Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's shocking, yes SHOCKING, that the Nylander Cheerleading Club shows up en masse to support their guy. Give him whatever he wants? Uh, no.

He's proven squat. If he wants the big bucks then prove it by accepting a bridge deal.

Let's work with this for a second. Suppose what Gramps said in his post is accurate as far as the numbers. The Leafs are at $50 million/8 ($6.25 AAV) and Nylanders at $60 million/8 ($7.5 AAV). Barring using the words "hope", and "potential", what makes anyone think Nylander is worth $7.5 million AAV at this time?

Oh, one last thing. It ain't all about points, point, points, points, points.

Yesterday Jamie Noodles McLennon TSN was talking about Nylander and his comparables. That he falls to the bottom in a list of his comparables.

If it is just points that he offers then he will never get more than 6.1 million.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
if the team is holding firm to a 8 yr term then he should be asking for at least 7.5m , why would he sign for 8 yrs at 6.25 when most of the comparable players who signed for that cap hit did so with a 5/6 term?

if i'm Willie i would rather bet on myself and do a 2yr bridge for around 4.5 to 5m and then sign a larger long term deal

anyway no one knows a damn thing about what money and terms are being talked about and the only thing that's come out is Shanny and Dubas wanting players to take discounts so i have no idea how anyone can say Nylander is the greedy one without any real information about the negotiations

Dubas preaching "We before Me" to the players to take less $$, but Willie might see that as "We (MLSE management) before Me (Nylander)".

The stronger the Leafs team as a result of players making individual sacrifices financially, means more playoff game receipts the further they go, and more $$ ownership is lining their pockets in profit off the teams success. Its an inverse relationship from player to management perspective.

Dubas selling Stanley Cup to the players, but also selling big profit to his own bosses MLSE for them if he successfully convinces the players its on them as to how strong the team is on the ice.

Not sure Leaf players nor their agents won't see through this. IMO

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Every metric that rates defense has Nylander as a superior defensive player to BOTH Matthews and Marner.

But sure, let's ignore facts and keep talking about his "compete" and "heart".
I'll bite. EV take aways

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Some here are having a meltdown. Not me. I'm just stating my opinion re: WN's reported contract demands and what I think he's worth.

Honest question- Who is the woman in your avatar?
Dregger doing his wishy washy shtick where he basically said nothing of substance is not "reported contract demands"

that's no different than me channeling my inner Dregger and reporting

"rumor is and i'll emphasize it's just an unconfirmed rumor from non Leaf or even hockey sources is the hold up is Dubas holding firm to 3.75m x 8yr offer"

and then a no mind like Christy Shilton regurgitating it

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Dubas preaching "We before Me" to the players to take less $$, but Willie might see that as "We (MLSE management) before Me (Nylander)".

The stronger the Leafs team as a result of players making individual sacrifices financially, means more playoff game receipts the further they go, and more $$ ownership is lining their pockets in profit off the teams success. Its an inverse relationship from player to management perspective.

Dubas selling Stanley Cup to the players, but also selling big profit to his own bosses MLSE for them if he successfully convinces the players its on them as to how strong the team is on the ice.

I never had you pegged as a conspiracy theorist. Explains a lot lol.

Reactions: kb and Liminality

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
if the team is holding firm to a 8 yr term then he should be asking for at least 7.5m , why would he sign for 8 yrs at 6.25 when most of the comparable players who signed for that cap hit did so with a 5/6yr term?

if i'm Willie i would rather bet on myself and do a 2yr bridge for around 4.5 to 5m and then sign a larger long term deal

anyway no one knows a damn thing about what money and terms are being talked about and the only thing that's come out is Shanny and Dubas wanting players to take discounts so i have no idea how anyone can say Nylander is the greedy one without any real information about the negotiations
Please look at the Kucherov bridge and explain to me why Nylander is worth this much.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dregger doing his wishy washy shtick where he basically said nothing of substance is not "reported contract demands"

that's no different than me channeling my inner Dregger and reporting

"rumor is and i'll emphasize it's just an unconfirmed rumor from non Leaf or even hockey sources is the hold up is Dubas holding firm to 3.75m x 8yr offer"

and then a no mind like Christy Shilton regurgitating it
Nowhere did I mention "Dregger".

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Every metric that rates defense has Nylander as a superior defensive player to BOTH Matthews and Marner.

But sure, let's ignore facts and keep talking about his "compete" and "heart".

I don't by any means think Nylander is bad defensively, in fact he's very good at certain aspects of it, but those stats aren't worth much if they are saying he's superior to Matthews defensively because he quite simply isn't.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah I don't agree that Nylander is better defensively than Matthews and Marner in every category but that's something I'd have to go research.
Also you have to keep in mind that it's way tougher to be good defensively as a centre. While wingers have the easiest defensive responsibilities of the team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

and just to add

if he wanted to preach the "me vs we" then he should have started with JT and held firm to 8.5 to 9m x 7yr contract

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When was "We before Me" ever said by Dubas. I don't recall that. It's sure getting thrown around a lot here tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad