Proposal: NSH/CAR: Everybody's Talking Marner to Nashville, but...

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Hear me out, because it's hard to balance the value of Necas versus the value of clearing cap, but...

:nashville

Martin Necas (Extended)
Dmitry Orlov

:canes

Conditional 2025 1st Round Pick (Nashville chooses their pick or Tampa's)

Why for Nashville: Acquires a good young Top 6 talent that apparently wants to play center. (Whether he can do it well at the NHL level or not is up for debate) Acquires a LHD to replace McDonagh. He has a huge cap hit but it cheapens the price of acquiring Necas. If they don't want him, his buyout is $2.5M x 2 years.

Why for Carolina: They've got around $30M in cap right now with Guentzel/Jarvis/Pesce/Skjei/Teravainen/Drury as FAs. They can't possibly keep all those guys with $30M in cap. There's already speculation that Necas is on the way out, and moving Orlov with him opens another $7.75M in cap, allowing them to potentially keep everybody in that group.

First round pick isn't ideal for a team competing now, but Carolina can easily turn around and move that for something that helps now. In some ways, this is similar to the Debrincat trade. Nashville, like Detroit, gets to pick which first they send. Carolina, like Detroit with Bertuzzi, turns the pick they acquired around and sends it off for a current asset. (Debrincat)

Now then... Flame away:

Hatred.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd think that moving Orlov to keep everyone else just kinds of shifts the problem around for Carolina rather than actually solving it.

I kind of like it as a Preds fan, tho. ;)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not convinced either of Necas or Orlov are players that are first on my wishlist for the Preds atm, but... for just a 1st round pick that we'll like squander on a player we won't develop properly, it's pretty minimal cost and we get two quality NHLers.

So I couldn't say "no" just on the sticker price. I wouldn't mind shopping around a bit first to see if I couldn't come up with better "solutions" first. But if nothing better materialized, then sure, this is great value even if the players aren't our first choices.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The premise here seems to be that Orlov is a negative value player that is blocking Carolina from doing things they may want to do but I’m not sure that’s the case. Otherwise a late future 1st for extended Necas is sorely lacking.

After a rough start, Orlov’s important steadily grew in the back half of the season and playoffs - and I wouldn’t be so sure that the Canes would rather re-up the back half of a guy like Pesce’s career to a big long-term deal when they can just keep Orlov on the books for one more season to fill a top four role before Nikishin and Morrow ascend. His hit is big but it’s only for one more year and there is flexibility in that.

Plus if they can get Nikishin over this fall - Orlov seems like an ideal mentor from both an on and off ice perspective to help him settle.

The Canes can buyout KK and trade Necas for full value independently without having to “dump” Orlov.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Hear me out, because it's hard to balance the value of Necas versus the value of clearing cap, but...

:nashville

Martin Necas (Extended)
Dmitry Orlov

:canes

Conditional 2025 1st Round Pick (Nashville chooses their pick or Tampa's)

Why for Nashville: Acquires a good young Top 6 talent that apparently wants to play center. (Whether he can do it well at the NHL level or not is up for debate) Acquires a LHD to replace McDonagh. He has a huge cap hit but it cheapens the price of acquiring Necas. If they don't want him, his buyout is $2.5M x 2 years.

Why for Carolina: They've got around $30M in cap right now with Guentzel/Jarvis/Pesce/Skjei/Teravainen/Drury as FAs. They can't possibly keep all those guys with $30M in cap. There's already speculation that Necas is on the way out, and moving Orlov with him opens another $7.75M in cap, allowing them to potentially keep everybody in that group.

First round pick isn't ideal for a team competing now, but Carolina can easily turn around and move that for something that helps now. In some ways, this is similar to the Debrincat trade. Nashville, like Detroit, gets to pick which first they send. Carolina, like Detroit with Bertuzzi, turns the pick they acquired around and sends it off for a current asset. (Debrincat)

Now then... Flame away:

View attachment 874252
Wrong idea for Carolina. We're not trying to get worse in the process of a Necas trade. Looking for "nows" not picks or futures. Not re-signing Skjei unless he takes a team-friendly deal, nor are we moving Orlov unless we re-sign both of Pesce and Skjei.

Our cap moving trades are probably Kotkaniemi and possibly Andersen as he likely is the 1B next year to Kochetkov and the organization sounds like they've lost confidence in him to stay healthy and not get shaky in the playoffs.

Look to the Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton, Ferland, Fox trade for inspiration.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You posted this on ACGM and got quickly rejected. You thought it was a good idea to post here too?

Reactions: DaveG

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Sorry, but badly thought trade offer for Carolina.

1- Carolina will have 4 UFAs among their regular defensemen this year and 3 more next year. So they need MORE defensemen, not less.

2- both these players are worth more than Nashville (or TB) 1st pick, both being playoff teams.

3- Carolina are in win mode now, so they won't trade for picks alone. Worst case scenario, they take a package of late 1st + cheap young quality NHL player + prospect for Necas.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
All of Pesce, Skjei and Slavin will be 30(+) by year’s end and require term to retain (Slavin next Summer). That core has reached its natural conclusion. Time to get younger. Orlov is a bridge to that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Anyone who said they were in favor of this simply wants to take advantage of Carolina.

Necas alone, even without an extension, is worth more than a low first round pick. Extended he's worth much more.

Orlov does not have negative value. He's still a top 4 defenseman with one year left on his deal, which was signed to give Carolina another top 4 defenseman signed this year given that Pesce and Skjei are UFA this summer. Trading him to sign them long-term ignores that he was signed to be a transition player for this very reason.

Adding Orlov to the deal to reduce the return for Necas ignores both the value of Necas and the value of Orlov. This trade is little more than a disingenuous attempt at swindling.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the premise of Marner for Necas would be plausible if they still allowed conditional picks based on resigning.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Because they don't agree with you right?

Just to be clear, I appreciate your passive admission that it wasn't overwhelming disapproval in that thread, as you initially implied.
lol its okay. its a real bad proposal. was then and still is.

i dont see a lot of agreement here either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad