Post-Game Talk: Nov. 2, 2016: Detroit 3 at Philadelphia 4 (OT)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Member when people closed the book on Voracek after he rode an unsustainably low shooting percent & dealt with an injury last year?

Can we bump that thread on the main board please? You know, the one saying Voracek is the biggest anchor contract in the league.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just remember, it's about next season and really about 2019-2020.
Let's see, why has Hextall drafted a bushel full of goalies?
When will the young defensemen arrive, and the young forwards to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines?
This year is about seeing who gets to stay on the island.

It's frustrating, but let's face it, making the playoffs is what gets you excited in Edmonton, our standards are a bit higher.

Mason and Neuwirth are doing a fine job of convincing Hextall NOT to give them a long-term deal. VdV, PEB, Mac, Schultz, Streit, are place holders.

On the other hand, we're adding guys like Luby, fast tough muckers who'll fill out those bottom lines and kill key minutes when it counts.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
40 GF - 41 GA in 11 games. That's crazy.

This team may be frustrating at times, but they sure as hell aren't boring.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just remember, it's about next season and really about 2019-2020.
Let's see, why has Hextall drafted a bushel full of goalies?
When will the young defensemen arrive, and the young forwards to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines?
This year is about seeing who gets to stay on the island.

It's frustrating, but let's face it, making the playoffs is what gets you excited in Edmonton, our standards are a bit higher.

Mason and Neuwirth are doing a fine job of convincing Hextall NOT to give them a long-term deal. VdV, PEB, Mac, Schultz, Streit, are place holders.

On the other hand, we're adding guys like Luby, fast tough muckers who'll fill out those bottom lines and kill key minutes when it counts.

We will never forget because how often you remind us lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So, Raffl is expected to play tomorrow. Lyub can't sit. He just scored, and it's the culmination of a lot of good play (tonight was probably one of his more invisible games tbh). VandeVelde will not sit. Under any circumstances. Especially after scoring his first goal in 55 games. You can't find many players that consistent.

Konecny it is.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I'm curious in which 3 zones MacDonald plays well. Twilight, Demilitarized and ... Friend?

match-game-76-3.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We showed great character to come back and win that game, despite playing like mugs for the vast majority of it. That's the big takeaway and the points are all the really matter ...

But how many times have our players fallen down this year? What is going on with our equipment?
How many turnovers have we coughed up? What is going on with our stickhandling?
How many routine stops have our goaltenders failed to save?

We are ****ting the bed when it comes to fundamental aspects of this sport and I don't understand it. We can blame AMac and VDV and PEB and our other less talented guys for their flaws, but some of these basic errors are squad-wide and brutal.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We showed great character to come back and win that game, despite playing like mugs for the vast majority of it. That's the big takeaway and the points are all the really matter ...

But how many times have our players fallen down this year? What is going on with our equipment?
How many turnovers have we coughed up? What is going on with our stickhandling?
How many routine stops have our goaltenders failed to save?

We are ****ting the bed when it comes to fundamental aspects of this sport and I don't understand it. We can blame AMac and VDV and PEB and our other less talented guys for their flaws, but some of these basic errors are squad-wide and brutal.

100% spot on.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm just surprised VandeVelde had the wherewithal to put his stick down & drive the net. A basic concept in hockey but one he doesn't usually show understanding of. :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Schenn, post-game:

The Flyers forward knew that the hit he laid on Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith looked bad.

"I 1,000 percent didn’t try to hit him. I was trying to get out of his way and avoid contact," Schenn said after the Flyers came back to beat the Red Wings 4-3 in overtime. "I know it probably doesn’t look like that. I seen him swinging at the puck and I’m kind of watching the puck and to be honest I was trying to get out of his way and I hit him in the head by accident."

A big part of why Schenn has a bit of a guilty conscience is that he's a repeat offender by the NHL's standards. He began this season serving a three-game suspension from last year's playoffs when he hit Washington's T.J. Oshie and served a one-game suspension for a hit on Anton Volchenkov in January 2013. He was fined in December 2013 for a cross-check to the head of Kris Versteeg.

"Hopefully they see it from my point of view," Schenn said about feeling like he was behind the 8-ball because of his prior status. "I talked to both officials and they thought the same thing. One hundred percent I tried to avoid it and I’m never going to try to pick a guy when he’s down low playing the puck like that. I’m not that type of player. I’m not trying to do that at all."
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...-schenn-hoping-nhl-sees-hit-his-way/93222984/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm just surprised VandeVelde had the wherewithal to put his stick down & drive the net. A basic concept in hockey but one he doesn't usually show understanding of. :laugh:

He's been putting in extra time with the coaches after practice. Next week they're working on how to do a wrist shot. How exciting.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Lyubimov really stood out that game. He's fast, he plays a good two way game, and he can make some skill plays.

Really happy we pulled that one off.

AMAC was atrocious and I let him know it. Probably won't have a voice tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad