Nyquist & Tatar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
my problem with both of them that they are not good defensively and next generation Mantha and Svechnikov pretty much the same . All this players are expendable . We need get better at center and defense. We need players that are good at any place , just like Z, Dats , Larkin, Aby even Helm

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Nyquist and Tatar are a bit outside the low side of what I thought they'd do this year, in large part because their IT has dried up. In terms of per minute production they aren't actually too far away from what I thought they'd be.

20-24 goals, 46-50 points.

The thing is, I don't really disagree with Blashill's demotion of the pair of them. For most of the year they've both been pretty bad without the puck on their stick, and then not very stiff with it there, either.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
They seem pretty ineffective mostly because our roster lacks true power forwards, who can drive the net and open up space for them. As mediocre as Abby is, if we had two more of him, we could create 3 decent lines that work consistently. Our lineup generally lacks size and grit on the top lines to go with the playmaking. If I were Nyquist and Tatar, I would stop frustrating myself trying to create too much and start shooting from just about everywhere. Work the percentages, hope for rebounds, deflections, flukes, etc. Anything is better than skating around till you turn the puck over. I still like the fact they're at least trying, though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They seem pretty ineffective mostly because our roster lacks true power forwards, who can drive the net and open up space for them. As mediocre as Abby is, if we had two more of him, we could create 3 decent lines that work consistently. Our lineup generally lacks size and grit on the top lines to go with the playmaking. If I were Nyquist and Tatar, I would stop frustrating myself trying to create too much and start shooting from just about everywhere. Work the percentages, hope for rebounds, deflections, flukes, etc. Anything is better than skating around till you turn the puck over. I still like the fact they're at least trying, though.

Agree. We should go after Komarov if possible.

But don't think Toronto will want any of our players, because Babcock knows them too well. So it would be only for picks.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Agree. We should go after Komarov if possible.

But don't think Toronto will want any of our players, because Babcock knows them too well. So it would be only for picks.

And hopefully none of our players end up there. I'd feel bad for them :nod:

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Gus most definitely stepped up recently, making himself more noticeable.
Getting the feeling that some only look out for actual assists or goals, not created chances.

I'm not sure if my sarcastic meter is broken.

But I'll say eventually created chances don't mean crap id you never get results.

Also, I hope Tatar and Nyquist don't turn into another Hudler and Flip situation. Either they need to be a bigger part of our future or moved to acquire those pieces.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
These two are really one dimensional type NHLers. The stat lines for both are nearly identical, no joke.

Tomas Tatar 2015-2016 DET L 60 16 17 33 -3 24 5 10 0 0 3 1 126 12.7 14:36 20.0 23.8

Gustav Nyquist 2015-2016 DET R 61 14 18 32 -4 20 6 10 0 0 3 2 123 11.4 15:10 20.0 0.0

Both need to shoot A LOT more! Neither hit much nor drive the net often.
We basically have two new versions of Hudler & Filppula.
Thanks Ken Holland. I think Nyquist is the slower skater so if I was Kenny I would trade him first but ultimately both will probably be gone in a few seasons anyway.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Tatar mentioned something along the lines of him scoring less because of the system Detroit plays this year. I think he said it was like a tight checking thing. This was maybe like a month ago for a Slovak newspaper, can't remember which one now, so I can't find the link and the exact quote. Any thoughts on that guys?

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Tatar mentioned something along the lines of him scoring less because of the system Detroit plays this year. I think he said it was like a tight checking thing. This was maybe like a month ago for a Slovak newspaper, can't remember which one now, so I can't find the link and the exact quote. Any thoughts on that guys?

If he said that, I'm bemused he's blaming the defensive requirements of a system hurting his offense while simultaneously being bad at the defensive requirements.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
These two are really one dimensional type NHLers. The stat lines for both are nearly identical, no joke.

Tomas Tatar 2015-2016 DET L 60 16 17 33 -3 24 5 10 0 0 3 1 126 12.7 14:36 20.0 23.8

Gustav Nyquist 2015-2016 DET R 61 14 18 32 -4 20 6 10 0 0 3 2 123 11.4 15:10 20.0 0.0

Both need to shoot A LOT more! Neither hit much nor drive the net often.
We basically have two new versions of Hudler & Filppula.
Thanks Ken Holland. I think Nyquist is the slower skater so if I was Kenny I would trade him first but ultimately both will probably be gone in a few seasons anyway.

They'll both be gone the moment they hit free agency.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

He needs to shoot and the drive to the net more. And stop turning the puck over. Play smarter 2-way hockey.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

yeah, it's not like the wing did that under babcock...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Basically the entire team has lower offensive numbers than last year so he's not wrong in 'blaming' the system. However he would have 20 more points this year if he didn't think he was Patrick Kane and started passing the puck more and shooting when he's got chances instead of stickhandling.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Basically the entire team has lower offensive numbers than last year so he's not wrong in 'blaming' the system. However he would have 20 more points this year if he didn't think he was Patrick Kane and started passing the puck more and shooting when he's got chances instead of stickhandling.

Oh okay, that makes sense then.

Anyway I don't think he was "blaming" the system, but rather answering the reporter's question about his lower production this year.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
What the hell happened to Nyquist?

Predicted to be a great scorer with a really high value, a couple of years ago.

Now....dud?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Good to see these 2 get it going. Hopefully they keep it going.
The goal by Nyquis was maybe the best goal of the season.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Now....dud?

During his explosion it was when he was relatively unknown. Now other teams plan for him and he gets beaten like a redheaded step child of a rented mule by defenders.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
During his explosion it was when he was relatively unknown. Now other teams plan for him and he gets beaten like a redheaded step child of a rented mule by defenders.

that and he also seems to have lost some skating speed. the first few steps aren't as fast anymore.

his 5on5 production the past two seasons has been concerning.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Now....dud?
You talk as if it's been years and years since he was good. He is a good scorer, 50-60 point type of player. Thing is, when you have a team that doesn't score a lot of goals it hurts everyone's numbers. Gus still just needs a good finish to the season to get to 50+ points, he's hardly a dud.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wasn't his SH% his first couple seasons sky high? And a lot of it was on the PP if I recall correctly. Regression towards the mean + our terribad PP this season = big decline in numbers.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Wasn't his SH% his first couple seasons sky high? And a lot of it was on the PP if I recall correctly. Regression towards the mean + our terribad PP this season = big decline in numbers.

2013-2014: 16.87% (5v5: 17.21% and pp: 16.22%)
2014-2015: 13.40% (5v5: 8.16% and pp: 25.93%)
2015-2016: 12.00% (5v5: 8.14% and pp: 28.57%)

So he actually has a better Sh% on the pp this year, but shooting the puck a lot less. One of our biggest priorities this off-season should be to get a new pp-coach IMO.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Nyquist is a pp/ breakaway scorer. Our pp system is horrific and we rarely go for a long pass.

Tatar struggling is more surprising, as he used go play a much grittier game. Now he thinks he is Datsyuk with the puck...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad