Pre-Game Talk: North Side Story: Jets @ Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers better be a lot sharper to start than they were against Chicago.

Tippett better understand the Jets probably will try to change their game plan he needs to have some tricks up his sleeve not just play reactive.

Think we need to run

Kahun McDavid Pulju
RNH Drasaitl Yamamoto

RNH and Yamamoto need to bring something 5 on 5, being 0s is not gonna work.

For Kassian, Neal -- you've had shit seasons. Time to redeem that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You mean stats that don't even match up?

Chicago was on a tear at the end of the year and was one of the best 5v5 teams in the league after New Year's. They also beat us 2/3 of the games if I remember right.

Winnipeg we have beat a bunch this year and they have sucked lately.

I don't know why you bring up the Chicago situation as it's nothing even f***ing close to this one
Well I'm not on the ice playing the games. Just a fan, I can't fathom fear of the Winnipeg Jets. I chalk it up more to most people here not used to seeing the Oilers win much.

The Oilers learned their lesson last play ins and have had their most positive season in decades since.

I mean hey, you can approach every day assuming incoming disaster if you want to.
I'm not necessarily worried about Winnipeg. I'm worried about the Oilers. McDavid isn't going to put up multiple points every game. They need depth scoring and Mike Smith to continue playing as he has been (and for the love of God remain healthy).

I've stated that I think the Oilers will win but it's going to be very tight like most of the games between the two clubs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You mean stats that don't even match up?

Chicago was on a tear at the end of the year and was one of the best 5v5 teams in the league after New Year's. They also beat us 2/3 of the games if I remember right.

Winnipeg we have beat a bunch this year and they have sucked lately.

I don't know why you bring up the Chicago situation as it's nothing even f***ing close to this one

Its important to be negative every time out before pucks even dropped...

ummagonna just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not necessarily worried about Winnipeg. I'm worried about the Oilers. McDavid isn't going to put up multiple points every game. They need depth scoring and Mike Smith to continue playing as he has been (and for the love of God remain healthy).
Yes for the team to do well they need to do things that playoff teams do.

Winnipeg has been bad and Hellebuyck has been pedestrian this year.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Am I the only one who doesn't think this will be an easy series

I think it goes to 7 games and it will be an all out war

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

RNH, Kassian, Yamamoto, Neal, Kahun better be ready to go. This ain't the regular season, you're not winning sitting around watching McDavid and Draisaitl.

Time for other players to step up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well I'm not on the ice playing the games. Just a fan, I can't fathom fear of the Winnipeg Jets. I chalk it up more to most people here not used to seeing the Oilers win much.

The Oilers learned their lesson last play ins and have had their most positive season in decades since.

I mean hey, you can approach every day assuming incoming disaster if you want to.
Winnipeg is a team I don't worry about. No matter how good Hellebuyck is, they have no defenders that can even skate with McDavid. It's why we have won so much against them this year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
RNH, Kassian, Yamamoto, Neal, Kahun better be ready to go. This ain't the regular season, you're not winning sitting around watching McDavid and Draisaitl.

Time for other players to step up.
Neal has looked better recently. Him, Chiasson and Khaira looked really good last playoffs too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oilers better be a lot sharper to start than they were against Chicago.

Tippett better understand the Jets probably will try to change their game plan he needs to have some tricks up his sleeve not just play reactive.

Think we need to run

Kahun McDavid Pulju
RNH Drasaitl Yamamoto

RNH and Yamamoto need to bring something 5 on 5, being 0s is not gonna work.

For Kassian, Neal -- you've had shit seasons. Time to redeem that.

In defense of Neal, he's older, and he had a bad case of covid. He's been playing much better lately and has been his old self around the net lately. Last goal he scored was pure goal scorer goal. Most players don't get that one. It was such a nothing play by he banged it home with confidence. He has that kind of hand eye coordination around the net.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Winnipeg is a team I don't worry about. No matter how good Hellebuyck is, they have no defenders that can even skate with McDavid. It's why we have won so much against them this year

The Oilers haven't earned the right to "not worry" about any opponent in an elimination series. The play ins last year showed that.

We have two great players but the rest of the roster is not so great that we can just assume victory. Winnipeg likely will watch a lot of tape of what Montreal and Toronto did in playing us too.

We can win but we can never assume it will be simple. We're not that tier of team yet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers haven't earned the right to "not worry" about any opponent in an elimination series. The play ins last year showed that.

We have two great players but the rest of the roster is not so great that we can just assume victory. Winnipeg likely will watch a lot of tape of what Montreal and Toronto did in playing us too.
The Oilers have played Winnipeg hard all year so I'm not worried about how much they are going to try against them

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

We can win but we can never assume it will be simple. We're not that tier of team yet.
Right? We're the last team who should be overlooking an opponent. We certainly did last year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In defense of Neal, he's older, and he had a bad case of covid. He's been playing much better lately and has been his old self around the net lately. Last goal he scored was pure goal scorer goal. Most players don't get that one. It was such a nothing play by he banged it home with confidence. He has that kind of hand eye coordination around the net.
I think playing with a guy like McLeod has sparked him a bit too. McLeods speed gives Neal and Chiasson time and space to get into position to score.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Right? We're the last team who should be overlooking an opponent. We certainly did last year.
Okay but doom and glooming and trying to compare situations to last year is absolutely ridiculous. We didn't overlook Chicago. Team as a whole was rusty and Crawford decided to go all world before he retired. If that was a 7 game series, we win most likely win it.

I'm not saying pretend it's a sure thing, but being all doom and gloom is really sad.

We made the playoffs.

We are second in the division.

McDavid is having a literally legendary year.

We are going against an opponent that's struggled that we matchup great against.

Enjoy hockey a bit man. I get being negative when there is something to be negative but hockey is enjoyable right now, enjoy it with us and stop trying to arbitrarily suck the fun out of it.

Let's at least wait for us to fail in the playoffs before the sky starts falling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
DRY line needs to come through and score.

Cannot just rely on the one line McDavid is on.

The Ennis Draisaitl Yamamoto line did nothing in the Chicago series and that killed us. That needs to change.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I have 3 concerns heading into the playoffs:

-Sustained goaltending---well, it's Smith on top of his game or lights out in 10 days.

-Some of our D-men. Playoffs expose weak D-men and we will soon have our answer on these guys. Why do I get the feeling that bringing Bouchard further along (in terms of experience) would have been a good idea? Hopefully I am wrong on this issue.

-Secondary goal scoring. You know they will mug Mc-D and Drai so we better get something else down the scoring ladder. I agree that Neal could be a significant factor if indeed he is finally in game shape and yes he has looked better in recent games. I think Chiasson will also have to step it up--the boy has talent but he's daydreaming on a lot of nights.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Okay but doom and glooming and trying to compare situations to last year is absolutely ridiculous. We didn't overlook Chicago. Team as a whole was rusty and Crawford decided to go all world before he retired. If that was a 7 game series, we win most likely win it.

I'm not saying pretend it's a sure thing, but being all doom and gloom is really sad.

We made the playoffs.

We are second in the division.

McDavid is having a literally legendary year.

We are going against an opponent that's struggled that we matchup great against.

Enjoy hockey a bit man. I get being negative when there is something to be negative but hockey is enjoyable right now, enjoy it with us and stop trying to arbitrarily suck the fun out of it.

Let's at least wait for us to fail in the playoffs before the sky starts falling.
Again, I've said it for a while that we can win this series. But there are still lots of deciding factors, namely 97, 29, and 41. We will see what happens when the puck drops.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have 3 concerns heading into the playoffs:

-Sustained goaltending---well, it's Smith on top of his game or lights out in 10 days.

-Some of our D-men. Playoffs expose weak D-men and we will soon have our answer on these guys. Why do I get the feeling that bringing Bouchard further along (in terms of experience) would have been a good idea? Hopefully I am wrong on this issue.

-Secondary goal scoring. You know they will mug Mc-D so we better get something else down the scoring ladder. I agree that Neal could be a significant factor if indeed he is finally in game shape and yes he has looked better in recent games. I think Chiasson will also have to step it up--the boy has talent but he's daydreaming on a lot of nights.
Chiasson and Neal looked noticibly better last year in the playoffs than they did in the regular season. I think they are at the point of their careers where the playoffs is the only thing to really spark them, which could be good for us.

Reactions: nally

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again, I've said it for a while that we can win this series. But there are still lots of deciding factors, namely 97, 29, and 41. We will see what happens when the puck drops.
You can't even say a positive thing without throwing in negativity. I feel like we could win the cup this year and you would post "Well we won one cup, let's see if these guys could do it again, I don't think so"

Reactions: Kepler 186f

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You can't even say a positive thing without throwing in negativity. I feel like we could win the cup this year and you would post "Well we won one cup, let's see if these guys could do it again, I don't think so"
I'm just trying to be realistic. This series really could go either way, do you disagree?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think it goes 7, and not picking a winner until I know if Ehlers is in or not.

Will be a lot of fun.

Reactions: hn777

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm just trying to be realistic. This series really could go either way, do you disagree?
Well no frighten shit it could go either way. Every playoff series in the history of sports could go either way.

I'm not already going to be doubtful we will perform or go "well it's 50/50 good chance we still lose". Teams played great this year, can we go at least a playoff loss before we start doubting

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
DRY line needs to come through and score.

Cannot just rely on the one line McDavid is on.

The Ennis Draisaitl Yamamoto line did nothing in the Chicago series and that killed us. That needs to change.

Kind of strange comment. McD had Nuge. Drai had much of nothing to work with. ALL of Drais linemates had a combined 2 pts in the play ins, both being by Ennis. But those two small players, in my view just about the worst possible linemates for Drai, especially with Playoff level marking.

This season a huge difference is Puljujarvi, and he's being underrated in the discussion. Frankly this is a guy playing better than Laine, or Dubois, who the Jets obtained. This is huge for us, and if Nuge just plays to expected level we have 4 top forwards. 2 guys that should be able to play positive "2nds" on respective lines. We have FAR better D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad