Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There weren't many experts having Maple Leafs winning that series against Bruins. But obviously it's Gardiner and Nylanders fault, especially the 22 year old guy is to blame :sarcasm:
Well for you points guys, he didn't do much. But he did lead the Leafs in AoBCRTMP/60.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So in your opinion, what top 4 defenseman do you trade Nylander for? Injuries happen during the year and that’s where depth comes in play and allows us to maintain success. Trading away one of our best for forwards to upgrade a position of “weakness”(defense, which I think has been blow out of proportion by some) can result in something we saw 2 years ago with Edmonton and NJ.

if your concerned about injuries and depth

i would argue we need to back up our top 4 D in that regard WAY MORE then we do when talking about wingers with offensive flare.

what top 4 D do we trade for? Thats for KD to figure out

but it should not be that hard , IF your starting dangle is a offensive winger worthy of 8m a year.

succcccchhh a premier player should garner lots of interest.

after all,,,,all we are looking for to start with is a top 4 Dman.

Reactions: dsred

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Please look at the Kucherov bridge and explain to me why Nylander is worth this much.

no one knows what Willie is asking for annd what term

and

Kuch after a couple of 60 pt season signed an inflation adjusted deal for mid 5's and out performed that deal and who's to say Willie has declined or was even offered that bridge .

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
and just to add

if he wanted to preach the "me vs we" then he should have started with JT and held firm to 8.5 to 9m x 7yr contract

There is no way Tavares, as a UFA, was signing anywhere for less than he did. He gave up a lot of money to come here. 13Mx7 widely reported as offered by SJS. 12x8 widely reported as offered by Isles. Say what you will but Tavares left 14-19 million dollars on the table to come here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We do need him. There is no winger that we can expect right now taking his place next to Matthews or Tavares. We do not want to end up like Edmonton making a Hall vs Larsson trade here. Look where Edmonton is right now.

me willi is not even close to Hall,,,so don't worry one little bit about that,,,,

no winger???? ahh his name is Marner,,,,there is your #1 winger

so if our 2nd line winger does not want to re up,,,,,oh well buhhhh bye

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There is no way Tavares, as a UFA, was signing anywhere for less than he did. He left money on the table to sign here. 13Mx7 widely reported as offered by SJS. 12x8 widely reported as offered by Isles. Whatever you wanna say Tavares left 14-19 million dollars on the table to come here.
yea the widely reported rumors people only believe when it aligns with there opinion

and even if they were true , taking a small over payment instead of a large one isn't buying into "me vs we" and has nothing in common with wanting players to take a sub market offer

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't really care tbh. I'm basing that off a comment I read from Babcock not long after we signed Tavares. Leafs are weaker on the left than they are on the right so somebody likely has to switch sides.
I just notice it's easier for him on the right wing. But yeah our left side will be filled hopefully by johnsson and I'd like to see grundstrom in a checking role. And really this is Leivo s last shot. No more excuses.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
no one knows what Willie is asking for annd what term

and

Kuch after a couple of 60 pt season signed an inflation adjusted deal for mid 5's and out performed that deal and who's to say Willie has declined or was even offered that bridge .
His cap hit was $4,766,667 over 3 years and his scored more points. If he had signed a 2 year bridge, he would have been around $4.5MM

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
me willi is not even close to Hall,,,so don't worry one little bit about that,,,,

no winger???? ahh his name is Marner,,,,there is your #1 winger

so if our 2nd line winger does not want to re up,,,,,oh well buhhhh bye
I understand you favour Marner heavily but he can not play on both Matthews and Tavares lines, even if he's a canadian superhuman :sarcasm:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dubas preaching "We before Me" to the players to take less $$, but Willie might see that as "We (MLSE management) before Me (Nylander)".

The stronger the Leafs team as a result of players making individual sacrifices financially, means more playoff game receipts the further they go, and more $$ ownership is lining their pockets in profit off the teams success. Its an inverse relationship from player to management perspective.

Dubas selling Stanley Cup to the players, but also selling big profit to his own bosses MLSE for them if he successfully convinces the players its on them as to how strong the team is on the ice.

Not sure Leaf players nor their agents won't see through this. IMO

As per usual, what the hell are you even on about right now.

Nylander isn't a dumb guy. I'm pretty sure he knows there's only so much money to go around. I'm sure he's well aware for everyone to fit and stay together and contend some small financial sacrifices may need to be made. It's entirely his prerogative as to whether he goes along with that, but there isn't some crazy hidden ulterior motive here for Dubas that Nylander has to decode and see through. If the team does well everything for team profit will ultimately sort itself out. Dubas is just trying to make the best team within the cap space he has.

And again, where is this supposed "We before Me" motto coming from.

Reactions: baton elevated

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
yea the widely reported rumors people only believe when it aligns with there opinion

and even if they were true , taking a small over payment instead of a large one isn't buying into "me vs we" and has nothing in common with wanting players to take a sub market offer

These were reports that came out after the fact and from trusted people like Pierre LeBrun. What reason exactly do we have to doubt them?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Well Dubas has never indicated he expects players to take sub market contracts, so I guess that kills that argument.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I just notice it's easier for him on the right wing. But yeah our left side will be filled hopefully by johnsson and I'd like to see grundstrom in a checking role. And really this is Leivo s last shot. No more excuses.

Absolutely agree. I think if Grundstrom plays well again with the Marlies he'll get a call up if the Leafs suffer any injuries through the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad