Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CHI] #18 and #50 for #20, #54, and #61 (ALL '24 Picks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Wow Incredible how squirrely people are getting over Davidson moving an inconsequential #61 to move up twice (In premium rounds) . Blackhawks have the 67th and 72 picks which are basically the same thing as #61 when you get this far down in a talent pool. Hawks are going to be in trouble with an overflowing prospect pool unless more of this goes on . Davidson had three first-rounders and two second-rounders in 2022, two first-rounders and three second-rounders in 2023 and will have two first-rounders and two second-rounders this year. Ten of those 14 picks will be in the top 50, too.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hawks will run out of contracts if they keep their picks this year and next.
No they won't because not every prospect will make it. Detroit was drafting from 9 to as high as 12 picks per year for multiple years and haven't come close to running out of contracts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems pretty strange to get that specific, especially in this draft. You have no idea what the teams will do ahead of you on draft day.
That and teams haven’t even finalized their rankings yet.

Seems they want to move up even more to me

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Is Kyle Davidson related to Kyle Dubas? I don't understand moving up 2 spots in the first rd is worth the currency of a 2nd rd pick. Not unless one is Nostradamus and the player you want is sitting right at #18. Why do this now? Clear Win for Lou Lamoriello on that basis whether he drafts or trades the pick, the Isles have more currency after the trade than before it.
What does this have to do with Kyle Dubas?

Doing it early is weird, but paying a second to move up in the first is pretty par for the course.
Sometimes it's a 3rd if it's a late first. Sometimes it's a second plus another mid-to-late pick.
It's pretty easy precedent to follow and not one created by Davidson nor Dubas.

Giving up an extra second to break into a top-20 first round selection (plus minor upgrade on another second pick) is not the weird part of this trade.

[In fact, Dubas has done this (trading up) exactly once in his career ( 2020: 137 for 153 & 212). By comparison he's traded back 4 times (2023: 91 & 25 for 90; 2022: 95 & 135 for 79; 2020: 59 & 64 for 44; 2018: 29 & 76 for 25)]

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Is Kyle Davidson related to Kyle Dubas? I don't understand moving up 2 spots in the first rd is worth the currency of a 2nd rd pick. Not unless one is Nostradamus and the player you want is sitting right at #18. Why do this now? Clear Win for Lou Lamoriello on that basis whether he drafts or trades the pick, the Isles have more currency after the trade than before it.
Makes no sense skippy

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
The front office must've been bored this morning. I don't have any other explanation

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
honestly i think the main reason why Chicago would make a trade like this is because they plan on moving #18 to move up again, there's probably someone they really like/think is gonna be available in the early teens or something?

or maybe there's a group of players that they really really like and it drops off after X pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueswin

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
honestly i think the main reason why Chicago would make a trade like this is because they plan on moving #18 to move up again, there's probably someone they really like/think is gonna be available in the early teens or something?

or maybe there's a group of players that they really really like and it drops off after X pick
I think it’s the former. On top of 18, they also have the Leafs first next year as well as a gaggle of second round picks in the future.

Davidson should throw those two firsts and a second on the table and see who bites. If he can get to ten or near it, they might be able to walk away with Demidov and a top defenseman.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
No they won't because not every prospect will make it. Detroit was drafting from 9 to as high as 12 picks per year for multiple years and haven't come close to running out of contracts.
No Just take a look at those Dandies , Brady Cleveland Dylan James , Theodor Niederbach , Cross Hanas , Robert Mastrosimone ,Albert Johansson ,Antti Tuomisto . All ripening ,lol , i knew i smelt something

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Seems obvious Chicago thinks there is a drop off point after 18 (the first I’ve heard of a drop off point there in this draft but sure 🤷) …but seems like that drop off existentially can’t give you that much bigger odds of hitting + what if your guy is going to be there at 20 anyways?!

Agree given all that it appears to be a bit weird overpay
1st off it’s a very minor overpay by Chicago.
Then I’m sure at 20OA their scouts put together a list of guys they hoped would still be there. If it was a group of 4 or 5 and they hoped 1 would fall to to 20. If they really liked 2 of them this greatly increases their odds of getting one.
I do not understand NYI’s view. It appears (per fans here) that they lack prospects throughout the system. But to (likely) risk losing who you could have taken at 18 which in most cases is an NHLer to get a possible lesser NHLer and an AHL/ECHL tweener (picks 50 to 70 likely path based on history and this is a weaker draft.

Reactions: Blueswin

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Are the Islanders adding ammo to sweeten the pot for a potential Nik Ehlers trade?

Jets while trying to compete wouldn’t deal solely for picks, but probably would like to replenish some picks they’ve moved in the past couple seasons.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
My guess: Lou is going on feels, and Chicago’s algorithm said “ya, do it.”

Seriously, that’s all it is. Old school matching new school. I.. hope they both lose, but best luck to their picks with their 2nd teams.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I think it’s the former. On top of 18, they also have the Leafs first next year as well as a gaggle of second round picks in the future.

Davidson should throw those two firsts and a second on the table and see who bites. If he can get to ten or near it, they might be able to walk away with Demidov and a top defenseman.
No one is trading out of the top 12 back to 18 - that is for sure where an agreed upon big drop off exists amongst almost all the draft prognosticators

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
In a vacuum it's a great deal for the Islanders but I'm assuming this leads to another trade because of the weird timing and nature of it.

No clue what Chicago get's out of it.

Reactions: uncleben

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
61OA is a very late 2nd. Relatively unexepensive if you think there are high gaps in talents around 18-20 and then improves your situation slightly at 50.

Maybe the deal is a reaction to last year s 1st round where no trade was made, i.e. CHI feared they could not pull it off on the draft floor.

I would not be surprised if either the 20OA or the 54 and 61 are moved by the Isles.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hawks will run out of contracts if they keep their picks this year and next.

Purely speculating without knowing the number of contracts Chicago has signed, but I'd imagine with the number of picks they've had over the past few years - and have this year - the Hawks determined that they would not be able to sign them all.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Let’s not try and comment when the biggest signings in New Jersey are Sheldon Keefe, Kurtis MacDermid and the legalization of left hand turns (making jug handles extinct).

Would love to be able to defend the Devils but have nothing.

Analytics. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad