Waived: [NYI] Sam Bolduc, Pierre Engvall, Hudson Fasching, Liam Foudy, Marcus Hogberg, Grant Hutton, Frederik Karlstrom, Jakub Skarek waived by the Islanders

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Engvall is an excellent role player and a playdriver, but doesn't fit the stereotype of his size. Kind of a unique situation where he would be a lot more appreciated if he was 5 inches shorter, but played the exact same way.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I also think there's a pretty decent Bolduc gets claimed. But are the Oilers really in the right position or "phase" to be tinkering around with a "Project 7th D"? Feel like they'd be better served just rolling with some ho hum "know what you're gonna get", knows their roles, press box jockey filler type. Who can just step in and well..."could be worse".
Josh Brown is currently our 7th D and got sent down to Bako. Just taking a flyer on Bolduc wouldn't hurt, he's cheaper than Brown and if things don't go well, just waive him again. All that being said, it's not exactly a important need right now, just an armchair GM'ing idea.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
[
Kind of a shame that he's another player who is going to get Wade Reddened out of the league because a GM made a stupid decision though. There are plenty of teams that could use a player like Engvall, even at something similar to that cap hit. Just simply...not for nearly half that long. But it was an obviously insane contract to sign the guy to at the time, in term more so than AAV. And Engvall still gets his money so he'll probably be alright. Just sucks a bit to see NHL caliber players washed out of a talent-thin pool, with worse players getting the jobs instead, because in the immortal words of Bobby Lou, "his contract sucks", or as Lou Lams himself put it, "too much, for too long".

He’ll definitely play in the NHL again. He’s being waived to be cap compliant; otherwise he would just be a healthy scratch.

Reactions: Fatass

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Bolduc should probably be claimed, but I think teams may be set and without a sure spot will probably fall through for some finger crossing fans.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Bolduc should probably be claimed, but I think teams may be set and without a sure spot will probably fall through for some finger crossing fans.
Only way I see this happening is if it’s a team with some injury issues currently/one of the rebuilding teams with a lot of space. I’m not sure outside of LA with Doughty of teams with injured defensemen.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Waddell's been kind of specializing in moves that I don't necessarily find, like, overwhelmingly fire-this-man objectionable, but still find distasteful for one easily-cited reason or another, and Porty was reporting earlier today that Waddell was chatting about trades but not moving immediately because of the possibility one of the Interesting Names in mind could come up on the waiver wire today.

So yeah, some part of me is thinking/anticipating/dreading/predicting he's going to put in a waiver claim for Engvall. Because, y'know, with Jenner and Voronkov both out there's roster space available, and we can afford the cap hit. I just REALLY don't like that term...
I definitely can see the fit for The Jackets.

I wonder if Waddell can get a draft pick after he goes through though.

Like calls and says you could buy him out next year and take on a cap hit or take a 1.7 million cap hit each year buried or... you can give me a draft pick like a 2nd and or 3rd.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I definitely can see the fit for The Jackets.

I wonder if Waddell can get a draft pick after he goes through though.

Like calls and says you could buy him out next year and take on a cap hit or take a 1.7 million cap hit each year buried or... you can give me a draft pick like a 2nd and or 3rd.
I could see the isles doing that tbh. We’re going to need to sign Dobson and Romanov this summer, and I don’t think the savings from losing Nelson and Palmieri will cover it. Add to that that Tsyplakov has looked like an absolute wagon and will need a contract as well, clearing Engvall’s full cap would go a long way

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Engvall is an excellent role player and a playdriver, but doesn't fit the stereotype of his size. Kind of a unique situation where he would be a lot more appreciated if he was 5 inches shorter, but played the exact same way.
That's the thing - he's not a good role player. He's good at one thing - D zone exits. Now, that is a very important thing. And given his speed & wingspan, he ought to be able to be a good role player simply by taking good routes, sealing off passing lanes, and blocking shots. He does not have to be a physical player.

But he doesn't execute defensively, and he does not block shots. His skating/wingspan combo should translate to being excellent on the PK. So I've watched (I'm a NYI fan) how he defend with a mind to figuring out why he isn't even on the PK. He doesn't close out the points on a good line, he avoids blocking shots, and his stick isn't active. If he did those things, combined with his zone exit ability, he'd have easily made the roster. And I think his lack of defensive responsiveness makes him worse given how Roy wants to play as opposed to the more passive defensive system Lambert inherited from Trotz.

Unrelatedly, I will be very surprised if Bolduc isn't claimed. He has size, a hard + accurate shot, and is a + athlete. I expect he'd be worth the try by a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad