Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CHI] #18 and #50 for #20, #54, and #61 (ALL '24 Picks)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Grinner

May 31, 2022
12 PHI - I don't see them preferring 18 & 50
13 MIN - likewise
14 SJS - Maybe, they're in a big stockpiling assets phase
15 DET - If they trade 15 it's for immediate help IMO
16 STL - Yes that's too much value to pass
17 WAS - as STL
San Jose already has the 1st 14th,33 and the 42nd picks in the 2024 draft and 2 1sts in the 2025 draft. So no,probably not

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That and teams haven’t even finalized their rankings yet.

Seems they want to move up even more to me
But they've just traded off one of their picks. If a team has #10, they might rather move to 20 than 18 if it meant another pick.

Seems like this move hurt their flexibility. Unless they are specifically speaking with a team that said they would move down to 18 but not 20.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
But they've just traded off one of their picks. If a team has #10, they might rather move to 20 than 18 if it meant another pick.

Seems like this move hurt their flexibility. Unless they are specifically speaking with a team that said they would move down to 18 but not 20.
A very low 2nd isn't going to move the needle much if they're looking to move up to somewhere between 8ish and 15ish. They have 34, 50 and the Leafs 25 1st rounder as ammunition if that becomes possible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You have it backward.

Your top 18 pick on your list is guaranteed to be there at 20.
Exactly the NYI win this trade in terms of asset value and Black Hawk fans should be asking why this trade was made but maybe their is more to come.

This kind of trade makes sense in draft day say after the 15-17th picks but the timing just doesn't make sense.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Yes. It makes a ton of sense for the islanders. I would love to know what Chicago is up to. With only the information we have available, this makes no sense at all for them. I’m sure there’s a reason.
Timing is definitely odd.

Pretty easy from a Hawks perspective. They desperately wanted to move up last year and couldn't, so when an opportunity arose this year they made the deal. Over the next three years the Hawks have like 10 2nd round DP's, so they wanted to increase the qualitynatbthe cost of some volume.

From a draft perspective they could have a top15/16 and they are hoping that a couple of teams have different players in that tier and the odds of one of their guys falling to 18 is significantly better than falling to 20. Still odd to make the deal now instead of waiting, unless they're trying to move up further.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
At this point the Hawks are after quality over quantity so upgrading their 1st and 2nd for the cost of a mid second makes sense. The real question is why the islanders are doing this.

Reactions: Space umpire

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Timing is definitely odd.

Pretty easy from a Hawks perspective. They desperately wanted to move up last year and couldn't, so when an opportunity arose this year they made the deal. Over the next three years the Hawks have like 10 2nd round DP's, so they wanted to increase the qualitynatbthe cost of some volume.

From a draft perspective they could have a top15/16 and they are hoping that a couple of teams have different players in that tier and the odds of one of their guys falling to 18 is significantly better than falling to 20. Still odd to make the deal now instead of waiting, unless they're trying to move up further.
Nobody desperately wants to move up. They desperately want to move up for a player they have ranked earlier on their list that has fallen down the board much more than they expected. That has not occurred, here. I have never seen a trade like this before that I can remember.

At this point the Hawks are after quality over quantity so upgrading their 1st and 2nd for the cost of a mid second makes sense. The real question is why the islanders are doing this.
Islanders wanted a bonus 2nd. That’s easy.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean they are prob getting a similar tier player that they woulda got at 18 and 50.... and they are adding a mid 2nd. You can prob argue the value of the guy they pick at 61 being similar to the guy they woulda picked at 50. So basically getting 2 guys for 1 in the 2nd...... and only dropping 2 spots in the 1st.
I think its pretty good/smart trade for a team that has limited prospect pool.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
who the hell do the Hawks think they can at #18 that wont be available at #20? its just a crapshoot by then anyway

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
who the hell do the Hawks think they can at #18 that wont be available at #20? its just a crapshoot by then anyway
Might not want draft RHD Levshunov at #2 and go the way of drafting a forward(Demidov or Lindstrom) so moving up two spots the Hawks might be thinking they can grab either RHD Jiricek or Yakemchuk who ranked around #14 to #17…NHL teams always draft off the board at the middle of first round

Reactions: amnesiac

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Not sure if it was said yet, Oddest thing about this to me is @MMC didn't post it, can anyone do a wellness check?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That’s the not the real question, that answer is easy. The extra second rounder.

The timing is the only question here.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I mean they are prob getting a similar tier player that they woulda got at 18 and 50.... and they are adding a mid 2nd. You can prob argue the value of the guy they pick at 61 being similar to the guy they woulda picked at 50. So basically getting 2 guys for 1 in the 2nd...... and only dropping 2 spots in the 1st.
I think its pretty good/smart trade for a team that has limited prospect pool.
Except that this is thought to be a very weak draft. #50 may not be an NHLer but likely a better chance than 54 or 61.
Also, if your scouts rated the players at the top of the draft would you rather have their 18th choice or the 20th.
For the cost of (in this weak draft) a guy not likely to ever see the NHL.
Evidently the Isles need bodies … quantity over quality. Chicago is the exact opposite.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Even more thrilled with this trade now. With the way the draft fell I feel Eiserman would have been the pick at 18 anyway and we get an extra 2nd and still get our guy.

Some people aren’t thrilled CHI took Boisvert but I love that pick for them.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Even more thrilled with this trade now. With the way the draft fell I feel Eiserman would have been the pick at 18 anyway and we get an extra 2nd and still get our guy.

I’m good with sacha. That’s pretty much why they did this trade

Reactions: SI90

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I like Boisvert too, but I think we both could have gotten our guys in our respective positions but we get an extra second so I’m pleased

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad