Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Calgary used to be about 10% more than Edmonton (when comparing similar properties and parts of town), now 40% (maybe more even?). Have met a lot of people from out of province that moved there briefly and quickly came up here when they found it unaffordable. Calgary's market was the biggest outlier while every other was slow when the rates started to rocket up

Summerside is a pretty popular area, anything under $500K (especially under $400K) is pretty much multiple offer bidding wars right now throughout the city though (even parts that are generally seen as not as popular). You'll find something, might take a few tries though so don't get discouraged :)

I'm driving back up tomorrow. I've been at it since March so its getting very tiring.
We're really in the High 5's low 6's bracket though I did bid high 6's for that one I mentioned.

You'll have a hard time finding much under 7 in Calgary now. I saw literal TRASH sell for 600K ( in the south ). Seems like its in the 725-850 range atm ( again, for the south )

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goal 1,2, 4, 5. All bad. For shame.

There isn't a game that exists where a goalie doesn't make some stops. calling them big is kind of hyperbole. This was another game where an opponent had multiple goals on Skinner on plays that were not even dangerous plays.

The main reason the score was 4-3 and not say 4-1 was Skinner. All kinds of teams get good backstopping performances when they are not playing to their best. A 4-1 lead in playoffs agaisnt a club that has had trouble scoring in playoffs should be enough.

Skinner is the great slump buster. Think about the Nucks only getting 13 goals in whole series against Saros. Pump 5 by Skinner in first game.
Goal 1 wasn’t on Skinner. A perfect shot bank to a Wide open Joshua at the side of the net. Bang bang play that Skinner had no chance on cause he was playing the shot. Sometimes teams just make a play, in this case a perfect play. The question you should ask is why Joshua is wide open at the side of net. And watch Ceci on this play, off the faceoff he hangs around the faceoff circle, then needs to rush back to cover Joshua in a panic and doesn’t get there.

Goal 2 Ceci slow to react to support the corner play. Nurse doesn’t cover the net front slot. Banks off Skinners stick that yeh, probably shouldn’t have been positioned in a way where that could go in. Lots of blame to go around on this one. Some to Skinner yes.

Goal 3 perfect tip and Nurse sleeping. Can’t blame Skinner here.

Goal 4 I thought Skinner was screened on initial look. You can see Vinny confused as to where to position and when he finally makes a decision on what to do, he pivots right through Skinners sight line. Vinny even looked to the sky as if he f***ed up. There may have also been a slight tip off Perry’s leg. That said, from that distance I could see wanting Skinner to make that save. Possible with a more aggressive challenge he would have cause the puck squeezed over the pad and under the glove. I’d put this on Stu and our D for screening him.

Goal 5 I’m putting on Stu all day long. And surprise surprise it’s the goal Stu says he’d like back and he made a mistake on.

You’re right there isn’t a game where a goalie doesn’t make big stops. You just don’t count skinners big stops. Goal 2 by the way happened with 3 mins to go in the 2nd. And before goal 1 happened Skinner made 2 big saves: breakaway, and blocker side on uncontested snipe. After goal 1 he also made some solid saves.

So essentially two full periods are played and Stu is at 2 goals against. I very much doubt the team was playing “nervous” this game. It was going exactly how they wanted for 40-50 minutes. The real back breakers happened in period 3. So if you want to say the team played nervous in the final 10 sure, I don’t agree with the assessment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm driving back up tomorrow. I've been at it since March so its getting very tiring.
We're really in the High 5's low 6's bracket though I did bid high 6's for that one I mentioned.

You'll have a hard time finding much under 7 in Calgary now. I saw literal TRASH sell for 600K ( in the south ). Seems like its in the 725-850 range atm ( again, for the south )
How long can you wait? How much of current prices are sustainable or at bubble. Real Estate prices have primarily been driven by the mass number of newcomers coming into country greatly exceeding the new build supply or the resale supply. Its a situation that will be changed in 2025. Just saying.

I could see Vancouver and Toronto holding this kind of value. people seem to love those places and lots of speculation still in those markets. I can't see Alberta continuing to be this superheated post 2025.

In anycase in some situations, this one, a prospective buyer is potentially better off just renting. I wouldn't say that in most situations but this one the own vs rental costs are just higher. Way higher.

Not even mentioning questionable quality of some builds today.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yep, I think Connor hasn't been healthy for the regular season too. A guy that's McDavid's level who scored 64 goals last year and then dropping to 32 made me skeptical on his health. There were plenty of games where he looked to pass rather than shoot.
Man that’s a long time for him to be dealing with something that could affect his shooting. And then rest for the playoffs and then another 7 day reset between rounds. For me, I thought his shooting and scoring started downtrending at the tail end of 2 season ago and just continued onto this year. One day I’ll compare his shooting percentage for the first 2 thirds of 2 seasons ago to the last third and see if it happened earlier.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
How long can you wait? How much of current prices are sustainable or at bubble. Real Estate prices have primarily been driven by the mass number of newcomers coming into country greatly exceeding the new build supply or the resale supply. Its a situation that will be changed in 2025. Just saying.

I could see Vancouver and Toronto holding this kind of value. people seem to love those places and lots of speculation still in those markets. I can't see Alberta continuing to be this superheated post 2025.

In anycase in some situations, this one, a prospective buyer is potentially better off just renting. I wouldn't say that in most situations but this one the own vs rental costs are just higher. Way higher.

Not even mentioning questionable quality of some builds today.

Its a this year or not at all sort of thing. Kids are at that right age.

Not only that but with everything heating up, the interior is becoming a summer of
smoke, and stress plus the wife has always wanted to live in a City.

Prices are ok. I'd be trading off pretty equally to what I have now. That's why I moved away from looking at Calgary. I don't want to go into 7's and 8's. I just need a little luck
to bid without some other asshole stepping on it haha.

I'm trying to find something a touch older. Don't love the new stuff so much. As a tradesman I know how today's rushed builds tend to go.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Entire bc is considering buying a house in Edmonton. Ironic given all their "you live in Edmonton!" jibes.

I would have liked Calgary a bit more, but I never had an issue.
The Interior is getting pretty hot, and bad with fires, and smoke last few years.
It is a very beautiful place ( though maybe not kamloops haha )

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Man that’s a long time for him to be dealing with something that could affect his shooting. And then rest for the playoffs and then another 7 day reset between rounds. For me, I thought his shooting and scoring started downtrending at the tail end of 2 season ago and just continued onto this year. One day I’ll compare his shooting percentage for the first 2 thirds of 2 seasons ago to the last third and see if it happened earlier.

I just don't think he's fully healthy. Connor always has that extra shift to his gear that makes him more explosive but I've rarely seen it this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its a this year or not at all sort of thing. Kids are at that right age.

Not only that but with everything heating up, the interior is becoming a summer of
smoke, and stress plus the wife has always wanted to live in a City.

Prices are ok. I'd be trading off pretty equally to what I have now. That's why I moved away from looking at Calgary. I don't want to go into 7's and 8's. I just need a little luck
to bid without some other asshole stepping on it haha.
I'd be worried buying now unless price was pretty much no object. These are likely to be bubble prices.

Real estate purchase is a life altering decision. Take your time, don't rush would be my advice. We timed the market ourselves through a 5yr window that we had on buying and were vigilant the whole time. What resulted is us paying 60% of what we would have paid if we bought when we first became motivated to buy.

Unless your job or occupation is specifically linked to Alberta right now is not the best time here either to be buying.

Take with grain of salt as just cautionary advice. Laymans advice. But of course every Real Estate agent ever is going to be telling you theres never a better time to buy than now. So good to hear other views too. This is a sellers market.

Goal 1 wasn’t on Skinner. A perfect shot bank to a Wide open Joshua at the side of the net. Bang bang play that Skinner had no chance on cause he was playing the shot. Sometimes teams just make a play, in this case a perfect play. The question you should ask is why Joshua is wide open at the side of net. And watch Ceci on this play, off the faceoff he hangs around the faceoff circle, then needs to rush back to cover Joshua in a panic and doesn’t get there.

Goal 2 Ceci slow to react to support the corner play. Nurse doesn’t cover the net front slot. Banks off Skinners stick that yeh, probably shouldn’t have been positioned in a way where that could go in. Lots of blame to go around on this one. Some to Skinner yes.

Goal 3 perfect tip and Nurse sleeping. Can’t blame Skinner here.

Goal 4 I thought Skinner was screened on initial look. You can see Vinny confused as to where to position and when he finally makes a decision on what to do, he pivots right through Skinners sight line. Vinny even looked to the sky as if he f***ed up. There may have also been a slight tip off Perry’s leg. That said, from that distance I could see wanting Skinner to make that save. Possible with a more aggressive challenge he would have cause the puck squeezed over the pad and under the glove. I’d put this on Stu and our D for screening him.

Goal 5 I’m putting on Stu all day long. And surprise surprise it’s the goal Stu says he’d like back and he made a mistake on.

You’re right there isn’t a game where a goalie doesn’t make big stops. You just don’t count skinners big stops. Goal 2 by the way happened with 3 mins to go in the 2nd. And before goal 1 happened Skinner made 2 big saves: breakaway, and blocker side on uncontested snipe. After goal 1 he also made some solid saves.

So essentially two full periods are played and Stu is at 2 goals against. I very much doubt the team was playing “nervous” this game. It was going exactly how they wanted for 40-50 minutes. The real back breakers happened in period 3. So if you want to say the team played nervous in the final 10 sure, I don’t agree with the assessment.
No fault Skinner.

Really would you ever say Skinner has had a bad game?

Its everybodies fault but Skinner...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I just don't think he's fully healthy. Connor always has that extra shift to his gear that makes him more explosive but I've rarely seen it this season.
Yeh I could see that if your talking skating and explosiveness, and not pure shooting. It has been a long time since he downright blew past a defender… his top end speed isn’t as threatening as we’ve seen in the past. We used to see and be able to see the evolution of his breakaway moves. Remember all the different go to moves he cycled through in breakaways. Now I don’t even know if I could tell you what his go to move is these days cause he rarely gets breakaways.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh I could see that if your talking skating and explosiveness, and not pure shooting. It has been a long time since he downright blew past a defender… his top end speed isn’t as threatening as we’ve seen in the past. We used to see and be able to see the evolution of his breakaway moves. Remember all the different go to moves he cycled through in breakaways. Now I don’t even know if I could tell you what his go to move is these days cause he rarely gets breakaways.

Yeah exactly. I don't know if it has to do with his opponents or could he be switching the way he plays for whatever reason. But regardless, Connor has to play at his best for this team to succeed. Still makes me wish we at least acquired a legitimate top 6 scoring winger or a top four D man. My worry was going through the post season again with those weaknesses, but Holland decided to go full 'bandaid' mode to heal a much more deeper hole. I sincerely can't wait until that piece of shit is out of this organization at the end of this hockey season.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd be worried buying now unless price was pretty much no object. These are likely to be bubble prices.

Real estate purchase is a life altering decision. Take your time, don't rush would be my advice. We timed the market ourselves through a 5yr window that we had on buying and were vigilant the whole time. What resulted is us paying 60% of what we would have paid if we bought when we first became motivated to buy.

Unless your job or occupation is specifically linked to Alberta right now is not the best time here either to be buying.

Take with grain of salt as just cautionary advice. Laymans advice. But of course every Real Estate agent ever is going to be telling you theres never a better time to buy than now. So good to hear other views too. This is a sellers market.

No fault Skinner.

I just said he had a bad game. And I said he had a bad game in the LA series too.

On goaltending we will never agree. Cause you think nearly every single goal he lets in is a bad goal. Like perfect cross crease one timers into empty nets you’re blaming on Skinner, whereas not a coach or pro goalie in the world would blame themselves for. I do blame Skinner when he deserves it and usually it’s in line with what a coach or Skinner himself would say and admit to wanting back. Like Goal 5 tonight where he specifically blamed himself for. And yet on other nights around here you blame skinner for not blaming himself ever, which only looks that way to you because to you he’s at fault for every goal against .

Like losses are death by a thousand cuts. Goals against are too. There’s usually more than one mistake on a play, it’s not always only the goalies fault. I like to analyze our teams defence as well as goaltending, so to you that may seem like I’m blaming everyone but him, but to me that’s just me trying to figure out what the hell went wrong on a play.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBandJ

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

No fault Skinner.

yah, I'm aware, I bought this place during a sellers market too.
I have been very careful about not going crazy with what we're looking at, and that's why we've been looking since march because we're being picky, and we're not overbidding.

Staying in a small place ( 1600 sq feet, total ) with 2 kids just isn't an option anymore, and to get into a bigger place would cost a lot more. Even here, it'll cost me at least 250K more just to get a place from the 70's that needs work. Not a great option. That or, I can get a place traded equally across that can get me closer to double what I have now, plus a bunch newer and everything done, in single detached, and a happy wife. Easy choice.

Plus my daughter can play in a girls league with more than 1 team, awesome. I can be among me fellow oilers fans, awesome. I can play more hockey, awesome haha. There might actually be places and things to do haha. Actual festivities and such ... Lots of positives.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah exactly. I don't know if it has to do with his opponents or could he be switching the way he plays for whatever reason. But regardless, Connor has to play at his best for this team to succeed. Still makes me wish we at least acquired a legitimate top 6 scoring winger or a top four D man. My worry was going through the post season again with those weaknesses, but Holland decided to go full 'bandaid' mode to heal a much more deeper hole. I sincerely can't wait until that piece of shit is out of this organization at the end of this hockey season.
Yeh we’re seeing it the same then. I think too if you look up NHL edge skating stats it probably would show this too. Like Mcleod grades as a higher top speed ffs. And I bet MacK is leading the way for most top speed bursts.

And your preaching to the choir on the TDL moves. I just don’t want to talk about that too much to support the team we have, not the team I wanted. But I agree, we needed a top 6 wing and a top 4 RD to replace Ceci. Still think that would have been the optimal improvements to the team, doesn’t mean the Henrique and Carrick can’t also work… if they can get themselves back in the line up…

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
yah, I'm aware, I bought this place during a sellers market too.
I have been very careful about not going crazy with what we're looking at, and that's why we've been looking since march because we're being picky, and we're not overbidding.

Staying in a small place ( 1600 sq feet, total ) with 2 kids just isn't an option anymore, and to get into a bigger place would cost a lot more. Even here, it'll cost me at least 250K more just to get a place from the 70's that needs work. Not a great option. That or, I can get a place traded equally across that can get me closer to double what I have now, plus a bunch newer and everything done, in single detached, and a happy wife. Easy choice.

Plus my daughter can play in a girls league with more than 1 team, awesome. I can be among me fellow oilers fans, awesome. I can play more hockey, awesome haha. There might actually be places and things to do haha. Actual festivities and such ... Lots of positives.
You might want to look in areas that are not as hotly priced. You mentioned you don't mind houses that are not new. You save a lot looking at builds from say 1980-2000. I stay away from older than that due to asbestos and older wiring. Codes since 1980 don't involved these problems. This age of homes makes Millwoods an option. Some affordable houses and every area except Millbourne area is pretty good.

I'm seeing a fair amount of houses in your price range. I live in Millwoods and would recommend most of it. Especially for families. Good luck.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh we’re seeing it the same then. I think too if you look up NHL edge skating stats it probably would show this too. Like Mcleod grades as a higher top speed ffs. And I bet MacK is leading the way for most top speed bursts.

And your preaching to the choir on the TDL moves. I just don’t want to talk about that too much to support the team we have, not the team I wanted. But I agree, we needed a top 6 wing and a top 4 RD to replace Ceci. Still think that would have been the optimal improvements to the team, doesn’t mean the Henrique and Carrick can’t also work… if they can get themselves back in the line up…

I'm not really that much a fan of both Henrique and Carrick, but Henrique (assuming he's good to go) would definitely slot Janmark back tf down and Carrick's grit and faceoff % looks needed for this team after tonight's loss. Something needs to be done about Nurse and Ceci though. Getting real tired of watching them turn over the puck, having no ability to move/transition the puck consistently, and making defensive brain cramps of a rookie dman. I don't care how well loved Ceci is in the room. He sucks defensively. Nurse? Biggest boat anchor of a contract on this team.

I'd play Stecher but I know it won't happen. Team's pretty much in the 'live by the sword, die by the sword' with 25/5.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not really that much a fan of both Henrique and Carrick, but Henrique (assuming he's good to go) would definitely slot Janmark back tf down and Carrick's grit and faceoff % looks needed for this team after tonight's loss. Something needs to be done about Nurse and Ceci though. Getting real tired of watching them turn over the puck, having no ability to move/transition the puck consistently, and making defensive brain cramps of a rookie dman. I don't care how well loved Ceci is in the room. He sucks defensively. Nurse? Biggest boat anchor of a contract on this team.

I'd play Stecher but I know it won't happen. Team's pretty much in the 'live by the sword, die by the sword' with 25/5.
I view Henrique as like a Nuge lite. A smart and experienced player that knows exactly where he’s sposed to be and will make the right decision with his puck touches at a high clip. But won’t drive play or make much individually impactful plays. A Nuge lite is fine as an addition I guess, but I would have rolled the dice on someone maybe riskier but could drive more play individually.

Carrick is just okay. 4th line guy that works hard and good at faceoffs. Brings okay size and grit. Nothing too special like most 4th liners and I said before the playoffs that he’s not far off from being replaceable. And then 37 year old Ryan takes his spot.

Yeh agree on Nurse on Ceci. One of my big issues with them is their slowness to respond and react to plays. With Ceci it’s super apparent he processes the game at a slower clip. With Nurse when his game is on he can be proactive and make some good plays/step ups but seems to disappear entirely in big games where he just looks paralyzed out there and it translates into slow brained plays.

Reactions: McAsuno

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
You might want to look in areas that are not as hotly priced. You mentioned you don't mind houses that are not new. You save a lot looking at builds from say 1980-2000. I stay away from older than that due to asbestos and older wiring. Codes since 1980 don't involved these problems. This age of homes makes Millwoods an option. Some affordable houses and every area except Millbourne area is pretty good.

I'm seeing a fair amount of houses in your price range. I live in Millwoods and would recommend most of it. Especially for families. Good luck.

Ya, I wanted to check one out in Gariepy, but its pending. There was a nice in in Blackburn that also went pending, another in Bulyea, I think. So we're looking around. Mostly the South, a little in the west end there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Good grief. Watching this part again annoys me. Nurse f***ing stinks.

hated that play live. Looks even worse on replay, as Nurse had an open short pass option where we could have skated that puck out. Instead he does this attempted weak bank off the boards. Like even if it gets through the 2 nucks it’s still going to get picked up and turned right back into our zone .

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

Good to know about Millwoods. I heard someone talk about every area outside of millwoods being good in the south.

Someone even mentioned it getting a nickname "killwoods" and I was like .... uhhh,
So I just mapped Millbourne, that's the north west side of Millwood?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
hated that play live. Looks even worse on replay, as Nurse had an open short pass option where we could have skated that puck out. Instead he does this attempted weak bank off the boards. Like even if it gets through the 2 nucks it’s still going to get picked up and turned right back into our zone .
That was one of the lowest IQ plays I may have ever seen by a defenseman. There is simply zero reason to not clear the zone on that play.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

It's incredible how low his hockey IQ is. Just seems it gets even lower every year. If Mitch Marner is considered detrimental to the leafs, then Nurse is the equivalent with the Oilers. I'm beyond tired of watching him and Ceci.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That was one of the lowest IQ plays I may have ever seen by a defenseman. There is simply zero reason to not clear the zone on that play.
Yeh it’s friggin bad. His hockey Iq isn’t great in general, but it gets even worse in big games. I kept calling him sleepy and lacksadaisical tonight. I really think the big games, paralyzes his decision making. It’s tough to see and think we will survive these playoffs with him playing like that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's incredible how low his hockey IQ is. Just seems it gets even lower every year. If Mitch Marner is considered detrimental to the leafs, then Nurse is the equivalent with the Oilers. I'm beyond tired of watching him and Ceci.
It’s painful seeing this year in year out. Maybe even worse this year cause our 1st pair and 3rd pair get their jobs done. And the 2nd pair just tanks the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad