Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This poll isn't about what you want to happen, or what you think should happen, but what you think is going to happen with the Marner situation.

I have no clue on this one, if I was forced to guess I'd say he leaves as a UFA, it feels like a coinflip whether he's on the roster in 26/27 still or not.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This guy is going no where after the whole hockey world is watching McDavid and Drai muster nothing in the cup finals against the Atlantic.

We will continue to build around the amigos, which is the smart thing to do. Oilers aren't going to blow up McDavid-Drai if they get swept.

put it to rest

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still think an 8 x 11.625 contract is probably the best alternative. I know it sounds crazy. But you could still get a win

1.) he gets more than Willy and Petey and takes less. It is. When the dust settles people realize that 12.5% of the cap is a discount. He is a 14% player.

The team has 56 to Fill out a roster after the big 3.

I think this is the best asset management move. Sign him. Pay a bonus or 2 to get the real money down and if it doesn’t work trade him.

2.) frank seravalli has been on fire with his takes that he won’t back down from (lehner/utah) etc. mirtle was saying he was at the combine and all the managers were saying Tre is going to do something. Big. They brought in a new ceo.

So because of that I think he gets dealt. I think frank says they are pushing him hard.

My guess was/is Vegas.

I would prefer to NYI for Dobson/seattle for wright and oleksiak.

If Marner refuses to talk extension I wouldn’t mind Carolina for necas 1 for 1.

They would probably do that to only pay 775k

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I still think an 8 x 11.625 contract is probably the best alternative. I know it sounds crazy. But you could still get a win

1.) he gets more than Willy and Petey and takes less. It is. When the dust settles people realize that 12.5% of the cap is a discount. He is a 14% player.

The team has 56 to Fill out a roster after the big 3.

I think this is the best asset management move. Sign him. Pay a bonus or 2 to get the real money down and if it doesn’t work trade him.

2.) frank seravalli has been on fire with his takes that he won’t back down from (lehner/utah) etc. mirtle was saying he was at the combine and all the managers were saying Tre is going to do something. Big. They brought in a new ceo.

So because of that I think he gets dealt. I think frank says they are pushing him hard.

My guess was/is Vegas.

I would prefer to NYI for Dobson/seattle for wright and oleksiak.

If Marner refuses to talk extension I wouldn’t mind Carolina for necas 1 for 1.

They would probably do that to only pay
i think ferris knows the only way he ll get a raise ,will be in a tax free state ,his raise will be 11 million in vegas florida somewhere where its not taxed
can u imagine if marner s camp was getting the CRA colonoscopy that tavaras is getting

Reactions: arso40

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
i think ferris knows the only way he ll get a raise ,will be in a tax free state ,his raise will be 11 million in vegas florida somewhere where its not taxed
can u imagine if marner s camp was getting the CRA colonoscopy that tavaras is getting

It’s possible. I post on my phone. So it refreshes but I think what needs to happen is we as a group go through all teams and see if there would be a fit In terms of assets/him willing to sign

Anaheim- easy. They want to take a step. Want a top 6 right shot winger. Have young pieces. Good weather. anonymity high taxes. And far from family.

Gibson and Mctavish?

Boston- need scoring. He plays D. They have room. Would he go there? Would they want him? Ulmark/poitras/carlo?

Buffalo: want to take a step. Need good players. Have tons of D. But also wingers.
He would be local.

Could you bet on power? Would Samuelson and a winger prospect and a pick get it done?

Carolina- probably wouldn’t give him bonuses. They also probably need a C.
But they would probably be willing to do Marner on a rental at 775k for necas.
If he were to sign. S would you get surcharge?

Colorado. Hard to see a fit.

Columbus- need to compete. Wanted him in the past. Close ish to home. But they have a bunch of wingers. If they would do jircek i bet it would work.

Wonder if Johnny hockey would come?

Dallas- would have to retain to get them through this year. Would they do Robertson?
He isn’t as good as Mitch. Gets paid less. Harley would have been my ask last year.

Marner would go there i bet.

Could they do stankoven plus???

Detroit- local. He was London based for a long time. They need stars and have prospects.
Compher and good prospects?

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This poll isn't about what you want to happen, or what you think should happen, but what you think is going to happen with the Marner situation.

I have no clue on this one, if I was forced to guess I'd say he leaves as a UFA, it feels like a coinflip whether he's on the roster in 26/27 still or not.
Here's the answers to the same question. :laugh:

Your answer would be 'B'

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The two most likely options are that he is traded this summer, or he is re-signed during the season to a long term extension. The third most likely option is that he walks as a UFA. There is pretty much zero chance he is traded during the season.

I don't know which is more likely out of a summer trade or an extension. The team hasn't had any guts when it comes to dealing with the core thusfar and an extension is the path of least resistance, but at some point they're going to shake things up and an extension is committing to more of the same.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think it's a lot more vague than many people assume. Too many unknowns, like the current state of the relationship between front office and player, how the player feels about staying in the city, how Ferris actually feels about things. If I had to put probabilities

Over the summer
40% traded 40% extended 20% planning on leaving as a UFA

If he's still a Leaf by camp
40% extended 40% leaves as UFA 20% traded

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafGrief

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Since I can't stand the thought of him playing another game in a Leaf jersey I know that's exactly what's gonna happen.

This team does not have the balls to upset all those fortnight playing kids who love Mitch and have his jersey hanging in their room and who cry when mommy and daddy take away their iPad for a few hours

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ah I missed that, yeah kill the thread then, my bad, I didn't see that.
I vote, leave this one and close the other. :thumbu:

Perhaps people have changed their minds?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Perhaps a poll on what we want to see happen with the Marner poll threads ?
I'm all for whatever helps some continue to lose their minds over this......hugely entertaining once you get past the redundancy.

Hopefully we can dive deeper into the Marner = Clarke Macarthur comparison. :laugh:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They will somehow botch this.

Pretty much this.

If they move him this summer, it'll end up badly for the Leafs.
If they trade him during the season, it'll end up badly.
If they wait until the season ends and re-sign him, it'll end up badly.
If he walks next summer, it'll end up badly.

As to the specific question, I think the most likely scenario is both sides agree to see how the season goes before any extension talks. We get through the season with one or both sides preferring not to commit and he eventually walks July 1 after another forgettable season (and short playoffs) where Mitch proves he's still Mitch.

It's not negativity, it's called learned helplessness.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Said after game 7 that Marner was going to stay, refuse to waive, play out the year with Matthews, put up career numbers, and then walk as a free agent - it's the Darren Ferris playbook.

I've seen nothing in the past 6 or 7 weeks that makes me change my mind.

I think egos and emotions and bitterness will play a part here, meaning this won't be a smooth or clean or easy breakup.

They can't/won't trade him this offseason

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Didn't vote, didn't see an appropriate option.

Based on nothing I'm leaning towards he gets moved out around the start of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad