Confirmed Trade: [NSH/PIT] Jordan Frasca for Cody Glass, MIN '25 3rd, '26 6th

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Oh come on, this about the 15th time Pittsburgh acquires a lesser NHL player and people comment "He'll do AMAZING playing with Crosby or Malkin!" Seems they all go there to die....How did Reilly Smith do last year? Kapanen? Puljujarvi? etc. etc.
They do well until they get Sullivan'd.

But honestly, the ones you picked are explainable. Kapanen potted 30pts in 40gp in 2020 when he first got here. Then he got Sullivaned. Puljujarvi was never going to play with Sid or Malkin. He was a 4th liner. Smith did very well with Malkin and Rakell early in the year. Then he slowly faded.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
In this thread:

1. A million unoriginal referenes to Fresca soda.

2. Like 50 Habs fans who have to immediately say, 'what about me!!!" by noting that their first line center was actually a consolation prize when Vegas wouldn't part with Glass. Isn't that interesting? Sure, I already knew it, and sure, it's been said by 40 other comments, but 'what about me!!!"

On topic:

The confidence/assertiveness I think is the biggest issue. He was so rattled by missing so many games with rookie year injuries, you could tell after that point he was playing too tentatively. He needed a sports psychologist between his rookie and sophomore seasons. And it's all because management insisted on playing him when he wasn't physically ready playing on his off position on a third line with Cody Eakin who had become a turnover machine and having to try to take the puck away from much bigger bottom 6 grinders.

Vegas didn't really do him and his mental state any favors making him ride the pressbox for huge stretches of the following season when he was on a two way deal and their AHL club was a 20-40 minute drive away. They could've kept him coming up to NHL practices while getting AHL starts, but instead he missed a ton of game time for seemingly no reason at all when he could have been playing top line minutes for the farm team and working on his pro game/recapturing his lost confidence.

By the time Vegas finally decided to let him get some hockey games in with the AHL team, he understandably looked defeated and unmotivated. Feels like it's been an uphill battle for him ever since. Like sure, on some level the drive just has to come from the player but the way Vegas treated his "development" was a bad joke. He had the vision, passing and hockey IQ to at least be a very serviceable second line center, or at least it seemed that way when he was a prospect. Before he finally got his NHL shot, he looked poised to have a very promising career and he looked worthy of the 6th overall selection.

Hell, my personal viewings, I thought Glass showed more promise than Suzuki who looked terrified of activating off the perimeter to get closer to traffic and I was not the least bit upset that Suzuki went to Montreal instead of Glass. Hindsight is obviously what it is, but I think Vegas really bungled his development. Hague, Whitecloud, and Thompson are really about the only prospects Vegas has developed properly.

Glass seems like a guy who hasn't quite cottoned on to thinking of himself as an NHLer. There are guys who never acquire the feeling that they DESERVE to be out there lining up against the guys they grew up watching. I always thought I saw a bit of that in Kyle Turris, especially before he broke through, where it was like he had all the talent in the world and could dominate at any other level, but didn't feel like he deserved to be there.

I hope Glass figures it out and has a long career.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I can't believe Nashville couldn't get something for Glass, or give him away without paying to dump him.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
They do well until they get Sullivan'd.

But honestly, the ones you picked are explainable. Kapanen potted 30pts in 40gp in 2020 when he first got here. Then he got Sullivaned. Puljujarvi was never going to play with Sid or Malkin. He was a 4th liner. Smith did very well with Malkin and Rakell early in the year. Then he slowly faded.
Or maybe, just maybe, acquiring the 30th straight "heart and soul" "plays the right way" "gets to our game" style player isn't the right move for this roster?

The Penguins are incapable of assembling a team independent of Sullivan's clubhouse.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Or maybe, just maybe, acquiring the 30th straight "heart and soul" "plays the right way" "gets to our game" style player isn't the right move for this roster?

The Penguins are incapable of assembling a team independent of Sullivan's clubhouse.
Indeed. In a vacuum though, I get why they would be interested in taking on Glass if they are getting a 3rd and a 6th back.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Indeed. In a vacuum though, I get why they would be interested in taking on Glass if they are getting a 3rd and a 6th back.
But that's the issue here - this move is only good in a vacuum. It's not good when assessing how all the other cap space has been used this offseason, or when considering the actual needs of the team.

This team somehow managed a way to find itself even more cooked than the Hextall years. What a bleak offseason for the Pens for real.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
But that's the issue here - this move is only good in a vacuum. It's not good when assessing how all the other cap space has been used this offseason, or when considering the actual needs of the team.

This team somehow managed a way to find itself even more cooked than the Hextall years. What a bleak offseason for the Pens for real.
Slow down a minute. It’s August. What did you really expect them to be able to do with that cap space? You can bemoan the other things they have done this offseason, but utilizing a little bit of cap that they weren’t going to be able to use to pick up a young player with potential upside and a couple of draft picks is definitely a good move.

Reactions: Ciao

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I disagree with that. Sans the absence of Guentzel, I believe the opening night roster is better than the last year of Hextall and last year's. Penguins are in a transitionary position right now. They will compete as best they can as they collect picks, prospects, and young players. Gone are the days of 1sts for a roster player and big-name free agents or trades.

Signing a guy like Beauvillier or Lizotte who is cheap and you hope rebounds are the kind of moves they should be making. Additionally, taking guys Hayes and Glass for a 2nd, two 3rds, and a 6th is very good use of our cap space.

Reactions: Ciao

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

let's look at it.
1. all our top players have a no move contract. (and getting older)
2. our pipeline was empty
3.our top picks were traded
with nothing to trade, he seems to be doing just fine. imo

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

That's a really short sighted view. Dubas intentionally cooked this roster for 1-2 seasons, in exchange for picks and lotto ticket players that might hit and we keep, might get sold at the deadline, or at worst are gone in a season or two. We will stink this year, we will compete for the layoffs again next, and 26-27 we might make noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Classic Dubas "good in a vacuum" move until you look at the bigger picture and realize the picture kinda stinks.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Crazy how a 25 year old castoff has a chance to be the youngest player on the Pittsburgh roster this year. I don't know if this affects the potential for Samuel Poulin to make the team, or what his potential is even...

Just looking at the Pens roster, I don't how they can compete anymore. Some of their core is a decade removed from their hayday.

With the Coyotes in Utah no longer taking bad or unwanted contracts, at the mercy of the league, seems a little more difficult to move dead weight salaries already. Nashville got away pretty easy with a guy they clearly didn't want or could afford to keep.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Classic Dubas "good in a vacuum" move until you look at the bigger picture and realize the picture kinda stinks.
I don't know how this is a bad trade for the Pens in any way?

If glass totally blows just let him walk next season and you got a 3rd and 6th for a single season. But I do think he will take a spot on the team.

But another way is to waive him. If he doesn't get picked up, about a million will be off the books when he's in the AHL. meaning the pens got paid a 3rd and a 6th for paying 1.5 mil in dead cap space, cap space they didn't have a use for anyway.

So it's hard to see how this is bad in any way, shape or form for the Pens.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Lots of players will be competing for the bottom 6 this year, Dubas wants a better bottom 6 and at least has added some players to upgrade that. Plus he now has extra picks to use. Of course I do expect more off season moves after this year to add nice picks or prospects to rebuild the system. Dubas balancing today and tomorrow is the goal.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Care to leave the personal attacks out of it?

The logic is pretty clear. Move is fine in a vacuum but as part of a bigger picture of team building, cap allocation shows a fundamental weakness.
I mean Glass is just a one year contract, so if he doesn't pan out you just bail on him and move on. In the mean time you pick up a 3rd and a 6th.

On the back side of that, if he does manage to stay healthy and does figure his game out they got paid to take him and he is still a RFA at the end of the season.

The only way that is a bad move is if you had someone to grab with that cap space in the coming season that could 100% improve the team. At this stage of the offseason I have a hard time believing that guy was out there.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad