NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
the arena isn't properly fitted to host hockey, I'm still concerned about JT's knee and everyone else should be as well until we see him back in usual JT form and in what world did snow pull off good trades?

I've been to the arena in many different setups including hockey. It will be fine. There is just going to be a premium for the best seats. Additional enhancements will be done as well.

People need to quit whining about BC. The team is NEVER going back to Nassau. The teams valuation is tied to being in NYC, not Nassau (old arena, new arena).

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
What's the franchise WORTH?

Now add in the BST, the cable deal, the NHL revenue sharing, the Marriott, etc.

But I guess what you're saying is that since clearly all you've said all along is that milk was worth more than $3.49/gal, your grocery receipt proves it. {just ignore the frozen burgers, butter and vegetables}:nod:

Did they overpay? I'd bet they did.

OTH, mind sharing the evidence that the Marriott was part of the deal? It has zero value to the new owners absent Wang trying to unload all his garbage in one sale.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I've been to the arena in many different setups including hockey. It will be fine. There is just going to be a premium for the best seats. Additional enhancements will be done as well.

People need to quit whining about BC. The team is NEVER going back to Nassau. The teams valuation is tied to being in NYC, not Nassau (old arena, new arena).

Gotta say, 100% agree. Nassau was fun while it lasted but the ship has sailed. From a guy who lives 20 min from NVMC, I am perfectly fine with Brooklyn being the home of the team. For me, easily accessible from work on weekday games and doable on the weekends.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
548 million?!?.......if you were to tell me a year ago that the islanders would sell for half a billion, I wouldn't have belived you..Looks like I was wrong when I said "there is no way in hell wang gets the money he wants, someone would have to be crazy to pay that kind of money for a team that has been losing money since the beginning of time" well, I guess he found that crazy person.

I mean, wasn't the team valued by forbes for like ~197 million? Freaking wang got nearly triple the value. I bet he made his money back--and then some--with the sale.

I just hope these new guys are at least moderately better then wang, and we dont have a milstien and glukstern situation. Part of me is scared of this scenaro happining: " well since we overpaid for this team, and the revenue isnt there , we're going to have to run a tighter budget than wang if we want to squeeze any profjt out of this venture.

scott99

May 13, 2005

I actually LOVE the arena. been to last year's hockey game, a basketball game, and a concert. Top notch arena, GREAT food choices, parking lots near by. Good restaurants around the arena, and easy to get to via mass transit and driving from LI or Queens.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
What's the franchise WORTH?

Now add in the BST, the cable deal, the NHL revenue sharing, the Marriott, etc.

But I guess what you're saying is that since clearly all you've said all along is that milk was worth more than $3.49/gal, your grocery receipt proves it. {just ignore the frozen burgers, butter and vegetables}:nod:

Did they overpay? I'd bet they did.

LOL :laugh:

Why don't you add in Wang's Oyster Bay residence and JT's first son to the purchase agreement?

You'll say anything rather than admit when you're wrong. Marriot is not included in the sale (your twisted logic put it there). Of course the Cable Deal is a part of the sale. Who buys a Sports Team and not expect to get a penny from their TV rights deal? Do you think Forbes valued them without the Cable Deal? Revenue sharing fluctuates remember in Brooklyn the NYI will no longer be a low income team (or as low as in Nassau) so the 15 million check or whatever they got may be gonzo after the 2015-2016 season.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Unless you're trying to prevent Charles Wang Minority Owner nightmares. However the SoundTigers Team (not including arena) are worth at least 300 million dollars (according to Forbes). So you are right!! No more nightmares for you!!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
OTH, mind sharing the evidence that the Marriott was part of the deal? It has zero value to the new owners absent Wang trying to unload all his garbage in one sale.

Just speculation.....this Pinto is priced as a Rolls.

I'm sure the BST is likely in it, the cable deal, etc.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
LOL :laugh:

Why don't you add in Wang's Oyster Bay residence and JT's first son to the purchase agreement?

You'll say anything rather than admit when you're wrong. Marriot is not included in the sale (your twisted logic put it there). Of course the Cable Deal is a part of the sale. Who buys a Sports Team and not expect to get a penny from their TV rights deal? Do you think Forbes valued them without the Cable Deal? Revenue sharing fluctuates remember in Brooklyn the NYI will no longer be a low income team (or as low as in Nassau) so the 15 million check or whatever they got may be gonzo after the 2015-2016 season.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Unless you're trying to prevent Charles Wang Minority Owner nightmares. However the SoundTigers Team (not including arena) are worth at least 300 million dollars (according to Forbes). So you are right!! No more nightmares for you!!
So you admit the sale price includes the franchise value PLUS extra assets? And would that mean he got more than fair value? So Forbes was wrong? {funny since Forbes is involved with the purchasing team}

Your post which I responded to was drivel......and your reply above is just as expected.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...st-get-down-to-the-hockey-business-1.9100879?

"The one huge reason is that this time, the buyers know they are getting only a hockey team and not a real estate bonanza. Say what you will about the move to Brooklyn next year -- and there is a reasonable argument that the Islanders really won't be the Islanders anymore -- but at least everybody knows the deal is done. Jon Ledecky and his former Harvard roommate, Scott Malkin, when they take majority control in two years, will not have one eye (or both eyes) on trying to develop the land around Nassau Coliseum. They will be in the hockey business, period."

This cannot be emphasized enough. The last two owners bought the team in order to capitalize on what they thought would be a lucrative development deal with the County/Town regarding the "Nassau Hub". Ledecky and Malkin bought a hockey franchise and nothing more.

BroadwayJay*

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...st-get-down-to-the-hockey-business-1.9100879?

"The one huge reason is that this time, the buyers know they are getting only a hockey team and not a real estate bonanza. Say what you will about the move to Brooklyn next year -- and there is a reasonable argument that the Islanders really won't be the Islanders anymore -- but at least everybody knows the deal is done. Jon Ledecky and his former Harvard roommate, Scott Malkin, when they take majority control in two years, will not have one eye (or both eyes) on trying to develop the land around Nassau Coliseum. They will be in the hockey business, period."

This cannot be emphasized enough. The last two owners bought the team in order to capitalize on what they thought would be a lucrative development deal with the County/Town regarding the "Nassau Hub". Ledecky and Malkin bought a hockey franchise and nothing more.

These words are beautiful.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

That is a refreshing change.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks ! Hopefully we can join the Bruins as one of the model franchises in the NHL.

Thank you. We went through some awful years but eventually Jeremy Jacobs realized he needed new management & he went out and got it. Five years later we won our first Cup in 39 years.

It can be done and the Isles have some good young players. It will be great to have another competitive team in the NHL.

I remember the Islander dynasty of the early 80s [yes I'm old lol]. You had some truly legendary players in Trottier, Smith, Potvin etc.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
So here's my question. We now have two VERY wealthy people with some actual hockey background at the helm of this team. How does this change the Barclay's arena situation now? Specifically the seating.

I would expect that unlike Wang, these two guys are gonna have a lot of pride and care about all aspects of this team. With how much money they have, is it possible we see some moves made and even them throwing in financial support for changes to the Barclay's seating to make it a real hockey setup?

I can't imagine they will be at all happy with the mess that is the weird/obstructed view seating at the short end of the building when the ice is down. And of course more seats, and good ones, leads to more revenue. If these guys are here for the long haul, it would make sense and be in their best interests to invest time and money into making some improvements on that front, right? I suppose this will be something addressed when they begin to publicly discuss their new ownership of the team.

Seattle...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The first real owner since Pickett. I just wish Wang was gone. As long as he is around the chance something stupid happens... Too high.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
On vacation from work backpacking it upstate for the past few days.. Got to a top of a mountain checked my phone figuring I would have service, got the news and started screaming for joy!

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thank you. We went through some awful years but eventually Jeremy Jacobs realized he needed new management & he went out and got it. Five years later we won our first Cup in 39 years.

It can be done and the Isles have some good young players. It will be great to have another competitive team in the NHL.

I remember the Islander dynasty of the early 80s [yes I'm old lol]. You had some truly legendary players in Trottier, Smith, Potvin etc.

Yes, those were wonderful years for us geezer Islander's fans. I was actually at a playoff game between the Islanders and the Bruins in May of 1980, when Terry O'Reilly and Clark Gillies went at it 2 times, as well as other brawls in that game, I believe a young future GM of the Islanders (ryhmes with Dingleberry) fought Duane Sutter.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

Praise the lord!!! That's what it should be about, NOT REAL ESTATE!!!!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He may treat them well, BUT, he's done NOTHING to try to make the players around them better by adding key pieces to the puzzle. He may not nickle and dime the players he currently has, but he wasn't willing to spend on the team for years, and was willing to accept mediocrity for years.

Would somebody tell me how Charles Wang has been good for the Islanders fans over the last 14 years. It seems to have escaped me.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
TV. Sports is the only thing left that people watch live and don't DVR through the commercials (or download with no commercials).

That is why sports franchises are exploding in value.

82 games x ~4hrs (pre, game, post) = 328 hrs of live event programming a year. Throw in playoffs...

That's why the valuations are going through the roof. Especially in a big TV market like NY.

What's the next NYI cable deal look like if they are firmly entrenched in Brooklyn? It will be huge.

I think the next frontier in sports broadcasting will be teams streaming their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad