Proposal: NYI/VAN: Mathew Barzal for Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
According to Vancouver fans it sounds like there’s doubt he’ll even be the same after his wrist injury. It’d be closer if that wasn’t a concern but even without that question mark I’d rather have Barzal.

I think it's going to interesting to see how EP does with the coaching change. Green coached a lot of creativity out of the team. His systems were an awful fit for the roster. Boudreau is much more offensive minded, looking forward to seeing if he can turn guys like Boeser, Ep and Horvat around.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
NYI say no. Barzal is by far the more complete player. EP's only skill is dazzling offence, and when he's not doing that he's butter soft. Barzal also has 5 points in his last 3 games. The Islanders as a whole, have had an awful run of things with Covid and a nightmare schedule. Barzal is turning it around and will likely finish with a descent season.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nah. Boudreau will turn Pettersson into a 90 point player. Barzal will never be that guy.

With Boeser on his wing and Horvat behind him Barzal could absolutely be a PPG player for Vancouver, especially with Gabbie behind the bench now.

Reactions: mm11

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
It's not about whether its fair valve or not. Brazal just isn't avaialbe, we are building around him. Trading him for Pettersson doesn't do anything for us.

If we even were to consider dealing him it would be for a big overpayment.
But you guys aren't really "building". You guys arent exactly stockpiling draft picks and have have the oldest team in the league. Isn't or wasn't this team in a "go for it" now mentality? Will you guys go full rebuild if you don't make the playoffs this year?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
NYI say no. Barzal is by far the more complete player. EP's only skill is dazzling offence, and when he's not doing that he's butter soft. Barzal also has 5 points in his last 3 games. The Islanders as a whole, have had an awful run of things with Covid and a nightmare schedule. Barzal is turning it around and will likely finish with a descent season.

I think many forget how good Pettersson was.

Reactions: warrior60

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
But you guys aren't really "building". You guys arent exactly stockpiling draft picks and have have the oldest team in the league. Isn't or wasn't this team in a "go for it" now mentality? Will you guys go full rebuild if you don't make the playoffs this year?

Brazal is the face of the franchise with JT gone. He's only 24, in the league 5 year now. Fast, playmaking wizard. Just needs to get a sniper on his wing that can keep up with him.

We are having a HORRIBLE year but this offseason, a bunch of the old guys are gone and we will be going with more youth, not to mention a nice bit of cash for new talent.

We are going to be building around Brazal, Pelech, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Sorkin...and add in Beau.

I think if I had to choose not taking the roster makeup. I'd still prefer Brazal. Don't take it as a knock on Pettersson. I just enjoy his style.

The proposal you make, to me best case it's even and a latteral move. Dones't make sense for us at all.

Reactions: Daves a mess

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
According to Vancouver fans it sounds like there’s doubt he’ll even be the same after his wrist injury. It’d be closer if that wasn’t a concern but even without that question mark I’d rather have Barzal.

That bold isn't really true... he's sniped since his return (e.g. in the Montreal game) so it might be more a confidence/ overthinking issue (he did bobble the puck and didn't seem to hustle back as hard). Hopefully Boudreau can bring back the best Petey though (already paired him up again with our team's sparkplug, Conor Garland).

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
That bold isn't really true... he's sniped since his return (e.g. in the Montreal game) so it might be more a confidence/ overthinking issue (he did bobble the puck and didn't seem to hustle back as hard). Hopefully Boudreau can bring back the best Petey though (already paired him up again with our team's sparkplug, Conor Garland).
I hope so man, league is better with him at 100%. I only catch a few western games but usually look at the highlights and he’s a sick player when he’s at his best.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nah. Boudreau will turn Pettersson into a 90 point player. Barzal will never be that guy.

he had 85 points as a rookie with less talent they have now. His point totals are a product of Trotz system. Barzal is much more of a complete and better player now than he was in his 85 point rookie campaign

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pettersson has more natural skill but Barzal is a better 200ft player and wouldn’t be available. Playing for Trotz definitely hurts his individual numbers and I don’t see Pettersson and Trotz as a good fit.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd pass from the Nucks pov.

Would rather gamble that Pettersson finds better chemistry with the new coach and front office. Barzal's next contract could get messy

Reactions: jackjohnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad