Waived: [NYI] Sam Bolduc, Pierre Engvall, Hudson Fasching, Liam Foudy, Marcus Hogberg, Grant Hutton, Frederik Karlstrom, Jakub Skarek waived by the Islanders

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Lou has completely f***ed the New York Islanders for the next decade as I predicted 2 years ago when instead of starting the rebuild he went all in and made the idiotic Horvat trade and this trade and signing and now the Islanders are stuck in mediocrity for the next 2-3 years until they are forced to start a long and a miserable rebuild

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lou has completely f***ed the New York Islanders for the next decade as I predicted 2 years ago when instead of starting the rebuild he went all in and made the idiotic Horvat trade and this trade and signing and now the Islanders are stuck in mediocrity for the next 2-3 years until they are forced to start a long and a miserable rebuild
Not disagreeing with you, but rebuilding isn't what Lou is gonna do, especially in his 80's.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Waddell's been kind of specializing in moves that I don't necessarily find, like, overwhelmingly fire-this-man objectionable, but still find distasteful for one easily-cited reason or another, and Porty was reporting earlier today that Waddell was chatting about trades but not moving immediately because of the possibility one of the Interesting Names in mind could come up on the waiver wire today.

So yeah, some part of me is thinking/anticipating/dreading/predicting he's going to put in a waiver claim for Engvall. Because, y'know, with Jenner and Voronkov both out there's roster space available, and we can afford the cap hit. I just REALLY don't like that term...

Reactions: Laus723

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The Isles have $23.3 million in cap space after this season, and $35.33M available the season after with most of our core locked up already. Dobson and Romanov are due, yes, and the Engvall contract was bad the second the ink dried, but to say we're f***ed is a massive misnomer.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Lou owes Barry Trotz big time. He was the only thing keeping him from being an utter failure.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
The Isles have $23.3 million in cap space after this season, and $35.33M available the season after with most of our core locked up already. Dobson and Romanov are due, yes, and the Engvall contract was bad the second the ink dried, but to say we're f***ed is a massive misnomer.
What free agents are going to sign on the Islanders? This isn't baseball, Islanders can only be a success with young and talented players in which they have none

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So yeah, some part of me is thinking/anticipating/dreading/predicting he's going to put in a waiver claim for Engvall. Because, y'know, with Jenner and Voronkov both out there's roster space available, and we can afford the cap hit. I just REALLY don't like that term...

If Engvall had 1 or 2 years left on his deal I could see a team taking a chance but with 6 years left, nobody will touch that contract. I think Islanders sent him down because they know nobody will claim him and he will be ready to play when injuries hit. My guess is it was down to him and Wahlstrom and they said decent chance somebody takes a flyer on Wahlstrom

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lou also signed Zaitsev to an absurd 7 year contract after just 1 year in the NHL. I knew that Engvall contract was dumb as soon as it was signed.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
"I think that what happened, simplistically, is that he's a top six, top nine forward, and Maxim Tsyplakov earned his way into that role, and basically, we have to make the best decisions for the best lineup we can put together," Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello said on Sunday morning. "It's as simple as that. It's not that he did anything wrong, but he basically lost the job at this point. He is not a bottom-six player.

"I still believe in him and his talent and his abilities, but there's only so much room, and with Anthony Duclair coming in for the top line, and then Max fitting in...Now, things can change."
Lou basically preaching that he can do no wrong.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Untrue. Engvall bad signing. Horvat proved to be an outstanding signing. This summer with the addition of Tsyplakov, Cole Eiserman, and Duclair to round out the top line tells me the isles are set for now and the future. Especially with Roy at the helm. The future looked bleak just prior to the draft then the hockey gods gifted the Isles Eiserman and Tsyplakov and all is rosy on the Island.

Reactions: NYI365

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Skarek is probably done after this year... Shame. He seemed promising but that clock is ticking.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
A 26 year old who is barely a .5 ppg game player in the KHL, are you kidding?
The guy is going to make a name for himself in the NHL. Prototypical power forward who needed time to develop. Super talented,great IQ, great shooter even better passer and built like Mark Messier. Players like these are a rare find. Star in the making.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Engvall is exactly who a rebuilding team with lots of cap space, may look hard at claiming. Even with the contract.

Think this is just Lou trying to dump the contract. Can’t really see him not ending up playing in the NHL this season. The Ducks could use him for example.. He works hard and plays the game the right way. Exactly what you want around your kids. He’s a consistent 30 point player. They keep him for 3 years, then he’s probably pretty easy to move or buyout cheap.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Untrue. Engvall bad signing. Horvat proved to be an outstanding signing. This summer with the addition of Tsyplakov, Cole Eiserman, and Duclair to round out the top line tells me the isles are set for now and the future. Especially with Roy at the helm. The future looked bleak just prior to the draft then the hockey gods gifted the Isles Eiserman and Tsyplakov and all is rosy on the Island.
What future? Islanders have a 3 year window at best and that window is to hopefully sneak into a wild card, and until Eiserman proves anything he is another questionable prospect

Green

Nov 13, 2019
The guy is going to make a name for himself in the NHL. Prototypical power forward who needed time to develop. Super talented,great IQ, great shooter even better passer and built like Mark Messier. Players like these are a rare find. Star in the making.
He is 26, that is almost middle age for hockey players, and you know nothing about what he will or won't be, you can only hope

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Engvall can still be a useful NHL player, but he needs to adhere to certain standards the coach sets (which he did not do during camp).

No he can't. Keefe called out Engvall for this like 3 years ago.

“I would like to see more,” the Maple Leafs coach said Saturday morning of his third-line Swedish winger. “With his size and strength, I’ve talked to him at length about closing plays and being more physical.

“At the same time, I’ve coached him a long time (starting with the AHL Marlies in 2017). You push a player and at times you can see that response, but players resort to who they are. The reality is that (full bore aggressiveness) is not in his nature.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What future? Islanders have a 3 year window at best and that window is to hopefully sneak into a wild card, and until Eiserman proves anything he is another questionable prospect

Geez, I'd hate to be married to you . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad