Greaves.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Elvis in Toronto would be a media frenzy. It's been hinted he's not only got trouble on the ice but his personality has worn thin in the lockerroom as well. He's a fiery guy with a big ego that likes the spotlight. However, the lights have been too bright even in Columbus given his poor play and on ice attitude. He'd be a nightmare in Toronto.

We'll take a 7th and some popcorn please. :D

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
( I made a thread about this 1 or 2 weeks ago and said this )

Something around Korpisalo (3y contract) for Chiarot or Holl (2y contracts).

DET says "Husso has to be part of the deal too", so add Husso and then add a depth D without a lot of value or term from CBJ.

Merzlikins + Boqvist/Gudbranson
for
Chiarot/Holl + Husso

...and then if one of the teams needs to add a pick or prospect or whatever to make the value work properly, then sure, do that too.

BOS no interest in Merzlikins
BUF only if it involves Skinner (CBJ says no)
DET see above
FLA no interest
MTL in theory maybe but. I doubt MTL has interest
OTT only works involving Korpisalo
TBL no interest
TOR only if it involved Tavares (who won't waive NMC)
CAR no interest
NJD no interest once they add Markstrom/Saros/Ullmark
NYI NYR PHI no interest
PIT would have to involve Jarry, unlikely they want Elvis
WAS don't see interest but mayyybe. must involve Kuemper
CHI something involving Mrazek
COL no interest because Elvis isn't an upgrade on Georgiev
DAL no interest
MIN probably no interest, if they do it involves Gustavsson
NAS could have interest! But ONLY if they trade Saros
STL no interest
UTA unlikely to be interested, it would involve Vejmelka
WPG no interest
ANH it would be Elvis+ for Gibson, if ANH wants it (?)
CGY would have to involve Huberdeau (lmao!)
EDM would have to involve Jack Campbell
LAK would have to involve Pierre-Luc Dubois (lol)
SJS could happen if you compensate them (involves Vanecek)
SEA VAN VGK no interest

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
MTL in theory maybe but. I doubt MTL has interest

I'd love to hear the theory. Montreal just moved Jake Allen who is a better goaltender than Elvis, because they already had Sam Montembeault and Cayden Primeau.

What theory could you possibly have where Montreal then goes and acquires a lousy, overpaid goaltender to do what... Play in Laval?

Why would they do this?

Reactions: Weltschmerz

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I'd love to hear the theory. Montreal just moved Jake Allen who is a better goaltender than Elvis, because they already had Sam Montembeault and Cayden Primeau.

What theory could you possibly have where Montreal then goes and acquires a lousy, overpaid goaltender to do what... Play in Laval?

Why would they do this?
It would be "Montréal covets a good CBJ prospect and Columbus is willing to include that prospect in some sort of deal that involves Montembeault and Merzlikins and CBJ adding that prospect in". Not saying it's likely at all. It's with the realm of possibility though. In theory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad