Proposal: NYI/VAN: Mathew Barzal for Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Islanders and Canucks swap their struggling star centres.

The salary is similar. 2x7M for Barzal and 3x7.35M for EP.

Barzal goes home to Vancouver. It’d be an off-season deal of course.

I’m a neutral fan who thinks it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Yeah, been harping on this for a few weeks now.
Barzal is not a perfect player (of course, neither is Pettersson), but being a local kid with his skating ability - it just seems like a better fit for Vancouver.

We all know Petey is going to be an effective player for a long time in this league. At his best you would consider him untouchable.
Well, same goes for Barzal, and the fact of the matter is - they're both struggling right now.

Vancouver just needs a serious shake up, and improving team speed would be a nice way to build a bit of an identity.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Will add Barzal is also a RH shot with helps our l/r balance

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Isles fans, how big of a gap is there between Petey and Barzal from your perspective?
Personally I think it's fairly lateral but could be a good restart.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
It's not about whether its fair valve or not. Brazal just isn't avaialbe, we are building around him. Trading him for Pettersson doesn't do anything for us.

If we even were to consider dealing him it would be for a big overpayment.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If Petey is still struggling with the new coach, then I'm in.

Struggling young stud for another struggling young stud.

Barzal coming home and Petey going somewhere with less media attention/scrutiny. Could honestly work out for both sides.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Fun trade idea. Wish more of these deals happened but it’s too much risk for a GM to take in a conservative sport like the NHL.

Reactions: Hitemwith4

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Isles fans, how big of a gap is there between Petey and Barzal from your perspective?
Personally I think it's fairly lateral but could be a good restart.

Actually, I think a good amount of Isles fans (me included) agree with your opinion on it being a lateral move value wise.

Speaking for myself, I don’t think Barzal has been the issue that some are making him out to be. I’m fine with the Isles keeping him and further building with him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Not even a fan of Barzal and I'd rather have him at this point
Even though Barzal is not producing (till recently?) at least he still looks competent out there.
Pettersson just does so little thats positive every game this year.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
This is a really good one....I think both players are better fits on the opposite teams, we need more finishers, Barzal and Boeser would be money together. But I think it comes down to I'd rather sleep with the devil I know in Barzal for now.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
I don't do this trade cause I like Barzal and still believe in him but this by no means is a bad proposal and is very good on value/principle (also EP is very good)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I can’t see either team making this trade. It’s more or less a lateral move that wouldn’t change much for either lineup. Both GMs would pass.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Obviously very unlikely this deal is made, but fun to think about. I would take Pettersson in most circumstances, but Barzal possession game may make him more valuable to defensive team like Islanders.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
According to Vancouver fans it sounds like there’s doubt he’ll even be the same after his wrist injury. It’d be closer if that wasn’t a concern but even without that question mark I’d rather have Barzal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have to say, this is a pretty reasonable proposal: A swap of two struggling, but very talented star centers. Change of scenery type trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad